• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How to stay determined and committed to staying in a military school?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amos

I plan on going to a military college (VMI) next year, but all my friends keep telling me it is going to suck, and i will not have a true college experience. I personally want to go, my parents want me to go to william & mary or UVA. I want to go to VMI because i want to be a part of the legacy. I've even gone to the open house program, and i absolutely loved it. Can anybody give me words of wisdom or advice to keep me motivated on going?

MasterBates

If you need convincing from us, random dudes on the internet, you sound like you are not convinced yourself.

Amos

If you need convincing from us, random dudes on the internet, you sound like you are not convinced yourself.
been reading on here for a bit; i want to do nrotc. But i can see why someone would get discouraged, getting awakened before the sunrises everyday, etc.

navy09

None
From what I've heard, there's a big difference between VMI and where I go to school. Both ROTC, very different ways of doing business. If you don't like waking up early, you're definitely looking at the wrong career.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Your friends you make there are the only thing that keep you in it. No one wants to quit and look like a pussy to his buds. And if you go to UVA, that's precisely what you'll turn out as.

I'm kidding, hoos are people, too.

john1513

AK or bust.
pilot
From what I hear, waking up early will be the LEAST of your worries at VMI.

I went to Texas A&M and can tell you that the corps lifestyle sucks for the first year, but you make friendships that will last a lifetime. More importantly, you'll learn a lot about yourself and how you function under pressure. You'll have the opportunity to hone leadership skills in a "sandbox" before getting commissioned, which (in my opinion) helps a great deal. Needless to say, your experience will really depend a lot on attitude.

Don't let friends or parents sway your choice too much - they aren't the ones that will have to deal with the pain and pride of going to VMI. I'm sure VMI grads could be a little more specific - just my .02

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
If you're just doing it because you want to play military, then just join up after college. If you truely want to go to VMI or some other service school then go for it. Thats like going online and asking other people what your favorite color is. Nobody knows anything about you and what you want. Its up to you.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In hindsight, there's part of me that wishes I'd passed on USNA in favor of a "real college experience". That's actually what my folks told me, too - and dad's a retired Marine Major and helo guy and a USAFA grad, and mom's a retired Navy Captain, so it's not like it was an anti-military thing.

The old bit about how USNA's a shitty place to be, but a great place to be from is true and also applies to places like VMI. I hated a lot of my time there, but what I got out of it, everything from dropping 25 lbs to developing a thick armored coat of cynicism, has really been worth it.

As far as staying comitted, you have to want to be there. That's the only thing that'll keep you from dropping out.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I plan on going to a military college (VMI) next year, but all my friends keep telling me it is going to suck, and i will not have a true college experience. I personally want to go, my parents want me to go to william & mary or UVA. I want to go to VMI because i want to be a part of the legacy. I've even gone to the open house program, and i absolutely loved it. Can anybody give me words of wisdom or advice to keep me motivated on going?

That's part of the rites of passage. There are several VMI and Citadel alumni and undergrads on AW as well as Aggies. DSL is in her first year at VMI so watch for her to respond. Naval Academy and those schools have a rigorous first year experience to weed out those who don't have the stamina and motivation to perform under constant stress and harassment. I agree with prior posters that the bonds you forge with fellow "victims" last the rest of your life. I went through PLC with a platoon of 80% Aggies and later roomed with a Citadel grad at TBS (our company was 80% VMI and Citadel grads) so I got to see their close-knit friendships and still see it in all the people I've met since then. Contrast that with not knowing or really caring about the folks I went to school with at Maryland (as a day commuter).

Just like flight school, you just have to really want it and you'll endure the "suck".

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
T There are several VMI and Citadel alumni and undergrads on AW as well as Aggies.

I resemble this remark. :D

VMI is one of those things that you have to want to stay there. It's rough, but I can honestly say that as of right now, I have some of the best friends I've ever had. The Mother I has a way of beating you into the ground at times, but as long as you stay focused on what's important (Brother Rats, commission, degree, etc.) you can get through it. As others have said, don't let other people tell you how to live your life; if VMI is what you want, then do it and don't look back. I'm currently a Second Classman, and if you should have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Rah Virginia Mil! :)

exhelodrvr

pilot

You will almost certainly make closer friends there then you would at a "regular" college; you will learn much more from the military perspective. You will also miss out on some opportunities (not just the partying aspects), and you may not be able to major in what you would like. There are definitely pros and cons to both.
(I say that as a USNA grad, who doesn't regret for a second having gone there, but also as someone who has observed three children going through college, including one in ROTC.)

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
...but all my friends keep telling me it is going to suck, and i will not have a true college experience.

The "true" college experience of which they are speaking is overrated and only shows their immaturity and lack of insight into the "big picture."

...my parents want me to go to William & Mary or UVA

Are your parents going to live your life for you too? Honestly, are they anti-military?

I personally want to go...

You have your answer. Make your decision and never look back.

Sinatra

ALOHA LAMPS
No matter where you decide to go to school, you will be an ENS or 2ndLt when you commission.

First figure out what kind of college experience you want to have and then decide on the school that matches you.

If you're worried about motivation about military service and think that going to a service academy will ensure you don't lose sight of the end goal, then it is going to be rough time.

Set goals and keep them. When sh*t gets rough, remind yourself of the end goal.

Regardless of the branch of service you choose to volunteer for, remember that it was your choice and you made it because it is where you want to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.