• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hydronephrosis question

CL-Young

Hi Airwarriors, I know this has been asked once before, and I know the chances of getting in with this condition are pretty slim, but I would like to try anyway and am just seeking some information.

So, I have hydronephrosis. It was found when I was 18, and I got a renal sonogram a few years ago that showed that the state of my kidneys Haven't changed in 10 years or so. Im going to get another one soon to keep it updated. Urinalysis is normal, as is blood work. I am asymptomatic.

If I understand the process correctly, N3M will do a courtesy review and make a determination from there. What sort of information would N3M be looking for on my condition? As in, is there anything I should do besides sonogram, urinalysis and blood draws?

exNavyOffRec

Hi Airwarriors, I know this has been asked once before, and I know the chances of getting in with this condition are pretty slim, but I would like to try anyway and am just seeking some information.

So, I have hydronephrosis. It was found when I was 18, and I got a renal sonogram a few years ago that showed that the state of my kidneys Haven't changed in 10 years or so. Im going to get another one soon to keep it updated. Urinalysis is normal, as is blood work. I am asymptomatic.

If I understand the process correctly, N3M will do a courtesy review and make a determination from there. What sort of information would N3M be looking for on my condition? As in, is there anything I should do besides sonogram, urinalysis and blood draws?

You have been diagnosed with it, just that alone is grounds for disqualification, you fall under "history of"

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

So it’s been asked here before... what was the answer? It’s not like anything has changed medically.

Having a history is enough to DQ you. Furthermore this N3M doc will not even think of entertaining waivers despite how motivated you are to join.

Sorry.

exNavyOffRec

So it’s been asked here before... what was the answer? It’s not like anything has changed medically.

Having a history is enough to DQ you. Furthermore this N3M doc will not even think of entertaining waivers despite how motivated you are to join.

Sorry.

Sounds like the doc years ago, that one had the view "just go find another person"

CL-Young

Thanks. So, i know I am probably dead in the water for this, but I would like to try. If the navy does reject me, would the other branches, such as army or air force, be possible to try? I imagine the process for enlistment isnsimilar across branches.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Thanks. So, i know I am probably dead in the water for this, but I would like to try. If the navy does reject me, would the other branches, such as army or air force, be possible to try? I imagine the process for enlistment isnsimilar across branches.

Don't be surprised if your recruiter doesn't even allow you to submit documentation. Per the MANMED:

"(10) Current or history of hydronephrosis (591) is disqualifying."

It's pretty cut and dry. You aren't qualified and there's nothing stated about a waiver being entertained.

UInavy

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't be surprised if your recruiter doesn't even allow you to submit documentation. Per the MANMED:

"(10) Current or history of hydronephrosis (591) is disqualifying."

It's pretty cut and dry. You aren't qualified and there's nothing stated about a waiver being entertained.

Incorrect and incomplete. The waiver process for applicants with disqualifying conditions is exactly described 10 pages earlier in MANMED. Unless you have written direction that tells you to not submit waiver requests, you're doing the applicant and potentially the Navy a disservice. It may be more work, but it's the right thing to do. Also, there is nothing in the flowchart here: http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/news-stories-jf2016/waivers.html that shows "Recruiter refuses to allow applicant to submit documentation."

"15-31 Waivers of the
Physical Standards
(1) For some applicants, their current level of
functioning and/or state of health in spite of the presence
of a disqualifying medical condition warrants a
waiver of the standards.
(2) Waivers of the standards do not make an
applicant "physically qualified" but rather provide
the applicant the opportunity to enlist or commission
despite the fact that a disqualifying condition exists.
(3)The authority to grant a waiver lies with the
commander charged with enlisting or commissioning
the applicant and the specific program desired (e.g.,
Commander, Marine Corps Recruiting Command is
the authority for applicants desiring enlistment in the
Marine Corps). The medical authority to recommend
a waiver of the standards to these various commands
resides with the Chief, Bureau of Medicine and
Surgery. By direction authority to carry out this
function has been granted to:
(a) The Director, BUMED Qualifications
and Standards. Provides waiver recommendations
to: Commander, Marine Corps Recruiting Command;
Commander, Naval Services Training Command
(NROTC entry, commission of NROTC emollees,
commission of MMR, USNR emollees); Commander,
Naval Medical Education and Training
Command; Commander, Officer Candidate School;
Superintendent, U.S. Naval Academy; Superintendent,
United States Merchant Marine Academy
(USMMA entry); Commander, Navy Recruiting
Command (Health Professions Scholarship Program,
Nurse Commissioning Program). Additionally, the
Director, Bureau of Medicine and Surgery, Qualifications
and Standards provides guidance to the Navy
and Marine Corps Reserve commands regarding
physical qualification for retention of service
members in the reserves and to the recruit training
commands regarding retention of recruits found to
have disqualifying medical conditions."

CL-Young

Thank you everyone for the replies, and for being honest with me about my chances. I will gather what documentation I can on this issue (even for my own sake) when I go back to the doctor, and try from there.