• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I don't have much time! Suggestions?

Mr.Puff

I went from not being 100% sure I would be selected on Monday of last week to being sworn in on Thursday. My OCS date is 1 January 2012. Right now I run an Excellent low everyday of the week followed immediately by another qualifying time. I can also do 6 miles straight everyday, but my crunches and pushups are both at 40 in two minutes. These need to improve very quickly.

Just three days ago I could only do 30 pushups. Now I'm doing 40. I've been doing them everyday since Wednesday. I'll start out with a two minute test, and then I'll do 5 less on a second set. By then my arms are like jello so I have to do a pyramid of 10, which is 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1=100. During the pyramid you get to rest between sets if you cannot complete combined sets (i.e. 3+4). Yesterday I essentially did 175 pushups, but I can't do enough in a row!

Crunches are scheduled for every other day. I did 30x4 on Wednesday with 30 side crunches per side. On Thursday my abs were too sore for another workout. Yesterday I was able to do 40x1 then 30x3.

According to the OCS prep. manual I am right on track at week 4. I can't help but feel a little nervous with my class date so close. Do you guys have any suggestions? Should I join a gym for some light weight, high rep. workouts?

I'm going to take the weekend off because I have about four symptoms of someone who is overtrained from all of the running. That will give me a 4 day rest off of running and 2 days off of pushups and crunches. Tricep dips are probably on the menu with a walk and the OCS prep. stretch routine.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
...pushups... I've been doing them everyday...
Crunches are scheduled for every other day.
Switch this...

crunches/ab work everyday
Push ups/chest-tricep work every other day

Do these before your cardio work each day. Your cardio work out will be tougher...but that is the point.

...and as Kaybay said above...

Slow your roll Beavis and enjoy life. They'll fix you at OCS.

I'm 42 and I ran for an hour this morning. I have no idea how far it was but it got me back to my house in time to watch the Horns lose and consume more calories (Crown/Coke/Chili dogs) than I think I burned...I need a nap.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
On the morning of your 1st PRT you will be so anxious/nervous/scared of not making a passing score on it that you will more than likely outscore your best you have ever done, plus when you're running with everybody else around you you will be motivated to try and pass as many peope as possible. Now go drink a beer and watch football or something.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Your further ahead of the game than you give yourself credit. Enjoy as much of pre-ocs life as you can. You'll wish you did.

Mr.Puff

Thanks guys. You are helping ease the nerves.

I went ahead and did the strength and circuit routine with 30 minutes of biking at 75% HR on Saturday. Sunday was for recovery. Tomorrow I plan on running a 10:30 minute 1.5 mile followed by 3 miles at my leisure. Should I also do some crunches if I plan on a 2 mile run Tuesday with the circuit routine, 40x4 pushups, and 40x4 crunches?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
See above. You know you can pass the PRT with room to spare, sounds like you've got good endurance on running...you're ready, hoss. You're in a good spot; maintain what you've got, don't injure yourself over-training, and enjoy the freedom you've got left.

BTW, as long as you're passing the PRT, it really doesn't matter how many crunches and pushups you can do...they'll mash you until you can't do any more, however many that takes. The important thing is not to stand out by falling out. If you can pass your tests and keep up with the herd, you'll be fine.

BUDU

You're also allowed to rest in the up position for pushups. The DIs aren't exactly happy when you do, but it really helps to do pushups in short bursts. Do a set of ten, rest for a few seconds, then do another set of ten. When I tried it my pushups increased between the mid-PFA and the out-PFA by almost 30.

BackOrdered

Contributor
You're also allowed to rest in the up position for pushups. The DIs aren't exactly happy when you do, but it really helps to do pushups in short bursts. Do a set of ten, rest for a few seconds, then do another set of ten. When I tried it my pushups increased between the mid-PFA and the out-PFA by almost 30.

Whatever works, however I know the likes of the Black Ninja are long gone, but I wouldn't count on doing that if they still have the IN-PFA. Me personally, I practiced and busted out 60 perfect form by-the-book pushups as quickly as I could and took my knee, all drawing as little question or attention as nessessary.

Mr.Puff

Does this mean I can stay in the up position and arch my back while keeping my hands and feet stationary, or does my back need to remain straight?

BUDU

That was one of my DIs favorites during RPT--make us plank until everybody had realized they couldn't hide the fact that they were cheating.