• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HT differences

Status
Not open for further replies.

wobble

I'm heading to HT land soon and I was wondering if there any major differences between the two squadrons. Is one more laid back than the other or are they pretty much the same?
I'm coming from Corpus where there was a big difference in the attitudes of VT-27 & VT-28.

Thanks

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
No major differences I can see - however, students may have a different opinion.

Kim

I agree, there didn't seem to be a big difference and we didn't get to pick anyway. Good luck.

wobble

Kim, how far along are you? I class up the 19th of March. Got any good tips?

Gig'em and have a Great Day

Dave Shutter

I've met a lot of OCS pals who've come back to WF from CC for HT and they tell me the difference is drastic. CC is apparently MUCH MORE laid back than WF and they claim to notice it right away. One guy stood watch and raised colors as per the SOP and was later locked up in front of an O-4's desk for quite some time getting a new one. Summary: the SOP is wrong but he should have known better and taken the initiative to find that out. Such blatant lack of common sense is poor for an Officer, he's lucky he finished Primary and will be luckier still to get to the fleet. Pink sheet for failure to follow instructions. Other CC people tell me that WF is a little pink-sheet happy. Just what I've heard.

moestud

I checked into HT-8 a few weeks ago. There are a few differences between HT-8 and HT-18. But I don't think they are drastic differences. With 8, you stand watch for 2 weeks (then don't stand watch for the rest of advanced unless you screw something up. At the 3rd week you start CPTs. HT-18 stands 1 week of watch, then the next week you start CPTs. But in the meantime (both squadrons) you have to do the computer coursework for systems and aero, take the reviews then take the tests, all on your own time. So 8 gives you a little more time to get this done. But 18 will get you done w/ advanced a few weeks earlier. So each squadron has its perks.
I do agree w/ WF being pink sheet happy. Advanced is a lot more self-paced, no one is around to babysit you or tell you that you need to get stuff done. IF you fail a test or a sim you get a pink sheet.

Kim

I just got my wings last week, I'm headed to Norfolk to fly MH-53's soon. I agree that HT's are a bit pink sheet happy, but a lot of people finish with one or two, just try not to get one for something stupid. I made it through without any, so it is possible. Make sure you get the gouge for the first few tests, there are some questions that I probably won't have got without it, although you need to study too because the gouge isn't perfect. Learn both systems and aero really well because you will need it throughout most of the program. I went to VT-27 and HT-8 didn't seem as bad, at least about even. Just study hard, do your best and make sure you get all the computer stuff and lectures done at the appropriate time. Good luck.

wobble

Thanks for the Heads Up. Good luck to everybody and continue Flying Safely.

Gig'em and have a Great Day

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
I went through VT-27 in corpus and I would have to agree with what has been said so for. I would also say that between primary and advanced there is a difference in philosophy about teaching students. In primary it seemed like instructors wanted to see if you had what it took to fly. In advanced it seems like they are just there to teach you to fly. However I will also say that you are expected to know more and come completely prepared for your briefs no matter what squadron you are in. They will work with you if you are having trouble flying, but if you don’t put in the effort to know your stuff, they are not going to put in the effort to help you

NOSWO

Naval Aviator, MH-60S Knighthawk
What is the "old system" of grading? All I am aware of is the 5 point scale thing that we used at Primary/Intermediate....Thanks

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
On the "old system," each graded items gets either an UNSAT (down), Below Average, Average, or Above Average. In practice, the grading is done for the whole flight, i.e. a typical flight gets all averages, a pretty good flight gets one above average, a somewhat crappy flight gets one below average, and an absolutely flawless flight might rate 2 aboves. A down equals two belows on the overall grades, but you can get 2 below w/out a down--the "velvet hammer." All the negative grade impact, but none of the extra training--given if you can't fly and made no effort to learn.

Yes, transitioning will be very hard, especially for the first groupl to go on the new system, since theres no bell curve to base everything off of yet.

Phrogs phorever

el_riddle

60 bubba
yeah, i'm most likely going to be in this transition group and i'm not looking forward to it. it seems as though you should finish in the grade system that you began in. but no one asks me. anyway...back to the studying; firehose and all you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.