• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hurricane IKE

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Pickle,

You didn't happen to see this guy out by Bob Hall Pier?

"videos'
(That is why I love the internets)

No, just a fat lady with back-hair...and that reporter had no sense of humor, I would have totally interviewed the bear...Geraldo to firefighters: "Thanks guys, don't touch the moustache"

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
If you have USAA insurance, they'll reimburse you up to $500.00 for spoiled/ruined food due to a power loss/natural disaster. We used them while I was up in Whidbey during a heck of a wind storm and subsequent power outage.

Ciao . . . .

That's pretty cool, I never knew that. Are you talking about the huge windstorm that hit a couple years ago right before Christmas?

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
So I'm on my way down to Pcola to check in for API and this happens...now I'm kinda stuck in the San Antonio area. Does anyone know how bad 10 is between Houston and Pensacola? Texas DOT is saying parts are under 2 feet of water. This is a bit of a problem for me.

MasterBates

Wait a couple days. Houston is AFU. Stay at the Randolph or Lackland BOQ, and call NASC to keep them appraised of WHY you are late. You are going to have to go up Dallas way (6 hours north of here) to find roads going east that might be OK.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
So I'm on my way down to Pcola to check in for API and this happens...now I'm kinda stuck in the San Antonio area. Does anyone know how bad 10 is between Houston and Pensacola? Texas DOT is saying parts are under 2 feet of water. This is a bit of a problem for me.

I would call STUCON in P'cola and touch base with them. They will know more about the situation. Number should be in your check-in packet and your orders.

On a side note, it looks as if Ike might pick up speed again and hit Nova Scotia as an extratropical storm in the next couple of days (though obviously not hurricane force). Interesting time of year, weather-wise

armada1651

pilot
Thanks for the recommendations, looks like hanging around here is my best/only option for now. Fortunately I'm staying with family in Fredericksburg (the hometown of ADM Nimitz) so I'm not running up a hotel bill or anything. I'm just hoping I don't get charged leave for my hurricane-stranded time.

Oh and I did try to get in touch with someone in Pcola but no answer on a Sunday morning, so I'll try again later.

nugget61

pilot
How'd everyone end up? Especially in Tx? Ike blew threw KY yesterday (no pun intended) and wreaked havoc. I know that everyone south of here got nailed, but it was still so strong that they were saying it was essentially a cat 1 hurricane when it hit (gusting 78mph for about 3 hours) and knocked about 500k customers into the dark. Pretty much noone here was ready for it. Trees are down everywhere, but here's a pic from campus (thankfully they have generators):

IMG_0240.jpg

Hope everyone's doing alright.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here's Ike coming ashore at Crystal Beach, TX...

stormbrewin.jpg

Not really from Ike, but it's a cool picture.

armada1651

pilot
How'd everyone end up? Especially in Tx?

I drove 10 from San Antonio to Pensacola yesterday and it was alright. There were a few spots you could see a lot of debris on the roadside (spots where it had been underwater) and there were definitely lots of trees, telephone poles, billboards, etc. down. But I didn't see much other than the interstate.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Sad to hear, but it still confuses me how in this day and age anyone dies from a hurricane in the US.

nugget81

pilot
Sad to hear, but it still confuses me how in this day and age anyone dies from a hurricane in the US.

Two words -- Complacency and Stupidity. I was watching a Houston news broadcast (not sure why it shows up on my satellite, but that's neither here nor there) and they interviewed some people waiting in line for FEMA handouts. One family stated that they didn't want to leave because when they tried to for Hurricane Rita their plans didn't work out so hot. I laughed to myself because I knew right then that the family had NO plans whatsoever. Rather, they knew the risks and decided that trying to save their stuff and not spend "extra" money was more important than their own lives. With that type of attitude in America, I wonder how more people don't die from hurricanes in the US.:eek:

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Yeah, this is true. I just can't imagine how a sane person can wake up the morning of the big day, and say to themselves "I may not make it through this, but I'm going to stick it out". Do people not realize that their stuff is going to be destroyed and/or get washed away whether or not they are in their house?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
News sez today that the Authorities are looking at their legal options to force the last few holdouts on Bolivar to leave for their own safety. No power or water, not going to be back on any time soon, etc.

After all, Texans always respond well to the government forcing them off their land...

efini_kid

I live in The Woodlands, which is a town about 40 miles north of Houston. Everything is just starting to come back online here. My house still does not have power but im staying with relatives who got their power back today. The lines for gas are crazy (which is to be expected). I work for Marriott here in the Woodlands and my hotel hasnt had power since 4 am saturday. This is also my first day off since Thursday, which im not complaining about cuz im getting paid for 24 hours per day and ive been working for 5 straight days. i love overtime, haha. I spoke with the local sheriff office today and 80% of the woodlands should have power by tomorrow night. The biggest problem here is the amount of tree damage.

this is just my personal experience with Ike.