• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Huey (or Cobra) input wanted

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
To cut through the BS--let's be real. The skid mentality treats FNGs much differently than other communities. New guys everywhere need to STFU and learn, but skid guys will have them brief and lead two levels above their actual qualification level, e.g. a copilot is briefing and leading sections. That might be justified, based on their ordnance mission, but don't write it off as wanking.
Each platform has its personality. Choose based on the mission, vice the details. The airframe and the community are just background noise.

I've never met a skid guy who complained about this. Sure they mention it, but realistically they want to be in their community so they're willing to work for it. I personally don't see a problem with pushing upgraders to be tactically competent and more professional aviators. All of the P-3 communities Class As in recent history have been caused by golden children who were put into positions based on their skills outside of flying which is fine to a point, but safety of flight should and mission success should never take a backseat to, well anything else. Hammering that in early serves a purpose (to create proficiency and competency) and I'd rather throw an uprgader in the deep end of the pool at home when the only thing on the line is their pride and a good bit of embarrassment if they fuck it away then coddle them a long in the relatively stable home cycle training environment then turn them loose with zero real experience in real world situations as soon as they're qualified (which tends to be the way the maritime community does it, and we rarely carry weapons). I'm amazed that opportunities for professional growth and competency are being shy'd away from because they're deemed as too difficult by dudes who go through difficult officer accession and training programs and then all then hurdles of flight school. Who knows, maybe that's by design so the Skid community won't have to waste resources on someone they'll end up sidelining because they don't really want to work to be there anyways.

azguy

None
^ Zippy, interesting point. This is an issue in the SWO community too. Guys would rather play it safe than take real risks due to career implications.

jtmedli

pilot
^ Zippy, interesting point. This is an issue in the SWO community too. Guys would rather play it safe than take real risks due to career implications.

Pretty sure that's a "Big Navy" induced issue across the board.

jtmedli

pilot
^ Easy killer...tactical 60 squadron...ya...go get me my mail...

...says the SWO. Clearly you know precisely dick about how the CVW works. There is plenty of tactics pain to go around.

Well that was a pretty dick thing to say...

I guess to answer the original question: Skid guys are assholes...but we're still cooler than SWO's apparently.

Yeah. That guy ^ just reinforced your point.

azguy

None
...says the SWO. Clearly you know precisely dick about how the CVW works. There is plenty of tactics pain to go around.

Yeah, as a "shoe," I do know dick about how the CVW works... Whereas those knowledges will come later for you...

Point is... yes, sure there are very, very few rotorheads that have shot a Hellfire in combat or dropped frogmen off in the sand... keep in mind, many, many more SWOs that have boarded a non-compliant dhow/ship or shot TLAMs. But let's keep in real here bro... 98% of the time, -60 guys are picking up my moldy lettuce and 2 month old mail...and we appreciate it!

If you have reports of super awesome shit that Navy -60 pilots are doing, hit me up for JWICS address so I can share in your successes...lol...

HueyCobra8151

pilot
You win?

I think the original poster should follow azguys advice and try and go SWO out of HT's, sounds like you will be boarding ships and shooting TLAMs nonstop left and right!! Who knew being a SWO was so intense all the time!

azguy

None
You win?

I think the original poster should follow azguys advice and try and go SWO out of HT's, sounds like you will be boarding ships and shooting TLAMs nonstop left and right!! Who knew being a SWO was so intense all the time!

No joke, you're talking to a guy that was a die hard pilot wannabe until that last minute. I totally believe being an -18 driver is the best job you can have as a Navy O... Wasn't worth the risk to me (with no prior flight experience) to go to fight school and get props or helos.

And yes, if I were at HTs, selected for helo, I would absolutely go SWO...or -18 NFO, or Sub driver, or bartender, or...well...you get the point...

BigRed389

None
No joke, you're talking to a guy that was a die hard pilot wannabe until that last minute. I totally believe being an -18 driver is the best job you can have as a Navy O... Wasn't worth the risk to me (with no prior flight experience) to go to fight school and get props or helos.

And yes, if I were at HTs, selected for helo, I would absolutely go SWO...or -18 NFO, or Sub driver, or bartender, or...well...you get the point...
:eek:

I'd standby for some serious flamespraying.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
... keep in mind, many, many more SWOs that have boarded a non-compliant dhow/ship or shot TLAMs.

Pssssst. Who do you think was covering you on those non-compliant boardings? For the last 20+ years?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Whereas those knowledges will come later for you...
But let's keep in real here bro... 98% of the time, -60 guys are picking up my moldy lettuce and 2 month old mail...and we appreciate it!

And you and your bro's are responsible for unclogging his shitters and giving him hot water, and sucking at those things pretty hard. Whats your point?

I can't figure out if you're being sarcastic, and trolling for attention or...

If you are the subject of your own example...

Either way, good luck to you in your trade of choice. At least those who showed up to flight school, regardless of the outcome, never have to go through life wondering what their lives would have been like if they hadn't passed on the chance to go. A lot gets lost on the internet, but if your posts are a reflection of your personality in public, you likely never would have made through primary. Thanks for stepping aside and giving someone else an opportunity to follow their dream.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You made the right decision... for all of us. Your sarcasm is much more suited for a SWO wardroom, than a ready room.
It's fitting that a skid Q&A turned into a contest to find the biggest asshole.
Amen.
BzB

azguy

None
Didn't mean to piss in anyone's Wheaties... this thread at the level of standard shit talking that goes on in fleet Wardrooms.

No hard feelings...