• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How to get NFO mentor?

Beefalo

Im not sure where exactly to post this so mod please re-locate if necessary.

Im enlisted active duty (PO2) applying for the flying CWO program and possibly STA-21. I am looking for an active duty NFO as a mentor at NAS Pensacola since I am stationed there also. Possibly even to shadow him/her or get aviation exposure anyway I can, with COC approval of course. Im on shore duty right now and my command is pretty tolerant about pursuing off-duty education and such as long as I keep current on my quals. What would be the best way to go about doing this? My OIC does not know any NFO or pilots. I thought about just calling or emailing some of the training squadrons here but Im not sure what the courteous and appropiate way to go about doing this is.

Beefalo

From the NAVADMIN:

C. ELIGIBLE ASSIGNMENTS: VP, VQ (P), VQ (T), HSC, HSL, AND

ASSOCIATED FRS,

I think they grouped with pilot and NFO in there though as I dont think NFO's do helos.

What is VQ(P) and (T)? VQ's are the electronic warfare squadrons right? Prowlers and Growlers.

They are selecting 3 pilot and 3 NFO for next year.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
What is VQ(P) and (T)? VQ's are the electronic warfare squadrons right? Prowlers and Growlers.

No, VAQ is electronic attack, ie Prowlers/Growlers. VQ is either EP-3's or E-6 TACAMO (big white 707 looking thing). VQ(P) would refer to EP-3's, while VQ(T) should be TACAMO/E-6

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
So are they going fill the Nav/Comm position or will they be able to become TACCO and MC qualified as well?

ltedge46

Lost in the machine
None
We have 2 new flying CWO's in my squadron, 1 pilot & 1 NFO. Should be eligible for all flying quals (PPC, TC, MC, IP, ITC, FCF etc), but as always, CO discretion on awarding final designations. I see issues making them instructors, the LT's need the instructor check to stay competitive and we are limited to how many IUT spots we get. Also there will be lots of discussion on ground jobs, the top jobs will probably be reserved for the regular LT's for the same reason. Not to say that any of those are off the table but it will be very much squadron specific.

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
Im not sure where exactly to post this so mod please re-locate if necessary.

Im enlisted active duty (PO2) applying for the flying CWO program and possibly STA-21. I am looking for an active duty NFO as a mentor at NAS Pensacola since I am stationed there also. Possibly even to shadow him/her or get aviation exposure anyway I can, with COC approval of course. Im on shore duty right now and my command is pretty tolerant about pursuing off-duty education and such as long as I keep current on my quals. What would be the best way to go about doing this? My OIC does not know any NFO or pilots. I thought about just calling or emailing some of the training squadrons here but Im not sure what the courteous and appropiate way to go about doing this is.

Rep. Excellent opening post for a thread. See, new folks? This is how it's done.

To the point. Respectful. Adds to the conversation. NOT asking what his chances are. Well played.

I wish I could help you out. There is no shortage of NFO's running around Pensacola. If nobody here helps you out, ask your OIC if it's alright for you, or better yet him, to call one of the squadrons to try to hook you up. But, go ahead and go through your own chain of command. Though, I think you are already doing that.

Good luck, PO2.

SC-NY-88

FNG
None
Is there anything like this available for collegiates (BDCP)? I will address this question to my recruiter obviously (had actually been on my mind), however is there anything specific I should/could ask about? I would love to spend some face time with officers who are doing the type of job I could be doing for the next 10+ years. Has anyone who wasn't current or a prior heard of or been through something like this? I'm guessing no but it never hurts to ask.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is there anything like this available for collegiates (BDCP)? I will address this question to my recruiter obviously (had actually been on my mind), however is there anything specific I should/could ask about? I would love to spend some face time with officers who are doing the type of job I could be doing for the next 10+ years. Has anyone who wasn't current or a prior heard of or been through something like this? I'm guessing no but it never hurts to ask.
Actually, there isn't anything like that for the OP either. He is taking the initiative and trying to cultivate a relationship with a NFO in his local area. Shouldn't be too hard for him in Pcola or for most other active types anywhere near aviation or shore duty placed aviators. If a BDCP type wants to set up something like this, it will be much harder, but not impossible. If near active or reserve squadrons, have your recruiter try to liaison for you. It would be very difficult for you to pull this off by yourself, BDCP or not. Good luck.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
If you're near an ROTC unit you could poke your head in there... they usually carry at least one officer from each URL community.

So you might not get to see what would be doing, but you might get the opportunity to get some face time and have a conversation.