• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HR monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Anybody training with a HR monitor? I was thinking about getting one but wasn't sure how well they work and how easy they are to use? If so, which one? I have heard polar are good but you can't see your time and the HR which is kind of a pain....

T-man

What purpose would it serve? Unless you have or are worried about getting a heart condition, honestly I wouldn't worry about it. Your body is usually pretty good about telling when to slow down if you need to.

my $.02

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Polar has good ones. I use it to train at the right level on a stairmaster. you would be surprised how easy it is to cross the aerobic exercise line and go anaerobic. Used it on the ship a lot, too. Most newer treadmills are compatible with Polar HR monitors. Expect to pay $60 or so for a good one.

r/
G

E6286

OCC 191 Select
T-Man, they are supposedly really good to pushing you further than you could get without thinking about it. They put you in the best zone to improve your performance. Many people swear by them. I was just trying to get a feel for the opinions of them on the board.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
I use mine mostly for my easier workouts. It has made a huge difference in my ability to run fast when I want to by making sure I take it easy on the easy days. I like polar- they have several different models, mine does show HR and time together (and its one of the cheaper models).

E6286

OCC 191 Select
What model do you have? I would love the S 625 x but 275 bucks is pricey. Thing sure does some amazing things though.

bubba716

I have one that i use for when i'm training for cycling, haven't used it much running though. They are a pretty sweet little toy to have though. Especially if you concerned your really not working out as hard as you should be. Once you get used to controlling your heart rate you would be amazed how less tired you'll be during and after long rides. I guess long runs would be similar.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Yeah, I want to use one to maximize my running. First, so I can smash the PFT, and second, so I can get in marathon shape for OCS so that the running there will be a cinch. I really like the crazy polar 625X but 255-300 bucks is a lot of cash.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Schnuggapup said:
Polar has good ones. ......G

PR-A1.jpg

2nd the vote for Polar --- maybe the Polar A1 or F1 models, to be specific. My wife is a trainer/jock and she uses/likes that model --- wrist receiver and a transmitter that straps around your diaphragm/heart area. Pretty comfortable ..... @ 45-60 bucks ... check online.

Variants of the Polar are used to train horses, so it ought to work for you .... :)

polar_1.jpg

NavyOCS

T-man said:
What purpose would it serve? Unless you have or are worried about getting a heart condition, honestly I wouldn't worry about it. Your body is usually pretty good about telling when to slow down if you need to.

my $.02

I have a Timex Bodylink System. The HR moniter works great and the watch is cool. Not all bulky like some. Theoretically if you train in a particular zone, say 150-160bpm, then as you get into better shape you can realize faster miles per minute at that same HR. Which means your body is more efficient and you can progress to the next stage. Good training aid if you know how to use it. Otherwise its still a fun toy.

Status
Not open for further replies.