• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How to Ship My Guns

Cavt

Living the dream
pilot
You could check them in your baggage but they have to be locked in a box of some sort...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
There's lots of bad information and misconceptions being put out re: transporting firearms by checked baggage with your "friendly skies" airline .... but it's not your fault as the Feds keep changing the requirements and most airline agents are fuzzy on the latest proper procedures. As always, check with the specific airline for procedures and requirements.

A starting place for airline gouge:
FLYING WITH GUNS - COMMERCIAL AIRLINES see - airline links (bottom)

Generally speaking: unloaded firearms may be transported in checked baggage if declared to the agent at check in and packed in a "suitable container" -- usually cases designed for firearms or the original box. Handguns must be in a locked container and can be carried in your regular checked luggage. Boxed small arms ammunition for personal use may be transported in checked luggage. Amounts may vary depending on the airline.

The rules & regulations "should" all be the same from airline to airline ... but you can ask 10 different agents the same question ... and get 10 different answers. PRINT OUT the instructions from the particular airline's website and take it with you when you check your baggage containing firearms. If there is a conflict or difference of opinion -- maintain your cool, be polite, and ask for the supervisor on duty. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES ... allow the agent to tag your bag with a "firearms" sticker -- they still have them in some locations.

BIG PROBLEM now ... Due to TSA regulations, gun cases must be properly locked but "available for further inspection". TSA approved locks (Searchalert) come with a tool that enables TSA screeners to open the lock without damaging it.
.... but the downside: you may need to standby to say-goodby to your firearms and look for them to be carried away stuffed into the waistband of your nearest TSA screener or airline baggage smasher .... :)

pat

Yeah, what he said!

The last time I flew with a handgun, they insisted that the gun was locked, but that the case was not. Fortunately it was a Rohm .38, so anyone who stole it would be getting the short end of the deal. It made it just fine, but I am now a skeptic. Long guns go via registered mail post office, if I can't drive them. (Because if they get lost in regsitered, and someone goes postal, there is a signature after yours in the paperwork.)

magnetfreezer

Even if they are hand guns you can do this. I have my CHL and carry generally everywhere its legal. I carry a hand gun on most every flight I take. just call ahead of time and let them know.

I hope you mean carry the guns in your checked baggage, or know of some giant loophole that permits CCW holders to carry on commercial flights in which case I'm sure a lot of people would like to know it.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
I hope you mean carry the guns in your checked baggage, or know of some giant loophole that permits CCW holders to carry on commercial flights in which case I'm sure a lot of people would like to know it.
CCW does not allow you to carry (as in ready to go) your gun into the airport, much less an airliner.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
CCW does not allow you to carry (as in ready to go) your gun into the airport, much less an airliner.

Depends on the state. No one can have a gun past the federal TSA security zone, however in Texas the airport is municipal property and no municipality is allowed to restrict CCW carriers on public land (except court houses, polling places on the day of an election, etc.)

So you can carry into the air port, just not past the TSA guards.