• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How to Ship My Guns

MSkinsATC

pilot
Hey all, when I joined the Navy I left my guns at home and now my Dad is sick of them, anyone know how I can ship them from California to Texas??

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
Have a local FFL agree to accept them and have your Dad ship them to him. Some places, who do not understand the law, only accept shipments from other FFL's. So make sure that they are okay receiving straight from your Dad. Or have your Dad take them to an FFL but that will cost you double.

Steve

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
The key here is do not have them shipped directly to you. When you go to the FFL in Texas you will have to fill out the yellow form again and have them transfered to you all over again. Just as though you were buying them.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Hey all, when I joined the Navy I left my guns at home and now my Dad is sick of them, anyone know how I can ship them from California to Texas??

In your car. Seriously, depending on how many guns you have it may be cheaper.:D I'd expect 40$ per gun or so....

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
In your car. Seriously, depending on how many guns you have it may be cheaper.:D I'd expect 40$ per gun or so....
Roger that -- again, depending on the quantity -- get a trailer and tow it. It's cheap insurance and most insurance doesn't even begin to cover the value of many firearms, whether it be individually or collectively. Don't let the movers have them ever -- unless you are willing to kiss them goodbye. I've heard too many sob stories from Amigos who "gave them to the movers" and never saw them again.

If they are stolen or damaged -- it's your loss and it could be your liability ....

pat

If they are rifles and shotguns, you can use the post office. Let them know ahead of time, and you can ship to any home address. I'd reccomend sending them registered, but it is not required.

If they tell you that they don't ship guns, ask them to look it up, it's legit. I've done this numerous times, and it is WAAAY cheaper than an FFL.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Concur with the road trip to bring them back....best bet. :rolleyes:

:eyebrows_ But it could be done in a parachute bag on a Navy XC.... :icon_smil

Not that I've ever done that...:eek:

Cavt

Living the dream
pilot
Second the shipping on the long guns, the only thing you have to ship through an FFL is handguns (and probably automatic weapons) I had my shotgun sent directly to me. Just go to any gun shop and ask about it, but they may try and scam you into sending all your guns through them to make a buck. I have some more experience with this PM if you have any other questions.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
It's as simple as going to FEDEX (call them ahead of time) and having them shipped to an FFL on your end. I tried doing it via UPS a few months back....those morons have no concept of the law. FFL is only required on the recieving end of the shipment. FEDEX was quite accomodating, but expensive, at least in my case.

Apparently it is more expensive to ship things to a gun hating state like Maryland;)

skidz

adrenaline junky
Just take nice drive to go get them. You could do it quickly in 4 days(if in the lower half of California), or take a nice week trip and enjoy the time.

Driving them yourself is the surest way to get them to Texas.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
... the only thing you have to ship through an FFL is handguns (and probably automatic weapons) ...

I read the Gun Control Act of 1968 differently. You might get away with it, go undetected but if they catch you, you could be in a world of trouble.

snake020

Contributor
If they are handguns can't you just put them in your checked baggage next time you fly home and back?

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Even if they are hand guns you can do this. I have my CHL and carry generally everywhere its legal. I carry a hand gun on most every flight I take. just call ahead of time and let them know.

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
I second the road trip. It's the only way you can be positively sure they will get to your place. And it will be cheaper than shipping.

On a side note, if you ship it and it is lost or stolen, and then a crime is committed with your gun, most likely you will be held liable and could possibly be sued for damages. Do the roadtrip.