• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN HT's a calamity

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I'm curious what the Navy does better than the Army?
Each trains pilots equally well. It's all about alignment to parochial service culture. Honestly after about 2 to 3 years you would not be able to tell the difference professionally between army and naval aviator as far as helos are concerned

Renegade One

None
Oh, I forgot to add...Army "pilot" movies suck!
Maybe not technically an "Army pilot movie", but did not suck either.
we-were-soldiers.jpg

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Needs to be glass. Negative training for SNA's to go from glass cockpit T-6 to a steam gauge helo trainer back to a glass cockpit fleet aircraft. Also needs to be GPS/WAAS compatible with the ability to do coupled (preferably 4-axis) LPV's.

Looking at a T-6 cockpit it's glass that replicates steam. Not a G-1000 type glass cockpit. So I'd tend to disagree with you.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Each trains pilots equally well. It's all about alignment to parochial service culture. Honestly after about 2 to 3 years you would not be able to tell the difference professionally between army and naval aviator as far as helos are concerned
Not really. Instrument training is emphasized a lot more in the Navy than in the Army. After flight school, the emphasis continues. I now have about an equal amount of time flying in both services. I have two to three times the actual instrument hours of the next closest guy in the battalion. He has 2000 more total flight hours than me. I got most of that in the Navy. Most guys in the Army will end their flying careers and never get 50 hours of actual instrument time.

The Navy has a higher attrition rate in flight school. It is also easier to get into Army flight school. If you cluster plot the quality of Army aviators arbitrarily on a scale of 50 to 100, they would be fairly evenly distributed. If you then took Navy helicopter pilots and plotted them on the same scale, they would cluster more toward the upper middle of the scale. The best Army pilots are every bit as good as the best Navy pilots. The worst Army pilots probably would not have made it through Navy flight school.

Yes, you can tell the difference.

The Army lands on boats, just not nearly as often. And we (collectively) don't do it as well. But we do things on an everyday basis that the Navy does rarely. HAATS is another thing the Army does well.

Flight school is not something the Army does particularly well.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Not really. Instrument training is emphasized a lot more in the Navy than in the Army. After flight school, the emphasis continues. I now have about an equal amount of time flying in both services. I have two to three times the actual instrument hours of the next closest guy in the battalion. He has 2000 more total flight hours than me. I got most of that in the Navy. Most guys in the Army will end their flying careers and never get 50 hours of actual instrument time.

The Navy has a higher attrition rate in flight school. It is also easier to get into Army flight school. If you cluster plot the quality of Army aviators arbitrarily on a scale of 50 to 100, they would be fairly evenly distributed. If you then took Navy helicopter pilots and plotted them on the same scale, they would cluster more toward the upper middle of the scale. The best Army pilots are every bit as good as the best Navy pilots. The worst Army pilots probably would not have made it through Navy flight school.

Yes, you can tell the difference.

The Army lands on boats, just not nearly as often. And we (collectively) don't do it as well. But we do things on an everyday basis that the Navy does rarely. HAATS is another thing the Army does well.

Flight school is not something the Army does particularly well.
Well reasoned - I learned something!