• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HS-8 Deployment.

Bevo16

pilot
Hello fellow helo bubbas. I was reading some of the discussion in the other forums about what is going on with overland missions and what it would take to get Navy helos out of the CSG and into the overland world. I’ll take this opportunity to brag on my squadron a little (ok, a lot).

Well, if you have not read this month's copy of Naval Aviation then you still don't know about the best deployment in the last 20 years for any navy helicopter squadron. We were blessed on this deployment to have a CO/XO who were determined to expand the role of the Navy Helo, and a CAG who was willing to let us operate to the extent of our abilities.

Most squadrons that have been to the Gulf for the past 15 years have had not much more to look forward to other than racking up hours in plane guard and chasing the occasional EMATT around the CVOA. Prior to our arrival in the Gulf, we dispached our XO and a senior LT to Kuwait to scout out Camp Arifjan where the Army has a Blackhawk facility. We received the blessing from our CAG to operate a shore based detachment, and the squadron was off and running.

We split the squadron into Blue/Gold teams, and spent the 4+ months in the gulf on 2 week rotations with 7 pilots on the beach at a time. Our HH-60H's flew almost daily combat operations in Southern Iraq. Missions included NSW Support, Convoy Support, and we pretty much wrote the book on Helicopter Armed Intelligence Surveillance and Reconnaissance. We provided vital presence for Commander Task Force 58 and their missions of providing Maritime Security for the Arabian Gulf. All that is some fancy speak for a lot of kick-ass flying. We flew all over southern Iraq, saw a lot of Basrah, and went nearly 2/3 of the was to Baghdad while we were “keeping an eye on things”. HS-8 flew over 320 combat missions and 650+ hours over Iraq.

It is an exciting time to be in the Navy Helo community. It’s even better to be an HS guy.

BTW, the HCS squadrons are full time NSW assets flying daily out of Baghdad. They are kicking some serious ass. It takes time to get there though, all of their pilots are TARs.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
HS-7 was doing this a lot as well, and spent most of their deployment w/ a beach det. It's good to know somebody gets to play, even if it isn't us. ;)

Quick question for you, and I'm not trying to troll here. 650 hours seems a bit low for an entire squadron. I'm guessing that's just in theatre, but is that average? On the HSL side of the house, flying 600-700 hours w/ just two aircraft isn't out of the ordinary, even after all the NAVRIP crap. Just curious.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Settle down there nugget. HS-8 isn't the end all and be all of HS squadrons.
Do you think you are the first guys to go to that Blackhawk facility? Maybe it was the first time you had heard of it, being your first cruise and all.
Do you think you are the first HS shore det? Even excluding the semi-permanent HS-1 det in the mid 90's (I think that's when it was) I can easily count 5 or more who have done similar ops in my limited experience. And I can guarantee you did not "wrte the book on Helicopter Armed Intelligence Surveillance and Reconnaissance." What do you think the Army and Marine Corps have been doing for the last 40 years?
I appreciate the enthusiasm your have for your squadron and our community, and I am sure as the PAO you wrote the magazine article, but save the press releases for the general public, and please tone down the HS company line (i.e. "expand the role of the Navy helo") and hyperbole.

Bevo16

pilot
The 650 hours was just the beach det. Pilots on the boat were getting 50+ hours a month. 70 hours in a month was not uncommon.

I am quite aware that HS-8 did not discover Patton field at Arifjan. We took over from HS-7, who had taken over from HS-15. We did significantly expand the role while we were in theater.

HH-60H, I don't know why you have such a bitter tone. I put the post up so that some of the guys in Advanced can see what kind of things are going on in my community. I am sure they can judge for themselves what is hyperbole and what isn't. If you have anything else negative to post, please do it via PM.

phrogpilot73

My only question is, are you one of the guys that tried to fly into me in TQ 'cause you didn't know the proper procedures for the TAC Card? Just curious...

