• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Huffers and Helos (aka How do you crank your ride?)

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Here's a silly question...feel free to move it to the stupid questions: Do helo's have an external power/huffer receptacle?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
External power, for most, yes. For those who have batteries or APUs that aren't working, or for maintenance purposes. Or for TH-57s, for those squadrons too p-whipped to manage TOT in the cockpit or who took too long to do the checklist.

External huffer, no.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Here's a silly question...feel free to move it to the stupid questions: Do helo's have an external power/huffer receptacle?

The -60 can be started via huffer. Just make sure the fuel bubbas on various DDGs don't try to refuel you there....

Lawman

None

We call it an AGPU but yeah all our aircraft have them.

To add to that we can also self start other aircraft if you have the hose and it has been done in combat no less.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
The -60 can be started via huffer. Just make sure the fuel bubbas on various DDGs don't try to refuel you there....

Actually the B was built without huffer start (and the smallboys don't normally have huffers either... come to think of it not much yellow gear at all... so the grapes on those might have never even seen one). The engines start from air from the onboard or crossbleed only.

@Lawman- buddy starting is something awfully handy to have in your bag of tricks.

Oddly enough on the B, IIRC you can test the rescue hoist using only external power (blades folded and I suppose inside the hangar if need be), unlike the F/H- spotted, turning, airboss watching the clock... :)

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Oddly enough on the B, IIRC you can test the rescue hoist using only external power (blades folded and I suppose inside the hangar if need be), unlike the F/H- spotted, turning, airboss watching the clock... :)

The H does not have the utility hydraulic system, it powers the hoist off the backup pump just like the Bravo.

To run the hoist on the F you need to have the rotor spinning.

Jim123

pilot
The H does not have the utility hydraulic system, it powers the hoist off the backup pump just like the Bravo.

To run the hoist on the F you need to have the rotor spinning.

Ah, thanks... probably one of those things that made the most sense on paper even if it didn't ever make perfect sense.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator

Really, you guys have an actual huffer air recepticle? All the helos I've worked with have electric and sometimes hydraulic hookups, but I didn't know the 60 used an honest to god huffer. Learn something new every day...

helolumpy

pilot
Contributor
Really, you guys have an actual huffer air recepticle? All the helos I've worked with have electric and sometimes hydraulic hookups, but I didn't know the 60 used an honest to god huffer. Learn something new every day...

The primay means of starting an H-60 is using the APU. The APU (which starts off a hyraulic accumulator) sends compressed air to the starter motor of the T-700 to get it moving.
The huffer is another means of starting the H-60 though in 17 years, I never needed to use it. (If the APU is down then the aircraft is usually considered down as well)

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
You *can* use a huffer - or even another 60 - but you still need electrical power and I'd wager 99% of starts are done on APU.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
Actually, you can start the -60 with only DC battery power and a huffer. You are very much starting in the blind though because you have no indications until you you get the rotors up to 100% and get AC power. No Nr, TGT, oil pressure, Ng or anything else until you have AC power.

I think it is closer to 99.99%

helolumpy

pilot
Contributor
Actually, you can start the -60 with only DC battery power and a huffer. You are very much starting in the blind though because you have no indications until you you get the rotors up to 100% and get AC power. No Nr, TGT, oil pressure, Ng or anything else until you have AC power.

Don't let the Wing nazis here you mention this fact.... you get a visit from the 'Safety Fairy' who will make you fill out a 4 page ORM sheet to do ground turns!!!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

How do you do this w/ DECUs? What powers the ignitor if there's no 400 hz power for the alternator? Or does turning the Ng start powering the DECU?

And it's very likely I may forgetting a Natops paragraph or two (or page).

helolumpy

pilot
Contributor
How do you do this w/ DECUs? What powers the ignitor if there's no 400 hz power for the alternator? And it's very likely I may forgetting some a Natops paragraph or two (or page).

You don't need the DECU to start the motor, it's all HMU until the engines get up to speed, therefore 400Hz is not required. (Side note the 400Hz is backup power to the DECU in the event that the alternator fails)

The igniters are powered off a winding from the alternator, so once you get the compressor to roll over, the alternator will generate enough power to fire the igniters.

It was one of those discussion items that you heard of back in the RAG in the mid-90's (HS side, I can't speak for the LAMPS folks) on how you could start up if you lost the APU couldn't get external power.

You need to start #1 first since that start valve is DC powered. #2 start valve requires AC power so you'll have to start #1 and then engage the head to turn on the main gens, then start #2 either off the huffer or crossbleed.

Since you don't have AC power when you start #1 and bring the head up to speed, you will not have any VIDS or fire lights. The HS/HSC Wing has it as a prohibited procedure in the Wing SOP since they didn't want folks starting motors without fire detection lights or VIDS.

Jim123

pilot
^^^^^^^^^^^^ Make it stooooooppppp!!!!! (HAC board PTSD :) )