• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HUMMER = The Future of the Chinese Fire Drill ???

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Let the chi-coms have em. Personally I don't like HMMVs. I think they're great for wide open terrain and the wide wheelbase and high clearance make it generally capable on an open field. But I don't really understand the point of having that vehicle in an urban environment where mobility should be more desirable. Not to mention a heavily wooded environment where getting between a small gap between trees would be beneficial as opposed to taking the long way around.

Bring these back or do something better.
1944-ford-gpw-military-jeep-1.jpg

The reason I like the Jeeps is because an Army Major commented on a tactic used by the British in Afghanistan called the "porcupine." They use an open vehicle and have rifles pointed out with several guys on the ground walking by the vehicle.

He noted that this tactic deterred sniper fire because if a sniper were to fire on any one of them the others could easily identify them because their field of view was greater than if they were sitting in an armored HMMV looking through a small window.

I thought it was an interesting idea. I like the little Jeeps though. They would be cheap to make and you could pump them out quick. Just my 2 cents.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
This is how they do it P.I. style. I rode around in these when I went to the Philippines back in 04'.

Jeepney.jpg

jeepney.jpg

And they even have a Kobe Bryant Jeepney...

kobebryant_jeepney_manila.jpg

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
Let the chi-coms have em. Personally I don't like HMMVs. I think they're great for wide open terrain and the wide wheelbase and high clearance make it generally capable on an open field. But I don't really understand the point of having that vehicle in an urban environment where mobility should be more desirable. Not to mention a heavily wooded environment where getting between a small gap between trees would be beneficial as opposed to taking the long way around.

Bring these back or do something better.
1944-ford-gpw-military-jeep-1.jpg

The reason I like the Jeeps is because an Army Major commented on a tactic used by the British in Afghanistan called the "porcupine." They use an open vehicle and have rifles pointed out with several guys on the ground walking by the vehicle.

He noted that this tactic deterred sniper fire because if a sniper were to fire on any one of them the others could easily identify them because their field of view was greater than if they were sitting in an armored HMMV looking through a small window.

I thought it was an interesting idea. I like the little Jeeps though. They would be cheap to make and you could pump them out quick. Just my 2 cents.

I knew you wished you had my jeep!!! TJ > XJ

Bevo16

pilot
Maybe the Chinese will have the sense to put a good engine in that thing so it can get decent mileage and power. GM totally missed the boat on the Hummer concept. It could be a luxury SUV and get 20 MPG if they had put a decent turbo diesel engine in it. Of course, GM has the Duramax which sucks nuts compared to the Cummins.

brownshoe

Contributor
Maybe the Chinese will have the sense to put a good engine in that thing so it can get decent mileage and power. GM totally missed the boat on the Hummer concept. It could be a luxury SUV and get 20 MPG if they had put a decent turbo diesel engine in it. Of course, GM has the Duramax which sucks nuts compared to the Cummins.

Yeah, no kidding! I was given an edict last year, told to find a more “thrifty” company vehicle for my everyday driving, the CRV is what I ended up with. Oh I still have the Tahoe, for when I need a REAL truck,;) but the Honda is my daily driver now. I too wish GM had better motors I could still be driving a Tahoe everyday. Crap my personal 86 GMC with a 350 and a Rochester gets better gas mileage then the newer trucks.

Steve

Attachments

• tahoocrv.jpg
    tahoocrv.jpg
    878.8 KB · Views: 104

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I've seen that building behind you before, Steve...just can't remember where it is.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.....I too wish GM had better motors I could still be driving a Tahoe everyday....
Huh ???

My '89 K-5 Blazer (350 CID) got 375,000 miles on it, and STILL would accelerate goin' uphill ... and did not burn any oil .... :)

And then the lower hose failed .... on the freeway ... :(

Toast.

But it was a great engine & a great vehicle.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
In buying Hummer, the PRC company is not getting AM General and its division that produces military vehicles, is it? Our government has done many dumb things long before the current dufuses drove up, but will someone knowledgable pls confirm that they're just getting the retail vehicle (Hummer) operation. Thanks.

flyerstud4

I thought it was an interesting idea. I like the little Jeeps though. They would be cheap to make and you could pump them out quick. Just my 2 cents.[/quote]

A few problems I see with your plan there PEWPEW. How are you gonna Uparmor a jeep? Do you know how much that stuff weighs? Little cheap jeeps are not going to be able to carry that kind of weight. My next piont is that are you going ask that Marine or Soldier to drive in an open, thinly armored jeep through the streets of Iraq and Afganistan? If you're not willing to do it yourself, then you can't ask those guys to do it either.

phrogpilot73

How are you gonna Uparmor a jeep? Do you know how much that stuff weighs? Little cheap jeeps are not going to be able to carry that kind of weight.
You uparmor a jeep the same way you uparmor a HMMWV. By throwing heavy armor on a vehicle without modifying the suspension. The current uparmor kits, the doors are 400 lbs a piece, and the suspension is the same as it was when the HMMWV was introduced. We need a new vehicle. Period. (And the MRAP ain't it).

flyerstud4

I don't know of anything on the drawing board... but i will say that your standard jeep wouldnt have enough balls to move all the armor effectively.