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
WTF is going on? This is the kind of thread that belongs on this site. Not only is it nice to hear people's experiences, but this type of info is great for guys still in the HT's who may not be sure about what community they want to chose.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
bch said:
WTF is going on? This is the kind of thread that belongs on this site. Not only is it nice to hear people's experiences, but this type of info is great for guys still in the HT's who may not be sure about what community they want to chose.
Concur. Thought it was a good post too. You aviators are starting to act like a bunch of girls around each other.

Bevo16

pilot
phrog73

I don't think that we saw any Marine 46's out there at all (not that you were not there, just not on our routes). We did see a ton of Brits though.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Bevo said:
I am sure they can judge for themselves what is hyperbole and what isn't. If you have anything else negative to post, please do it via PM.

I will decide what and when to post, thank you.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
bch said:

No, no you guys are right. I failed to notice that this was in the Advanced (Helo) forum. But at the same time, I don't think it paints the whole picture of the community.

Bevo said:
I am sure they can judge for themselves what is hyperbole and what isn't.

I am sure that students in Advanced cannot tell the difference between what is hyperbole and what is not.

You did NOT have the "the best deployment in the last 20 years for any navy helicopter squadron" Plenty of us have done "better" things

You did NOT "wrte the book on Helicopter Armed Intelligence Surveillance and Reconnaissance" If you think HS invented any overland mission you have delusions of grandeur

It's those kind of blanket statements and extreme overexaggerations that students in advanced cannot discern from reality.

We are the jack of all trades and masters of none. If you don't think so, then why are our squadrons called Helicopter Antisubmarine, but oh we also do CSAR?
When it comes to overland missions we are bit players.

Now, I think we have the most fun because we get to train for all those missions, and have opportunities to do a few really cool things every deployment.

Be realistic, we (AW) are not the general public, and the Advanced students need the whole real picture if they are going to make informed decisions, not the press release.

phrogpilot73

HH-60H said:
I am sure that students in Advanced cannot tell the difference between what is hyperbole and what is not.

You did NOT "wrte the book on Helicopter Armed Intelligence Surveillance and Reconnaissance" If you think HS invented any overland mission you have delusions of grandeur

It's those kind of blanket statements and extreme overexaggerations that students in advanced cannot discern from reality.

Be realistic, we (AW) are not the general public, and the Advanced students need the whole real picture if they are going to make informed decisions, not the press release.

I have to concur with HH-60H on this one. First, there's alot of crap floating around for HT students to digest. Everyone flies the coolest platform, has the best mission, etc... Who is really going to say "I hate what I fly" - No one.

Second, wrote the book on Helicopter Armed Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance? Doubt it. Talk to some of your fellow Marine Aviators about the six functions of Marine Aviation. Every Marine platform (irrespective of fixed wing/rotary wing) is an aerial reconnaissance platform. Not to mention I'm sure the skid guys, who have been doing what you describe for YEARS, would probably be interested to learn that you wrote the book. I guess they should have read it.

As for making informed decisions, if you are in the HTs and reading this, don't get me wrong - he should be proud of what he accomplished during his deployment. However, I would doubt that anything he has done was groundbreaking, or history making. Those kind of things just don't happen nowadays. Do I think that helos are definately becoming more important in the Navy? You're damn right, and it's about time. Do I think that Navy helos "write the book" of something that I've been doing for 4 years? Doubt it. History making is flying 465 nautical miles across Turkey without refueling. In a PHROG.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That makes sense, re: the beach det/hours thing. Thanks for the info.

I agree this is a good topic and thread starter (even if it was slightly hyperbole-ic). Please don't construe my first post as stoking the flames here. And Steve, I'm all about girl on girl action!

EDIT...damn, you're all too fast for me and wrote replies to your replies already!

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
Come on let the guy alone can't you see he's striking for PAO.
As long as we are on the subject what about HS-1's Desert Duck in the 80's? I know people who still haven't got all of the sand out of their shorts. :icon_mi_1