• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I have a question

aBit-lost

Okay Maybe someone can help me out here...
First of all, I just found out that my boyfriend has an 8 year commitment and not a 4 year commitment which I am confused about. He will be in the reserves as an officer and I was wondering how many times I could expect him to be called into deployment within those 4-8 years.
Thanks so much,
Ashley

helo_wifey

Those of us who's SO's (significant others) are aviators the commitment is 8 years. The ladies with SO's in the other communities (Intel, Supply, etc) can fill you in on those requirements.

I don't know anything about the reserves, but I just wanted to say welcome to the forum. :) We're here to help!

*Edit, so I thought this was in the private forum..but its not. You should send a message to Kathy to join.

corvairdroptop

Commitments are for a total of eight years. Each commitment also includes some time that must be spent on active duty. SWOs, for example, will serve four on active duty.

The other years spent in "the reserves" can be very placid. If your boyfriend elects to stay in the inactive ready reserve there is only a small chance of being asked to do anything. If he prefers to be a drilling reservist he will be visiting reserve centers and runs a higher chance of being activated.

MasterBates

Just to be clear, Pilots & NFOs owe 6-8 years after wings (check your contract).

Whereas for SWO-daddies, the counter starts running when you commission.

McCPilot

SNA Final Select
Also, the 8 year commitment isn't always completely comprised of active duty service time. For example, pilots owe 8 years active duty time to pay back flight training. It gets confusing, but basically lets say an Intel guy (not totally sure what their commitment is) owes 6 years active duty time. After those 6 years, he'll get to go home, but he'll still be in the non-active reserves and he'll be available to be called up for 2 more years if the needs of the Navy dictate (6+2= the 8 year total officer commitment.) I'm fairly new at this, as I just signed my papers and was sworn in three weeks ago, but this is how it was explained to me. Hope this helps.

DevilDog9782

Ashley,
Most ground contracts are for 4 years active duty + 4 years inactive reserves. For the most part, this means he will only serve 4 years. As for the additional inactive reserve time - there is a very slight possibility he may get called up, but this is unlikely unless things really start to deteriorate. Inactive reserves is not the regular reserves you hear about - as an inactive reservist, you don't do anything military (drills, deployments, etc) unless you are activated - again unlikely but it does and has happened.
Keep in mind this is if he is indeed on a ground contract - air contracts, as talked about, are longer (6-8 years active AFTER winging = 8-10 years active duty)

Just realized you wrote that he will be a reserve officer - a relatively new program in the Marine Corps and one that I know nothing about. Maybe you could ask him though ;)

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Just to make things even a little bit clearer....

Most of us serve under 2 different obligations.

First, is the obligation to serve a total of 8 years. Pretty much anyone who joins the military has this commitment. The 8 years is a combination of active duty and reserve time.

Second, is any obligation for active duty time. Typically, this is some sort of payback for training received. For us aviator types it is somewhere between 6 and 8 years depending on service and designator/MOS. It means that we must remain on active duty for that time period.

While these obligations run concurrently, they are two different and distinct obligations. It is important to remember how they are different.