• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I failed the ASTB, what now?

Nfech

Hi my name is Nate,

I just took the ASTB-E today and got pretty horrendous scores. I got 31 on the OAR portion and 1s and 2s on the AQR, PFAR, and FOFAR sections. I studied a lot of the math section over the past month or so. I wasn't as consistent with my studying as I would have hoped. Really I just studied for the Math section because I knew that would be the hardest. Im pretty bummed out that I didn't pass, but its a good thing that this wasn't my only plan. Any advice from the people on this forum? This was my first attempt at the exam.

Nfech

Hi my name is Nate,

I just took the ASTB-E today and got pretty horrendous scores. I got 31 on the OAR portion and 1s and 2s on the AQR, PFAR, and FOFAR sections. I studied a lot of the math section over the past month or so. I wasn't as consistent with my studying as I would have hoped. Really I just studied for the Math section because I knew that would be the hardest. Im pretty bummed out that I didn't pass, but its a good thing that this wasn't my only plan. Any advice from the people on this forum? This was my first attempt at the exam.

Actually it was a 32 but still pretty crap

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
Study again, reread the whole ASTB forum, take notes... Then retake the test when you’re ready. Or don’t. You know what you need to do.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hi my name is Nate,

Did you read the forums? There’s a ton of information you can find on your own.

No one is going to spoon feed you the answer...

exNavyOffRec

Hi my name is Nate,

you need to study, and to be honest I have yet to see a person go from 1's to a qualifying score on the ASTB so you have work to do.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
@Nfech, you didn't say what you were studying from....What references were you using? This thread has some great study pointers. I'd recommend that you read the entire thread. Many that have gone before you were faced with the same problems and have posted how they "passed" the ASTB. Also, other than the fact that you took the ASTB, we know nothing about you: Degree?, GPA?, SNA/SNFO? Why does this matter? Well, it tells us where you are coming from....Did you take Calc? Physics? Are you a tech or non-tech guy....etc. We are here to help, but we need more info in order to help. @RecruitingGuru is correct, there is a BUNCH of info that you need to filter through.

My last bit of advice: Study HARD for your next ASTB like it's your last chance.

danpass

Did you answer the 'reaction/what would you do' type questions with 'walk away', 'attempt to defuse', or whatever are the soft choices?

(my test had those ...)

Nfech

You're already getting enough nurturing, so I'll be "that guy". Maybe Navy (or Marine Corps) OCS isn't really the right path for you.
You might be right. I have been looking at other options and jobs that I could do. Really I think it is about finding what is right for me.

Nfech

@Nfech, you didn't say what you were studying from....What references were you using? This thread has some great study pointers. I'd recommend that you read the entire thread. Many that have gone before you were faced with the same problems and have posted how they "passed" the ASTB. Also, other than the fact that you took the ASTB, we know nothing about you: Degree?, GPA?, SNA/SNFO? Why does this matter? Well, it tells us where you are coming from....Did you take Calc? Physics? Are you a tech or non-tech guy....etc. We are here to help, but we need more info in order to help. @RecruitingGuru is correct, there is a BUNCH of info that you need to filter through.

My last bit of advice: Study HARD for your next ASTB like it's your last chance.
So I come from a non technical background. I got my degree in political science and finished with a 2.79 GPA which is pretty bad for applying for this sort of thing from what Ive heard. I have not taken Calc and the most Physics I've ever taken was from a freshmen highschool course. I only used one math study guide from here and I forget where I found it. I think I studied semi-consistently for two weeks. I only studied for the math portion but I didnt really do a run through to see if I could answer the questions really fast.