• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I need a history lesson: University of Iowa Pre-Flight School? WWII

srqwho

pilot
We are in the process of moving and I came across something that my father gave me a couple years ago before I went to OCS. Below is a pic of a flag that he acquired somehow... I think I remember him saying he got it at Goodwill or a garage sale. Anyway, here is what wiki had to say (taken from the wikipedia entry on University of Iowa football):

1940s – World War & The Seahawks

The positive momentum that was generated for the program by the Ironmen of 1939 did not last long, as the nation geared up for World War II. Two factors hurt the Hawkeye football program in the 1940’s. The first was the three year absence of Coach Anderson. Anderson, a urologist, left the Iowa team to serve in a military hospital for the duration of the war. His departure left the Iowa team in the hands of two interim coaches: Slip Madigan in 1943 and 1944 and Clem Crowe in 1945.
The second factor that hurt the Iowa program was the emergence of the Seahawks. As the war approached, Iowa City was selected as one of five campuses across the country to host a Naval Pre-Flight school for soldiers in training. This Pre-Flight school formed its own football team, called the Iowa Pre-Flight Seahawks. The Hawkeyes and the Seahawks shared the University’s athletic facilities for the duration of the war. Naturally, the Pre-Flight school was seen as the more important concern, and the Hawkeyes were often second in line to use their own facilities. Nearly all the able-bodied men in Iowa City found their way into the Naval Pre-Flight school, while Iowa’s roster was mostly filled with players with conditions that exempted them from military service.
The results were predictable. The Hawkeyes compiled a record of 4-20-1 from 1943-1945. The Seahawks, conversely, had a record of 26-5 over three years, twice finishing in the AP top ten. The Seahawks had a 9-1 record in 1943 and finished the year ranked second in the nation. In 1944, the Seahawks had a record of 10-1 and finished sixth in the nation.
By the time Eddie Anderson returned from the war in 1946, the Hawkeyes were devoid of talent and once again had a losing mentality. Anderson coached Iowa for four more unspectacular years from 1946-1949 before returning to Holy Cross. Leonard Raffensperger, who had played for Iowa in the 1920’s, coached Iowa in 1950 and 1951.

Does anybody else know anything about this or can help me get a little more background about the history of this program? Thanks.

2hfl95h.jpg

[edit]​

VMO4

My father was an IP at one of these facilities at Bloomsburg State Teachers College in Pennsylvania in early 1944. He was one of two 0-3's ,plus two Stearmans, and an N3N.