• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I had an idea!

Would rates under wings be cool?

• YES!

Votes: 12 11.4%
  • No!

Votes: 50 47.6%
  • Go back to your corner!

Votes: 44 41.9%

• Total voters

mike172

GO NAVY
So I was, just skimming the forums and suddenly, poof I had a good idea (at least I thought so) I thought it would be cool if under people's wings they had their rate. I don't know the feasibility of this idea, or even if its a good idea. I just thought it would be cool to see the rates of those you are talking to. What does everyone think?

Please don't flame me I just thought it would be cool.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
So I was, just skimming the forums and suddenly, poof I had a good idea (at least I thought so) I thought it would be cool if under people's wings they had their rate. I don't know the feasibility of this idea, or even if its a good idea. I just thought it would be cool to see the rates of those you are talking to. What does everyone think?

Please don't flame me I just thought it would be cool.

Do you mean their rank?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I thought it would be cool if under people's wings they had their rate. I.

No flame, but only the Navy has "rates," and only for enlisted sailors.

If you mean rank, I think it would be bad for the egalitarian nature of the forum. It's bad enough with the midshipmen who sign their posts,"MIDN Jones." If you feel a need to know someone's rank, PM him. You can unually figure it out after a few posts and reading someone's profile, anyway.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Mike, I appreciate the post, and the idea behind it. I think that some of the membership needs to take some more time and thought, and update their personal profile. I know many of you read our profiles when we answer your questions, so you can figure out what kind of answer you are getting, and how experienced the person who is posting really is. Well, the same is true for us winged bubbas on here. When we read a post from someone new, or we want to refamiliarize ourself on where the POSTER is at in training/application/etc, we can provide a better post.

There are a couple things that will stop my from replying:

1) No thought as to the question, ie the poster didn't run a search. Some of the best posts on older topics have been, "I read, this, went to this web page, and reviewed this, but I have a question about xxxxxxxxxxxxxx."

2) No profile info, completely blank, and no background info on the individual in the post. I am not looking for specifics, just "3rd year MIDN at NROTC unit, never flown before, prior active duty as xxxx, etc....." just as an example.

3) Finally, when we take the time to post replies, and I will argue that it is few and far between for this type of response, but we sometimes get the "what the hell do you know attitude, I read this here, and you are full of sh1t"....

Anyways, those are my thoughts on the subject. I don't think rank/rate are appropriate on the forum, and I agree with the comments above. I established the wings so it was easier to identify those that have been through the pipeline and training for everyone.

John

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
I could have sworn this thread was closed. Anyways, I agree with our beloved webmaster that posting rank/rate is inappropriate on the forum. I honestly dont care what rank anyone is on the forum. I mean, its commonsense that a guy with wings will probably be an >O-2. I have equal respect for everyone on here so having rank displayed would be really pointless. Give respect, and you shall get it.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Since the Webmaster reopened this thread, here is the pm I sent mike172 to try and explain things....

I probably could have been a little more diplomatic in the way I closed the thread. But after the rank/rate thing was explained to you, it was easy to see it was a bogus poll.

Officers have rank: Ensign, Lieutenant Junior Grade, Lieutenant, Lieutenant Commander, Commander, Captain, Rear Admiral (both 1 and 2 stars), Vice Admiral and Admiral

Enlisted have rank: Seaman (Airman), Petty Officer Third Class, Petty Officer Second Class, Petty Officer First Class, Chief Petty Officer, Senior Chief Petty Officer and Master Chief Petty Officer.

Enlisted also have rate: Yeoman, Aviation Ordnanceman, Boatswain's Mate, Aviation Electrician, etc. - there are way too many to list.

Usually an enlisted man's rank and rate are combined. For example: Aviation Ordnanceman Third Class Smith would have the rank of Petty Officer Third Class and the rate of Aviation Ordnanceman. When abbreviating it out it would look like AO3 Smith. Similarly Chief Yeoman Jones would be YNC Jones. The YN means his rate is Yeoman and the C means his rank is Chief Petty Officer.

To confuse the issue even more, for every rank there is an associated pay grade.

E1 is a Seaman (or Airman) Recruit
E2 is a Seaman (or Airman) Apprentice
E3 is a Seaman (or Airman)
E4 is a Petty Officer Third Class
etc.

O1 is an Ensign
O2 is a Lieutenant Junior Grade
O3 is a Lieutenant
etc.

