• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hud'n

gyrene

Marine SNA
one for the older pilots on the forum:

what the heck does HUD'N mean? and how was it related to the F-8?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Pretty simple, actually. It kind of represented a call ... kind of like an F-8 rallying cry .... "gather round" or "Hey Rube" (old times) or "Hooorah" (today) ..... F-8 specific, however ..... it originated from a '60's "rev-up" sound from a muscle-car engine ..... Some of the F-8 squadrons painted it on the front of the wing "droop" that would show when they "drooped" the wing to come aboard. The F-8 was an engine with wings and a pilot. A rocket ......... :)

It's just kind of an F-8 tradition .... "HUD'N, HUD'N" .... that's what they painted on the forward part of the "droop". We loved it when I waved 'em .... F-8 drivers .... good sticks.

*edit* .... just remembered when I thought about this pix ... it was kind of a signature of VF-194 (did they originate it ????) but many F-8 outfits used it. Spirit. Love it. Do we have it today ??? ..... :)

..... "BHR" .... USS Bon Homme Richard. Great ship.

gyrene

Marine SNA
i've heard that in the break lead would call "hud'n," two would call "hud'n hud'n," three would call "hud'n hud'n hud'n" and so on...
is this true and is there any further story behind it?