• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I did it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

nugget81

pilot
Yesterday was the big day...I had PRK done. It hurt like hell for the first 3 hours afterward, but I feel much better today. If anyone has any questions about the procedure or healing afterward, please ask away and I'll answer questions as best I can.

nugget81

pilot
I spent $2500 for both eyes. I wore contacts wiith a prescription of -1.25 and -1.50. The best I could muster without the contacts was 20/70 and 20/100 for visual aquity.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Well, good luck. You've certainly done a brave thing and given some good insight.

nugget81

pilot
It's been 1 week since the surgery and my vision is awesome (20/20 left eye, 20/25 right). I still have some light halos at night, but the doctor said that they should go away before 4 weeks have elapsed. I can't wait to see the final results when I'm completely healed!

nugget81

pilot
It's now been 2 weeks since the surgery. Went to the eye doctor yesterday afternoon and I'm 20/20 in each eye, 20/15 when using both. Doc said that he expects that by the end of April my eyes will each be 20/15 and possibly 20/10. I am not seeing halos any longer and my doctor even cleared me to start flying again!! (I'm an FAA certified commercial pilot). I did the conventional PRK and I am completely satisfied with my decision to go through with this.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
nugget81 said:
It's now been 2 weeks since the surgery. Went to the eye doctor yesterday afternoon and I'm 20/20 in each eye, 20/15 when using both. Doc said that he expects that by the end of April my eyes will each be 20/15 and possibly 20/10. I am not seeing halos any longer and my doctor even cleared me to start flying again!! (I'm an FAA certified commercial pilot). I did the conventional PRK and I am completely satisfied with my decision to go through with this.

Wow, thats very impressive. I have 20/25 (20/20 with both eyes) and the optomist that I saw told me not to get it done. But i'd really prefer better. Did you put in your application for BDCP before or after the decision to get PRK?

nugget81

pilot
I had put in my application for BDCP before PRK. I was preselected for SNA, went to MEPS, found out that my vision wasn't up to par, and did PRK two weeks later. Now I have to go back to MEPS for an eye exam. I have to wait 3 months from the date of surgery. Luckily in BDCP, once an applicant has been preselected he/she has 6 months to get all final documents submitted. My package was submitted on Feb 16, I was selected on Feb 17 (which is rather unusual from what I am told). I did PRK on March 17, allowing me to go back to MEPS on June 17, keeping me well within the 6 month timeframe. Simple, right?

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
This might sound like a dumb question, but here it goes...

I'm a 1/C Mid and graduate this August. I got selected for SNFO. Is it still possible to get the PRK without it affecting my commission or service selection? I dont want to switch to pilot, but glasses and contacts for 13 years can have its toll on a person. Any help would be great. Thanks.

nugget81

pilot
I don't know about your case for sure, but I was able to get away with having the surgery because of the timing (see above) and the fact that I have not been final selected yet. My recruiter told me that other guys in the program would not be able to get PRK because they had already been final selected, and they would have to wait until after OCS. Keep in mind that there is a minimum 3 month waiting period after you have PRK, and in some cases that number goes up to at least 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.