• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I don't have much time! Suggestions?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Kbay
I deleted your link - it set my anti-virus to GQ and tried to download 3 different virsuses under the guise of updating Adobe Flash to my computer.

KBayDog

^ Yeah...I'm still cleaning shit off my computer from this.

TMI, buddy.

Don't know what you're talking about. Just to be sure, I've run scans from several different AV/Malware programs, with nary a hit. Oh well.

(BTW, your WoW account has been hacked. I need you to send me your credit card # so that I can verify that your account is in good standing.)

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Ya know Kbay, where I might have appreciated the 3 trojans if they had been a different type, trying to enter my backdoor twice and then trying to shove in 3 worms goes well beyond the normal JOPA shenanigans.

I had a total of 8 viruses from visting that website. I clicked the link for the next set of pictures about 8 or 9 times before my antivirus software started screaming at me.

I have Microsoft Security Essentials running all the time and also scan with both AVG amd Malwarebytes after I get a hit and Microsoft says its cleaned it up.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
All this talk about entering your back door...and worms sorta has me creeped out.

Ya know Kbay, where I might have appreciated the 3 trojans if they had been a different type, trying to enter my backdoor twice and then trying to shove in 3 worms goes well beyond the normal JOPA shenanigans.

I had a total of 8 viruses from visting that website. I clicked the link for the next set of pictures about 8 or 9 times before my antivirus software started screaming at me.

I have Microsoft Security Essentials running all the time and also scan with both AVG amd Malwarebytes after I get a hit and Microsoft says its cleaned it up.

I

egd33

pilot
Contributor
Back to pushups...free weights have helped me big time. Proportionally, my arms were a bit weaker than my chest and I was only doing like 50 pushups max. In 3 free weight sessions added once a week on top of the routine I already had going focusing ONLY on biceps and triceps (think triceps are what is paying off so much on my pushups...doing skullcrushers, and 2-3 other workouts mixed up each weak using drop sets or pyramid), I have gone up to 74 pushups in one set without losing form at all (in just 16 days). I am also taking a number of supplements (creatine ethyl ester, arginine ethyl ester, beta alanine, BCAAs, whey protein, etc), but I think the biggest payoff has been from hitting it extremely hard on free weights with a buddy of mine who is a seasoned weight lifter (from his D1 football days). Doing tons of pushups alone to try to up my max (and I was doing close, normal, and wide) just was not working well for me.

scarfus

FS SNA, March 25th OCS
Hand-Release Pushups. Often. These will train you across the entire range of motion, and will really help build your strength at the bottom of your pushup, where things tend to be the hardest.

If you dont know what they are: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTHCWFJtoQ8

I started a crossfit program a few months back. Since I did, I have done zero dedicated "push-up training" (with the aim of increasing my volume of pushups). We do these exclusively when a workout calls for pushups. As a result, my max set has gone through the roof.

One tip on these...when you reach the bottom position and your torso is on the ground, make sure you contract your core (as you would in a plank) the moment you place your hands back on the ground to start the up-motion. This will prevent you from sagging your ass and looking like a wet noodle. Enjoy.

natheo

FS SNA, July 8
As far as not prepared goes, I just, much to my embarrassment, found out that the loop I had been running is likely not actually 1 mile. I swear up and down that I mapped it out on Google maps last year as being a mile, and according to my phone GPS it was a mile last I checked, but when I took a second look at it the other day I found out it may only be around .8 miles. I've been running that at a 7 to 8 minute rate, usually 2 miles three times a week (It's a bit hilly in my defense), but now I'm worried about my run.

I went to the gym today and set the treadmill to 7.5 miles per hour, an 8 minute pace, 1.5 incline, to see where I was, and it was really "uncomfortable" after a mile. Unless this is a common issue for people on treadmills, I believe I'm a bit behind the 8 ball, but with that potential April 15 FS looming I'll be stepping it up.

Push-ups are up to 4x25 with 30 second rest breaks or so, I haven't maxed out lately. Last time I tried, maybe 2 months ago, I believe I reached about 50. Curl ups I'm just now starting to figure out, I've done almost exclusively planks until recently.

So I suppose I'm about where the OP was at, but switching the push-ups for the run. I was hoping to show up in the excellent category, but it looks like my run might keep me out of that.

djguernsey

Pro-Rec SNA - OCS Class Date 27 May 2012
Google maps is not really reliable. If you can drive the route, it can give you a rough idea. Your best bet is to probably try and find a high school track or something. I don't know how good this gouge will be, but when it comes to running, what I hear is that in order to improve you have to keep running regularly, and build up to your mileage. I don't know how old you are, but for 20-24, an 8min pace is right on the bottom edge of good. If you can try and find your mile pace and build up on it, and also watch out to make sure you don't injure yourself before OCS, you should be fine!

I've been doing beginner Crossfit for a couple months now. I have loved the variety of the program and the intensity of the workouts. I've had nothing but good experiences with it. It has also helped me in gaining general fitness knowledge. I do have to start increasing my off day cardio workouts, such as running. It has definitely helped my overall fitness (though I still have ways to go). However, if you do go to a gym, it can be expensive, and it isn't a fix all. But like with everything in life, you have to be smart about it.

I was close to 50 lbs over max-weight a year ago. I weigh in now just at/ right below max weight, and need to really up my PRT scores and cut off some more lbs. Considering where I started thought, the challenge has been intense, and it has been a long road. I can't really start to pat myself all that much on the back until I achieve that goal of commissioning, however. It is nice to have those goals to work for, to motivate you, to do that one extra lap around the block.

natheo

FS SNA, July 8
Fortunately I'm 25, although that sounds like such a copout. I actually live right by where I run, and I was concerned enough with it that I just went and checked. Almost .9 on my 20 year old car with slightly larger than stock tires, so I'll assume that I'm in the ballpark with .8ish miles to be conservative. You're right, I do need to hit a track. I've been careful about the injuries as well, I tweaked my knee on a vacation recently and the pain kept on until about 2 weeks ago. I laid off the running for a bit, as I felt going to OCS with a bum knee would be worse than going with a mediocre run time. Fortunately I've been able to get back to it.

Interesting that you were about 50 pounds over this time a year ago, I was as well, and 50 more before that. I'm right here with you, about 6 pounds under and trying to widen that gap. Congratulations on losing that, it's an accomplishment on its own.

KBayDog

Google maps is not really reliable. If you can drive the route, it can give you a rough idea.

While not perfect, MapMyRun is surprisingly accurate. It is a great tool for route planning, and my GPS (Garmin 405) agreed with it to within a few hundredths of a mile on a 5-mile run I did the other day.

That said, it sounds like you're training for time, so I'd recommend what the others have said - use a known-distance track for any kind of speed tests you might do.