• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I Don't Know Whether to Laugh or Cry....

Cordespc

None
Contributor
What about the proposed Aviation Maintenance Officer Warfare Device?

We've all got a warm place in our heart for the maintainers, and AMDOs are almost the only officers left that are related to the aviation community that do not have their own warfare device. It looks deceptively similar to EAWS which leads me to wonder if it will be authorized for wear in conjuction with the EAWS pin, since a large percentage of AMDOs are LDOs/priors.

Yes, it will be earned via completion of a PQS....which is better than awarding it for completion of an eight week MOS school.

Attachments

• amo-school_logo.gif
    amo-school_logo.gif
    9.9 KB · Views: 67

snake020

Contributor
We do NOT want to go down this road:

airforcespecbadgesqx7.jpg

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
So does this mean Oceanography, FAO, and Human Resources are working on pin designs as well?

FAO- There has been no news of this, and considering the majority of us already have "real" pins, I doubt anyone is pursuing it.

(most Oceano and HR types are in the same position)

Shpion1

Contributor
Choose to cry

as a retired "weenie", I choose to cry. nothing like completing a "PQS" in record 6 months and then putting on a pin to impress the girls. BECAUSE, no one in your squadron will be impressed. and at a JIC, all will have it. likely you won't see any "non attainment letters" either. will be too easy.

but in the intel community we do this to ourselves. as we anld any warfare designated guys/gals who've worked in a JIC/ONI etc, knows, we are the epitome of the "self licking ice cream cone".

Thus I choose to cry and glad that I don't have this pin.

and as far as giving bling away, I've seen more than one MID with silver dolphins "earned" during their 2 week cruise. those who choose to wear them rank right there with those who claim prior enlisted service for being selected for boost during bootcamp.

GHEY, very GHEY.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Well, couple this with all the stellar work done by Task Force Uniform and we're sure to be a shoe in for "Metrosexual Service of the Year-2008."

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Funny. I'd never heard that phrase until today and your post was the second time in 24 hours that I've "heard" it. :D

Brett

A staple of the Army vernacular. Never heard it until the IA. Now I've heard it repeated plenty of times since returning to DC - back to my joint collaterals. (maybe I just blocked it out before.)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A staple of the Army vernacular. Never heard it until the IA. Now I've heard it repeated plenty of times since returning to DC - back to my joint collaterals. (maybe I just blocked it out before.)

Figures. I head it in the CAOC today.

Brett

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Doesn't the Army also have pins for every community as well?

if you're referring to the "lapel" pins, they do represent their branches in that manner. Similar (not exactly) to the USN's line officer stars vs. other weird embroidery on sleeves and shoulderboards.

I always thought it was a pretty cool tradition and an example of esprit de corps.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If I'm not mistaken, even the Submariners didn't have a pin until after WWII-ish. After all, they were the "Silent Service." SEALs didn't even get their pin until after Vietnam.

No, submariners got their pins in 1924. I can't find any official Navy sites that have the info, but this seems to be good info:

http://www.subadventures.net/Sub_03A_Dolphins.htm

I was amused to find some bad gouge at some NROTC sites, claiming that submarines are the Navy's oldest warfare community and Naval Aviation wings weren't authorized until the late 20's.

https://www.nrotc.navy.mil/submarineofficer.cfm

http://www.subr.edu/nrotc/Subs Career Info.pdf

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
if you're referring to the "lapel" pins, they do represent their branches in that manner. Similar (not exactly) to the USN's line officer stars vs. other weird embroidery on sleeves and shoulderboards.

I always thought it was a pretty cool tradition and an example of esprit de corps.

I guess those are more similar to rating embroiderey (community designation) vs. a warfare pin, which is earned?

Separately:

Are all those little Air Force Badges earned qualifications, or are they community designations as well (I always thought the wreaths around them were annoying; you can't tell what you are looking at until you are really close)?