• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hunting & Fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew

-Within 100 nm of P'cola you can deer hunt, coon hunt, hog hunt,turkey hunt,rabbit hunt, squirrel hunt, duck hunt, dove hunt,quail hunt, big game fish, trout and redfish, and bass fish. 40 nm south of Pensacola Pass is some great dolphin,wahoo, tuna, white marlin, and blue marlin fishing when conditions are right. Usually May-November. And there are plenty of charter boats that you can get 10 of your buddies on and go on a over night trip for $1000-$5000. (depending on crew and boat). Then the Mobile River delta has a large wildlife management area which is open to the public to hunt on. Also, there are a few guided hunting camps which you can pay to go hunt on. I grew up and live in Bay Minette AL, which is about 45nm northwest of P'cola and I know that if you get time while at NAS,WHITING,OCS,PRIMARY, etc... you can find a place to hunt or fish!!!!
"Kick the tires an light the Fires"

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Well... don't know about the rest of you guys, but the Duck hunting is pretty sorry right now. It's been open since Thanksgiving day, and I haven't been once. My dad and the rest of our hunting crew has been, and the word is no good. No one is getting any birds anywhere. We know some men who have a place leased out in AK. If you know anything about duck hunting, AK is a prime place for it, and they aren't even doing any good over there. I guess the ducks just haven't moved down just yet. Man, I surely hope they start the move down. This is about the third or fourth year in a row that the season has started, and unfortunately ended, in solitude.

So I was wanting to know the hunting report in your neck of the woods, wherever you may be. It doesn't have to be waterfowl. Rifle deer season is underway now, so I'm sure someone has bagged a nice buck for the holidays. I'm not a big deer hunter, but I guess I'll have to take the .308 to the duck blind with me since I anticipate a slow start. Alright, Christmas Vacation is on, and I absolutly love that movie. I know it by heart. Anyways, safe hunting and happy holidays.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm not much of a duck hunter. I did do some predator calling last weekend. I called in three coyotes and killed one. The brush is so thick down here that that little 222 deflects of all kinds of branchs. My goal was to bag a bobcat so I can have 2 cat rugs, but it wasn't a good weekend for predator hunting. The winds were up and it was near full moon. I'll be heading out to west Tx next week and I'll definitely do some hunting there.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
I thought I'd keep this thread alive with some more hunting pics

I'll let y'all guess how much this thing weighed, keep in mind, he's already gutted and it's dark so it really doesn't do him much justice.

115572.jpg

115575.jpg

I took my little brother on his first hog hunt and he shot this monster with my Browning 270.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd guess around 300 live weight - kinda hard to tell from the pic. He's got some tusks, that's for sure. We've got some monsters where I used to hunt - not the kind of animal a bowhunter wants to have a confrontation with unless I'm still in the tree...

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
My brother made a nice shot, rarely have I ever dropped a hog with one shot, even with my270 or '06, they're just plain tough, but he dropped him in one shot. Where abouts did you grow up ben?

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Grew up in Waco and hunted in San Saba County. If you're not familiar, it's about halfway between Waco and San Angelo. Probably also about halfway between Abilene and Austin, but I'd have to check a map to be sure. I shot a MONSTER boar two years ago... my arrow didn't pass through and I didn't ever find him. I made a great shot and I know he died, but those animals are freakin tough. I'd guess around 450-500lbs. He was about the same size as a 55 gallon barrel. You're a West TX guy, right?

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
West Tx born and bred. Grew up in Pecos, Marfa and Ft Davis and went to College in Alpine, Sul Ross St Un. Lots of good hunting in the Mtns out there.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
I just read an awesome quote that I think pertains to this thread:

There is room for all GOD's creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Hunting with a C-12

I know nothing about this other than I got it from a buddy in an email and thought it was cool. Venison anyone?

147251.jpg

147254.jpg

147258.jpg

147259.jpg

147260.jpg

147262.jpg

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Thought I'd keep this thread going...

Here's a sting ray I caught a couple of weeks ago at Opal Beach, which is just east of Pensacola beach. That's my little brother there with me, he caught a 3' black tipped shark, I'll post that when he sends me the pic.

173955.jpg

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nice, looks like I have some things to look forward to. That is if there is such a thing as free time...

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
I got to fly one of our TH-57Cs to Houston, then me and a bud rented a car in order to get out to Ft Davis.....shew what a drive! I know what you're thinking....what not just fly all the way to West Tx. Well, there were 3 of us, 2 students (myself included) and one instructor (Maj)....and the Maj is from Houston so being that he outranks us, we landed in Houston "David Wayne Hooks". Anyway, me and Dan (the other student from NY who has NEVER been to Texas before, much less hunted) drove the 10 hours to Ft Davis for a solid 3 days of hunting in hopes of taking a bull elk post rut. We were also allowed one White Tailed buck, and 'told' to kill all the predators, hogs, and Aoudad we saw all on 65 sections a few miles north of Ft Davis. Well, the weather was poor, and being pretty high up in the Davis Mtns the fog rolled in. Glassing the Mtns was no longer an option. I wore that poor yankee out walking up and down Mtns in hopes of stirring something up. Saw some hogs down in a canyon and put a stalk on them, but they gave us the slip. The last day the fog lifted in the lower part of the ranch so we decide to call. For gear we have an electronic predator call from Cabelas, I'm using a Rem 7600 270, and Dan is using a Ruger 77 6mm. Anyway we set up on this ledge overlooking a huge flat. Looked like the perfect stand. After 2 minutes of calling, 4 fox come out of the rocks to the left of us, we usually don't mess with them. One actually jumped over my legs while I was in the prone. They eventually wonder off, and about 30 minutes later I see a coyote way out there making his way towards us. I wanted Dan to shoot it for his first confirmed kill and I had explained that if you are still enough they'll come in real close. Well he gets about 300 yards out there and I hear him shoot. Caught me off guard, we I had him in my sights the whole time and saw that he shot low, but the coyote just trotted a few yards and stopped, so I put the cross hairs right between his eyes in hopes that would be enough Kentucky Windage for the drop. I heard a zzzzzzzthud so I had no doubt I hit him. Couldn't see him in the tall grass though, after I shot I heard some rustling in the catclaw below the ledge so I call Dan over and tell him to get ready. And I threw I rock down in the catclaw and Javalina scatter. I wait about a minute and decide since he's not gonna shoot I will, and dropped 2 right away and hear him scream, he had laid down right beneath me (I was standing) and my shot deefended him (crazy yankees) not to mention that on his first shot at the coyote the scope from that 6mm busted his nose pretty good and blood was streaming down his face. He finally gets a shot off and gets his first confirmed kill. I was using 130 Ballistic SilverTip by Win and that bullet struck the coyote square in the nose at a little more than 300 yards. I rifle I was borrowing was SUPPOSED to be sighted in at 200, but later found out it was sighted in at 300. It really tore his face up and I'm hesitant about putting those detailed photos on here, if anyone wants I can email them. Here are a few pics:

Me and the Coyote:
224708.jpg

Me and the lower part of the ranch:
224717.jpg

Dan and his first confirmed Kill, a nasty Javalina:
224713.jpg

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Been doing a lot of fishing lately too. Now that I have my cloud card I'll be hunting/fishing a lot...might as well live it up these last couple weeks of flight school. Anyway, me and a bud have been night surf fishing at Navarre and have been tearing up the reds, blues and rays. Here's a pic of a 25" red I caught, I don't have the others developed yet...soon enough.

224720.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.