• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HT-18 Insignia Signifigance?

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
CG, Navy, Marine.

Navy = Blue
Marine = Red
CG = Green?

or...
Marine = Green
CG = Blue
Navy = Red?

or...
Navy = Blue
Marine = Green
CG = Red?

Still weird. I'm just amazed these things don't have an "official" symbology statement somewhere... I know all the squadrons up at "the bad AF place" had posted statements on the history behind each patch. It's just interesting to know why I'm wearing these symbols... Since we have symbology for each fold of the flag, and each button of the uniform... I would have thought the Navy would be more "tradition" and "symbology" oriented then the flegling AF. But maybe they are just getting into chicken-sh!t detail and I shouldn't care as much.

BurghGuy

Master your ego, and you own your destiny.
if someone could just explain the factoryhand thing i'd be happy.

One of the old sim guys explained it to me one day. Apparently there was a big factory around here (I don't recall exactly, but I think it made pillows or something??) But thats where FactoryHand came from. He also said something about HT-8 being called the PillowCases or something to that affect, but then the factory closed, and -8 didn't want to sound so bad on the radios. They put it to a vote and EightBall was the new name. Coincidentally the 2nd place name was BladeRunner, also the callsign of the HITU.

Like I said, I got this from a sim guy durring CPTs, and I don't recall what the factory made (it could have been matresses for all I know). Thus I don't endorse this as the "facts". But it is an interesting story, and no one has been able to prove it false. Yet.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
or...
Navy = Blue
Marine = Green
CG = Red?

That last one. Most commands have an explaination of their crest/emblem, it's just a matter of finding it, and even then it sometimes doesn't make sense (USS CROMMELIN case in point...."Rampant Sea Lions??????"). I'd guess there's something somewhere floating around the squadron LAN about what all the patches mean, but people are probably too busy to find it.

Circle K

pilot
Interesting... I could see the coasties and "international orange" or whatever that color is, but not red.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
Symbology for each fold of the flag?

Are you referring to this bit of urban folklore?

http://www.snopes.com/military/flagfold.htm

I suppose I am. But, I've heard that "meaning statement" read at countless funerals, at a few September 11th ceremonies, at my commissioning, and seen it on quite a few website... including the American Legion, Pennsylvania Independace Hall Association, and even the National Guard.

So, I know you dont always trust everything you read on the internet... but I suppose we also must apply that rule to Snopes.com and seeing as it's on quite a few "official" government approved webpages... including the above linked National Guard site... and I've heard it at military ceremonies... well, I thought it was at least a good ceremony.

And even if it isn't "official"... if enough people use the symbology... and that is what they see in the folds of the flag... eventually it kind of evolves into how the majority reads the symbology.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
And even if it isn't "official"... if enough people use the symbology... and that is what they see in the folds of the flag... eventually it kind of evolves into how the majority reads the symbology.
Isn't that what snopes said...?

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
I suppose I am. But, I've heard that "meaning statement" read at countless funerals, at a few September 11th ceremonies, at my commissioning, and seen it on quite a few website... including the American Legion, Pennsylvania Independace Hall Association, and even the National Guard
I can pretty much guarantee that that last link's content is unconstitutional, not to mention inaccurate. Contrast the numerology of the "history" of the 21 gun salute on the KNG page with this Army link.