• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I can't believe this!

Phrost_Bite

Future Flyboy
You guys may know me as the wiry fellow trying to put on a few lbs before I ship to OCS Sr. 2nd Inc in a few weeks. I've been applying all the helpful advice I've gotten such as lifting weights, eating more, protien shakes, etc. I even cut back on my cardio. So much in fact that I haven't ran I a week and a half. Yesterday I decided it was time to at least do a small work out so I don't turn into a complete fat ass. I was going to go for a short run, but my brother in law called and said, "Hey let's go play some basketball". I figured running up and down the court would be a nice alternative to the usual boring run around the neighborhood, so I said sure. I end up rolling my left foot and fractured my 5th meta-watchumacallit.

To make matters worse, I graduate in December and my OSO at this point isn't even sure if I will be eligable to go to Sr. next summer, or if I will have to reapply for OCC in January.

I also forgot to mention that this particular bone in my foot that I broke according to the doc often heals funny, if it heals properly at all, and might require sergery and all that other good crap that may cause me to be NPQ for the military period.

But wait, there's more! I now can't work for 90 days, and I am the only source of income in the house hold. Now I have to beg my parents for money so I can feed my pregnant wife and 18 month old son and hope I qualify for some kind of disability benefits.

I know there's nothing anybody can do about it and this crap freaking sucks! I just thought I could share a bit of my misery with my good old buddies at AirWarriors. I have plenty of it to go around...

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Bummer. I fractured my 5th metatarsal over the summer. It wasn't a trivial break either after I stayed on it much longer than a normal person should have. I was at The Basic School.

Yes, you're hosed for both increments this summer. However, I'm skeptical of not working for 90 days. I wore an isolation boot, stayed hydrated, and took 2000mg of calcium every day. I also elevated it every night. You know what, I stayed in the same training company and was able to be on full duty within 30 days. I don't know what you do, but I'm willing to bet you that it's not as tough on feet as most of the training at TBS. 90 days of light duty seems like a little much.

I'm not telling you to sack up and play through the pain because I'm not a doctor, and I'm not you, but what I am saying is that it might not be as bad as it seems right now. I'm proof of it.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
I also forgot to mention that this particular bone in my foot that I broke according to the doc often heals funny, if it heals properly at all, and might require sergery and all that other good crap that may cause me to be NPQ for the military period.

Question, do you have medical insurance right now?

Do not lose hope! I was in a situation much like yours in 2006. I was finishing my last year of college before applying for OCS when I rolled my ankle really bad playing football for a city league. After 2 months, my ankle did not heal on its own and required arthroscopic surgery to remove all of the loose bone fragments floating around in there. I had surgery on April 30, 2006. I spent 7 weeks on crutches and wasn't able to run for about 3 months. However, at 4 months after the surgery, I was running and everything just fine. I put in my package September 2007 and got picked up in October. Getting the waiver was not a problem, since I was able to do all the meps agility tests ok. The meps doc told me that they usually require a minimum of 6 months post-op before they will grant a waiver. Mine was 6 months on the money when I got mine. Do whatever it takes to get better, stay persistent. It can be done.

jtmedli

pilot
You guys may know me as the wiry fellow trying to put on a few lbs before I ship to OCS Sr. 2nd Inc in a few weeks. I've been applying all the helpful advice I've gotten such as lifting weights, eating more, protien shakes, etc. I even cut back on my cardio. So much in fact that I haven't ran I a week and a half. Yesterday I decided it was time to at least do a small work out so I don't turn into a complete fat ass. I was going to go for a short run, but my brother in law called and said, "Hey let's go play some basketball". I figured running up and down the court would be a nice alternative to the usual boring run around the neighborhood, so I said sure. I end up rolling my left foot and fractured my 5th meta-watchumacallit.

To make matters worse, I graduate in December and my OSO at this point isn't even sure if I will be eligable to go to Sr. next summer, or if I will have to reapply for OCC in January.

But wait, there's more! I now can't work for 90 days, and I am the only source of income in the house hold. Now I have to beg my parents for money so I can feed my pregnant wife and 18 month old son and hope I qualify for some kind of disability benefits.

I know there's nothing anybody can do about it and this crap freaking sucks! I just thought I could share a bit of my misery with my good old buddies at AirWarriors. I have plenty of it to go around...

Yeah man, keep your head up and just push through it. My PRK didn't go well, so now instead of being at OCS now and commissioning soon I've gotta wait til October or January. I had PRK 3x but no worries here.

Phrost_Bite

Future Flyboy

You guys won't believe this either! I went in for my follow up yesterday, and the ortho doc looked over my X-rays. He said that there wasn't any sign of a fracture. He ordered an MRI just to make sure. Got the results back this mourning... No sign of a fracture. It's sprain!! He said if my foot is feeling better in the next few weeks, I'll be okay to train! I'm up and walking around already with little to no pain and at this rate, I think I'll be good to go! Todays lesson: Don't always believe everything the doctors tell you. They are only human and make mistakes like the rest of us.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
You guys won't believe this either! I went in for my follow up yesterday, and the ortho doc looked over my X-rays. He said that there wasn't any sign of a fracture. He ordered an MRI just to make sure. Got the results back this mourning... No sign of a fracture. It's sprain!! He said if my foot is feeling better in the next few weeks, I'll be okay to train! I'm up and walking around already with little to no pain and at this rate, I think I'll be good to go! Todays lesson: Don't always believe everything the doctors tell you. They are only human and make mistakes like the rest of us.

Thats definitely good news. However, my ankle injury was classified as a sprain and never showed any breaks/fractures on e-xrays and was even tough to decipher with the MRI. The true test is when heal time has come, and gone. My ankle just never healed to the point where I could run over a half mile without the pain setting in. And I knew barely being able to run a half mile wasn't going to be good going through OCS. Not to mention there would have been no way I could have passed the MEPS physical test. (walking like a duck). They didn't realize the extent of the damage (inflamation / floating bone fragments) until they actually got in there with the arthroscopic equipment. Post-surgery, the doc was not surprised I was having problems.