Okay now it's time for more confusion. Officer have a designator instead of a rate to specify their specialty. It is in the form of a 4 digit number. For example, Naval Aviators (pilots) are 1310 and Naval Flight Officers are 1320. You will never see the designator with an officer's rank. It's more of an administrative thing.

Plus officers are also broken down into types;
Unrestricted Line (URL)
Restricted Line (RL)
Staff Corps

URLs are the pilots, NFOs, Surface Warfare (SWO), Submarine and SEAL officers. There are "eligible for Command at Sea" which means they command the ships, squadrons, Battle Groups, etc.

RL are things like Intel Officers, Engineering Duty Officers, Limited Duty Officers (former enlisted directly commissioned). They can only command within their specialty. For example, an Engineering Duty Officer might command a repair facility.

Staff Corp are the Doctors, Lawyers (JAG), Chaplains, Supply Officers, etc. Again, they can only command within their specialties.

If there are 2 officers in a boat or on a ship, the senior URL officer is in command. If only one is URL and he is junior to a RL or Staff officer who is also present, the junior URL officer is in command. For example, if you are a NFO Ensign in a liberty boat with a Supply Corp Captain - you are in change of that liberty boat and fully responsible for it and everyone in it. The only time the Supply Corp Captain would be in charge is when there were no URL officers in the boat.

Probably a bigger lesson then you wanted, but I figure I owe you for the snide comment when I closed your poll.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Anyways, I agree with our beloved webmaster that posting rank/rate is inappropriate on the forum.

Concur, but it would be kind of interesting to know if we had any admirals or other high ranking officers that were members. This however would defeat the purpose of having an anonomous forum. My suggestion would be to start a survey with some basic stuff like SNA or NFO with the option of choosing rank. This would keep it anonomous and still give curious new guys like myself some info. Anyone have any feeback? Bad idea?

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Eh....what's to stop me from voting that I'm an Admiral?

How about letting it be a private profile option? That way the admins can know, and they could compile stats if they desired.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
2) No profile info, completely blank, and no background info on the individual in the post. I am not looking for specifics, just "3rd year MIDN at NROTC unit, never flown before, prior active duty as xxxx, etc....." just as an example.

I don't like "empty" profiles. There are times when I'll look up someone's info prior to a reply just to see what I may be getting myself into or what type of reply is appropriate. I'll respond differently to someone who is waiting to start API than say someone who is just thinking about applying to OCS/ROTC/USNA (as an example).

Specifcally to Mike: You can get a good feel for someone's experience by reading their profile. FOr instance, if someone has 8 squadrons listed in their biography section, chances are they are pretty experienced and know what they're talking about. On the flip side, someone who just has "Applying, waiting, hoping praying" in their bio isn't going to be as experienced.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
URLs are the pilots, NFOs, Surface Warfare (SWO), Submarine and SEAL officers. They're "eligible for Command at Sea" which means they command the ships, squadrons, Battle Groups, etc.

Thanks for clearing that up HAL, I was confused on URL vs. RL.

MasterBates

I mean, its commonsense that a guy with wings will probably be an >O-2.

Not so, I went on my first workups as an Ensign. There are unwinged LTs in the TRACOMs...

Not sure about other commands, but here quals, (HAC, FCP, NVGI) count more than paygrade...

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Not so, I went on my first workups as an Ensign. There are unwinged LTs in the TRACOMs...

Couple of buddies that finished the Prowler RAG as Ensigns (put on O-2 a few weeks after), and I know of at least 3 LT's that are in various stages of flight school, one AF Capt that attrited, and a ton of O-2's in the tracoms.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Concur, but it would be kind of interesting to know if we had any admirals or other high ranking officers that were members. This however would defeat the purpose of having an anonomous forum. My suggestion would be to start a survey with some basic stuff like SNA or NFO with the option of choosing rank. This would keep it anonomous and still give curious new guys like myself some info. Anyone have any feeback? Bad idea?

There are active squadron COs who lurk and post on AW. Anonymity is probably the best way to go.

Brett

greysword

Boldly lick where no one has licked before
Okay now it's time for more confusion. Officer have a designator instead of a rate to specify their specialty. It is in the form of a 4 digit number. For example, Naval Aviators (pilots) are 1310 and Naval Flight Officers are 1320. You will never see the designator with an officer's rank. It's more of an administrative thing.

Enlisted have designators, too (NEC codes), um...sir :D

So, would my being a lowly third class petty officer sway how someone views my opinions if I had that by my name? Would someone in college not listen to my opinion because Brett, who I think is a Lieutenant, said something different? Um...I mean LT Brett...sir ;)

You can get the idea from my perspective...