• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HR DCO Applicant

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
My packet is submitted also... Snapshot of qualifications:

The Good:

18 years of management experience, including 5 years leading department of 200+ employees in current role
PHR Certification
Six Sigma Black Belt
MBA w/ 3.95 GPA

The Bad:

No prior military experience

Good luck to all, HR is incredibly difficult to get selected for even among highly qualified candidates (5-8% selection rate).

I believe I have a competitive packet and have confidence in my abilities, but given the nature of this board I have absolutely no expectations of being picked.

I'm not sold on your civilian experience. "Management" is such a vague term, what exactly are you doing with that management?

I would check out the HR Reserve Brochure linked below. It's old, but on the second page lists the four core competencies of Navy HR. Does your current job involve all four of those. Not only do you need to demonstrate that, but you also need to demonstrate leadership skills that will set you up for success as a new HR Reserve Ensign.

https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-...Documents/ProspectiveHRs/HRBrochure-Sep11.pdf

FormerRecruitingGuru

This is my first time running up for this and its been a long process and now counting the days until results are released. If I don't get in this round I plan on getting more experience with leadership and more certifications.

6+ Years in Federal HR as a Management Analyst (Risk Management, Evaluations, Audits, Staffing and Classification,Management Consulting,)
BS Business Admin May 2011 GPA 3.23
MBA May 2016 GPA 3.30
PHR Certified Oct 2017
2 Interviews with reserve HR Commanders both 10/10

Detractors -
No military experience (besides JROTC back in the day)
limited leadership experience

I would give Reserve Supply Corps a shot if HR doesn't work out.

I'm not sold on your civilian experience. "Management" is such a vague term, what exactly are you doing with that management?

I would check out the HR Reserve Brochure linked below. It's old, but on the second page lists the four core competencies of Navy HR. Does your current job involve all four of those. Not only do you need to demonstrate that, but you also need to demonstrate leadership skills that will set you up for success as a new HR Reserve Ensign.

https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-...Documents/ProspectiveHRs/HRBrochure-Sep11.pdf

Thanks... I’m familiar with that handout. My current job responsibilities line up well with the four core competencies. I conveyed this in my interviews and my motivational statement.

Mdelostr

I would give Reserve Supply Corps a shot if HR doesn't work out.

Thank you RUFiO181 for the suggestion. I was thinking about it originally but felt I could make a superior case for HR. I will speak to my recruiter to see what could strengthen the case should I need to for supply.

For my next list of certifications I would like to obtain my PMP, Lean Six Sigma in my civilian career. I would also like to get another degree/certificate in cyber security. In the current climate with data breaches and hacking, I figure an HR professional with knowledge of preventive measures towards breaches can only better protect data and employees PII showing another added value for the navy reserves.

Is there any other suggestions you might have to help strengthen my case If I don't get selected this round? Any more feedback would be awesome and appreciated.

grose3

pilot
For those considering applying for HR DCO in future years, a good reference is Program Authorization 230. It is posted on the HR detailer website. That is the criteria all packages are judged against.

The HR DCO board was scheduled to meet yesterday. There are handful (my uneducated guess is 3) of applicants that were fortunate enough to be selected. Good luck to everybody who applied!

time to put in more work on the next one! or half someone on these forms rate the package again

I have a packet in with Intel. I'm a much stronger candidate in that community and while it is still incredibly competitive, Their selection rate is generally higher than HR. That will be my last crack at this, I age out soon.

Remind me in my next life to start this process about 20 years earlier....

Good luck!

exNavyOffRec

I am not on there either... It looks like they actually selected someone without a certification also. All that talk about how it was required!

true, but average HR experience was 10 years, if she doesn't get the certification she won't get far so the board is taking a chance.

all of them also had military experience and I believe most had military experience last time as well.

FormerRecruitingGuru

I am not on there either... It looks like they actually selected someone without a certification also. All that talk about how it was required!

No one ever said it was "required", but "highly recommended" to have. The last board had 100% HR cert, and while this board didn't feature the same the person mentioned had "substantial" HR community experience.