• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HT Advice/Gouge Thread

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I went down to KDAB once VFR on top and got cleared for the RNAV when I asked for the ASR. /P the whole time. I swear they just assume you're RNAV capable.

Fun fact: DAB still has an ASR listed as an available approach, but you'll never get it. DAB has said they're not manned to support it, since it takes a dedicated controller. "People" have said they've engaged the FAA to remove the listing, but I'm not convinced anyone has actually done that.

sickboy

pilot
Fun fact: DAB still has an ASR listed as an available approach, but you'll never get it. DAB has said they're not manned to support it, since it takes a dedicated controller. "People" have said they've engaged the FAA to remove the listing, but I'm not convinced anyone has actually done that.

It’s been a while, but I don’t think it’s listed anymore. I started calling FSS and asking about it because it wasn’t ever notamed

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Finally. I just looked on Airnav (Foreflight is in the other room and I'm too lazy) and don't see it listed. I heard someone talking about it a couple of weeks ago and gave them a heads up that it didn't exist, but it's possible their experience was a ways back.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I am wondering how the 650 works with gloved hands in the TH-57C - or is it fine for students to discard gloves now. The interface is primarily touch screen, although a knob exists.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I am wondering how the 650 works with gloved hands in the TH-57C - or is it fine for students to discard gloves now. The interface is primarily touch screen, although a knob exists.

Wiley-X gloves are becoming much more common now, although I'd argue a poor comparison to my Outdoor Research gloves that sadly aren't made any more.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
It’s only a rule if you’re a pussy. I file 1000 nm directs in the Merc routinely and atc lets me do what I want
Yeah, I'm sure it has to do with being a pussy, and not like... the fact that a single controller on one side of the country couldn't possibly work a clearance through 3 centers' airspaces. It's not about them "letting" you do it. It's about the fact that they can't unless the workload is so light and they are bored enough to make some calls to coordinate and make it happen. But sure... make a controller do the work for you because you're too lazy to do the work and figure out a route yourself.

I'm sure if you just file what you want with eurocontrol, they'll let you do what you want, too... or maybe you'll end up back in flight planning when you don't have a clearance, on the verge of putting your first through the computer screen because you can't get a fucking route CFMU validated with appropriate dips...:rolleyes:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm sure if you just file what you want with eurocontrol, they'll let you do what you want, too... or maybe you'll end up back in flight planning when you don't have a clearance, on the verge of putting your first through the computer screen because you can't get a fucking route CFMU validated with appropriate dips...

Or you could check-in with Center and call "...last clearance, direct SMH." And life goes on.

But none of that is relevant since you stated it was a US ARTCC issue/FAR and not having anything to do with ICAO. But we do enjoy your experience stories.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Or you could check-in with Center and call "...last clearance, direct SMH." And life goes on.

But none of that is relevant since you stated it was a US ARTCC issue/FAR and not having anything to do with ICAO. But we do enjoy your experience stories.

Huh? Not sure I understood your point, as you'd never get off the ground to check in with anyone until eurocontrol deigns to validate your clearance, but anyway.

No, my point is there is guidance and regs on what to do and how to do it, regardless of if it's in the US (in the previous example, yes, but there are others in different contexts... some less forgiving). Sure, you can probably skirt some of those, but it's only going to make things more difficult and delayed. Like I said, You CAN call up clearance and ask them to put in a local IFR for you on a student cross-country, or you can just file a local on foreflight with the dep and dest as the same field with the route of flight a single point IAF and hit submit. That way, you'll be taxiing out of the chocks while the guy who made clearance do the work for him is still waiting.

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
Huh? Not sure I understood your point, as you'd never get off the ground to check in with anyone until eurocontrol deigns to validate your clearance, but anyway.

No, my point is there is guidance and regs on what to do and how to do it, regardless of if it's in the US (in the previous example, yes, but there are others in different contexts... some less forgiving). Sure, you can probably skirt some of those, but it's only going to make things more difficult and delayed. Like I said, You CAN call up clearance and ask them to put in a local IFR for you on a student cross-country, or you can just file a local on foreflight with the dep and dest as the same field with the route of flight a single point IAF and hit submit. That way, you'll be taxiing out of the chocks while the guy who made clearance do the work for him is still waiting.

I have more big wing experience than you. Stick to vertrep bro

NicNakPaddywhak

pilot
I'd say the overwhelming majority of students these days are rocking the Wiley-X or Outdoor Research gloves.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I'd say the overwhelming majority of students these days are rocking the Wiley-X or Outdoor Research gloves.

If y'all don't mind the basic question - where do these gloves come from? Are individuals self procuring gear like this (on their own dime) - or does the PR shop have discretion to order on your behalf - is there an approval process?

NicNakPaddywhak

pilot
If y'all don't mind the basic question - where do these gloves come from? Are individuals self procuring gear like this (on their own dime) - or does the PR shop have discretion to order on your behalf - is there an approval process?

Everyone that I know has self procured their gloves... I don't know of a procurement process, it was kind of showed to us like "hey these are approved to wear if you have them."

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
I showed up to the HT's waaaay after the decision to procure it was made, but I doubt when buying in bulk like the HT's do, the Navy paid full price for it. Also, teaching a student "uh yeah, you can do LPV mins now) isn't particularly difficult. Ensuring they understand we have vertical guidance vice glideslope and getting them to understand the difference (thus making it a NPA) is maybe the most difficult part I've encountered thus far.

Everything that I have read basically states anything with ground based guidance (ILS, GLS, PAR, etc) can be considered a "precision" approach. LPV's and LNAV/VNAV's are "approaches with vertical guidance" - but if the minimums are 300' ft or lower can be counted the same as a precision approach as that was the intent anyway.

The Garmin 400 and 500 series systems that I am familiar with when enabled with WAAS offer 6 different ways of shooting satellite approaches. LPV, LP, LNAV/VNAV, and LNAV. The other 2 ways are LP+V and LNAV+V, the "+V" being a computer calculated "advisory" glideslope.

The Garmin G1000 with synthetic vision is becoming more popular in the civilian helicopter world. These have been up and flying for a few years - lot of good equipment out there now.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/6420

ad-01.jpg