• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HOW TO BECOME A PILOT IN THE NAVY

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Jock,
I was a 3.3 high school student, graduated from Iowa State with a 3.02 in Animal Science (think Animal Husbandry) and went through OCS...the Navy was my second choice (I really wanted to be a Veterinarian, but was too dumb) so I am proof that ANY retard can do this job...GO TO A REAL COLLEGE... I hear many of my fellow aviators bitch that they spent 4 years of ass-pain at the Academy while I was out drinking and whoring...USNA is a great school, your choice of college will not determine how good of an Officer you are....but your choice of school WILL determine how much fun you have on the way to becoming an Officer...if you decide to devote 10 years to the Navy (minimum to be a pilot) you will give up a lot in those ten years, do not give up the "college experience"...
Pickle

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
If they're 20/40 or worse, I'm sorry but you won't be flying (pilot).

Not true.

I had 20/70 nearsightedness before I applied to OCS. Paid for laser surgery, a waiver, and am about to be winged. I had to wait 6 months after surgery and pay for it out of my own pocket. It was worth every penny.

mahopacjock14

Thank you so much everyone! I think im going to the the summer seminar at either west point or annapolis to see how cadet life is and if thats what i really want. Also, do you have to do anything in college for OCS? And can you attend a Military Academy with asthma in general or to attend any academy I must get it waived?

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
Just get a college degree for OCS. And don't screw up with the law and so on. You'll pay for your college fun at OCS :)

Okie3

OCS NAMI CASUALTY=INTEL..I'll take it.
I admire your enthusiasm. When I was your age all I cared about was playing football and girls. I didn't stay out of trouble because I had a goal like yours in my cross-hairs, I stayed out of trouble because I had a dad who was my teacher and high school football coach. I lucked out I guess. I got a football scholarship and finally started to take school seriously even though I didn't know what the hell I was going to do when I graduated. I had no idea I would need a high GPA (to get in the Navy some day). I majored in Public Health. Not electrical engineering, not aerospace blah blah. In my opinion it's better to have a 3.5 in Health than a 2.8 in engineering. But..... choose a major you're interested in and you might enjoy. If you don't, you'll hate it and you'll probably get bad grades and your dream will be dashed. Also, you want a major you can and would want to use, just in case you don't get in. Oh and don't let anyone tell you you can't get in!! That was the long of it. Here's the short: Keep your nose clean (except when it comes to kissing a little professor ass....I had three Phds write letters of rec for me). Don't do drugs (they'll ask). How are your eyes? If they're 20/40 or worse, I'm sorry but you won't be flying (pilot). Better you know now. Get good grades. Get involved in your school. Take on leadership positions. Are you an athlete? If so, try to play sports. I'm convinced that's why I got in. If you can afford it get your private pilot license. You might find out you don't even like to fly. I didn't get mine....it helps though.

If you have any more questions about my journey or the process let me know. Good luck to you!

FLYNAVY Your story kind of sounds like mine with the major...physical education/health with 3.88 GPA don't really want to jump into basketball coaching and teaching right now. I'd rather go navy then coach when i'm an old man....got denied first time at boards...trying again for April board. Been coaching for free during my student teaching semester. I graduated last saturday. I'm coaching for free right now getting my kids through a middle school tournament this week, helping with freshman, and varsity teams also. Next week I'll be out looking for a PAYING JOB either using my PE degree at a rec center or being a lineboy at an airport haven't decided yet. Rather be on my way to OCS.

FLYNAVY20

Pro Rec, SNA, OCS 09-12
FLYNAVY Your story kind of sounds like mine with the major...physical education/health with 3.88 GPA don't really want to jump into basketball coaching and teaching right now. I'd rather go navy then coach when i'm an old man....got denied first time at boards...trying again for April board. Been coaching for free during my student teaching semester. I graduated last saturday. I'm coaching for free right now getting my kids through a middle school tournament this week, helping with freshman, and varsity teams also. Next week I'll be out looking for a PAYING JOB either using my PE degree at a rec center or being a lineboy at an airport haven't decided yet. Rather be on my way to OCS.

Keep at it. I floated around like you after college. I coached varsity track and football for a while and was going to substitute teach. Was even enrolled in a credential program but dropped out because it wasn't for me. If you have any questions, message me.

Okie3

OCS NAMI CASUALTY=INTEL..I'll take it.
Ok - have to comment - you can say "line guy," "ramp rat," "gas jockey," but don't say line "boy"..... :eek:

Yeah I've heard all those too, all the older guys call a young guy like me a "BOY" though no matter what the age. I think the average age at the GA airports around me is about 70 plus haha...usually hear good stories. I personally don't mind ramp rat.

Klinger

Get to the choppa!
pilot
If you elect to do the OCS route, and you know early on (freshman or sophomore) look into the BDCP (bachelors degree completion program). Basically, they pay you as an E-3 thru an E-5 depending on what field you pick, for up to 3 years. Plus you get housing and food allowance and health insurance. IMO, it's the best deal, you get paid to go to school, and you don't have to drill or wear uniforms. You get to be a normal college stud, except that you have money. I missed out on that opportunity because I made up my mind about joining too late me senior year.

mb1k

Yep. The clock says, "MAN TIME".
pilot
None
Good luck. I was like you and wanted to fly since I could remember. Formed my entire youth around "getting into" a service academy. The only things that changed along the way was changing my dream from being a Cobra pilot to a Navy E-6 pilot (that didn't happen BTW). And like you I had a 3.4 GPA in HS but... did not get accepted into Anapolis. They offered me NAPSTER or some sort of one year delayed program thing and I passed. No regrets.

What I did regret, and I say this as a warning to you and all others, is the year I spent after high school goofing off and letting my GPA fall to a 1.3. I spent the following year growing up real quick and trying to get an NROTC scholarship. Failed in doing that, and did four years as a non-scholarship (college program) midshipman. But proving that a blind squirrel can find the occasional nut, I graduated with a 2.3 GPA and still got into flight school. But only because I spent my last two years working my butt off getting nothing but As and Bs in a non-technical major.

There's many more layers to my story, as there are with everyone else on this forum. But my point is to not lose focus. Stay the path and you won't have the regrets that I do.