• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HS squadrons

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm a HSL (SH-60B) guy. HH-60H is obviously a HS guy. The H-60H is a essentially a stripped down Foxtrot with two doors (I think) and electronics for shooting missiles. Basically Blackhawk utility in the form of a Seahawk. I'm sure HH-60H can tell us more.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Yes, I am an HS guy. Like gatordev said the HH-60H is pretty much a stripped down F. It only has one door though. The other notable differences are it lacks ASW mission equipment, an internal AUX tank, but is equipped with a variety of aircraft survivability equipment and is wired for the FLIR/Hellfire system. Structurally, it is closer to the F (tail landing gear position, vibe absorbers, and main landing gear structure), but then again they are both Seahawks. However, the first 50 or so 60Ss are structurally closer to a Blackhawk.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Copy, one door. But you have two windows though, right? So you can shoot out of both sides up front? I think you're windows are where our interconnecting boxes are.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Reread the post. HS has two (2) different aircraft. The SH-60F and the HH-60H. The Foxtrot has the ASW suite.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
O i see the F does the sub hunting the H does other stuff

Basically yes.

gatordev- the H has 2 sliding windows on the left side where we can mount a 7.62 weapon. The F we pop out the window on the left side, so the crewman on the left can clear our landings.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Okay, I got you. I've seen pics of SEALs peeking out the left window in the H w/ their M4/SR25, so I assumed there was one on the right as well. Guess I was just seeing the door (usually w/ a GAU of some kind hanging out). All I know is that if joining up w/ a H, you guys can do that figure 8 gun pattern that makes my head hurt, and we can't.

packerfan69

Theres plenty to do in the hs squadrons. They Fly SAR missions like they said before. They transport seals, hunt subs, do replenishment missions/logistics. And train for that one day when they gotta blow one of those North Korean of Iranian Subs out of the water and into a grave!!!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Theres plenty to do in the hs squadrons. They Fly SAR missions like they said before. They transport seals, hunt subs, do replenishment missions/logistics. And train for that one day when they gotta blow one of those North Korean of Iranian Subs out of the water and into a grave!!!

If that day comes, I pray we've got something a little more capable than a -60 in between us and them.

Brett

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
On the CSAR side, under USMC guidelines in the past, Navy SAR was delegated to over water or overland-permissive rescues. If you don't have SEALS on board, how would you tackle a contested recovery, since you don't have a platoon of Marines/USAF PJs/have a butt-ton of guns sticking out, etc?

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
In HS you get LOTS of Plane Guard. At the same time, you are the helo asset for the Carrier so you get lots of Log runs, flying the Chaplain (Holy Helo) as well as all the missions addressed above. As we like to say "Jack of all Trades; Master of None".