• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How Physical is TBS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarineVette

Just curious to how physical TBS is compared to OCS? How often is there organized PT or do most LTs just PT on their own. Thanks!

Doc_52

...take this for what it's worth....
I think many of us are curious about OCS vs. TBS. My son attended OCS 184 and was commissioned on December 12th. He's now at TBS, graduating on July 8th. He tells me that, overall, TBS is much more difficult (demanding) than OCS. I assumed one of the tough parts of OCS was getting yelled at all the time and never feeling there was enough time to do anything. Apparently, that is certainly true about OCS. For someone my age, I wouldn't look forward to that. I also know the "scheduled" PT and other physical activities are pretty rough. I think that regardless of how good a shape a candidate is in, the physical part pretty much breaks down your body because you don't have enough time for your body to rest and "build back up" due to the constant physical "events". My son was in pretty good shape going into OCS but he was as "poor as a snake" by the time he finished the 10 weeks. Visually, it looked like he lost a lot of muscle mass. However, he could "run like a deer" and run forever by the time it was over. He tells me that the overall routine at TBS is worse than OCS. He said that most folks have no idea how hard the Lieutenants work during TBS. Obviously, there is the physical or field time as well as class time, as there is at OCS, but I gather that it is just at a higher lever....not necessarily physical like the scheduled daily stuff as in OCS, but still very demanding. Certainly the "free time" is better at TBS but, apparently, overall, things are not "fun" all the time. The Lieutenants still get yelled at by the staff when necessary. Afterall, even though they are now Lieutenants and not Candidates, they are still all "butter bars" so, at TBS, they are still the low-man on the totem pole. I guess TBS is called the "big suck" for a reason. I'm looking forward to seeing my son at his TBS graduation in July and having some time, face-to-face, for him to more completely fill me in on what went on. By the way, his current lineal standing is 27 out of the 215 Lieutenants in his Company. Obvioulsy, I'm proud of my son! Oh, yea, he's got a pilot contract...in case you are interested. Good luck to all of you......

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
They don't call it "The Body Softener" for nothing.

There is almost no scheduled PT unless your SPC takes it upon himself to do it. All the PT is on your own for the most part. And since the endless classes and field time start to wear on you, a good percentage of people there kind of slack on their personal workouts.

Overall, I would say individual events at TBS were more difficult than individual events at OCS (the differing E-course for example - and a 20-mile hump, while not hard, is longer than the longest at OCS), but overall, TBS is less physically demanding. It's definately more mentally demanding and there is a lot more to be learned, but many of those evolutions are fun - but don't think for a minute I'd like to go back :)

/my .02

BRM21o

Squeeze,

I'm doing the enlisted reserves side right now...my question is, when does it all stop sucking? haha.

Semper Fi

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
squeeze said:
but overall, TBS is less physically demanding. It's definately more mentally demanding

by this do you mean the 2-5 hours waiting for "word"....everyday

or

putting up with student billet holders that are trying to "re-invent" the wheel with their awesome leadership qualities?

MarineVette, it's not that bad, just long. The days drag but the weeks fly by. I thought the E-Course was the hardest thing for me (PT-wise), but they gradually worked us up to it, and before the final E-Course I did some extra individual PT (when I found time) and I was fine. The humps, I mean hikes are cake, I brought all kinds of candy to keep myself occupied.

Good luck

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ya, I suppose so....didn't mean to imply that you have to study or anything.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
BRM21o said:
Squeeze,

I'm doing the enlisted reserves side right now...my question is, when does it all stop sucking? haha.

Semper Fi

That's what I want to know. Does it all pay off after OCS and TBS when you're sitting in a T-34?!!

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
The day I got to Pcola from TBS I took my family to the beach. Sitting in that white sand playing with my son and watching the clear blue water roll up in small waves, thats when it really hit me, yeah, TBS is over...and it rocks.

Seriously though, it's not that bad, you'll make some real good buds at TBS it'll help the time go buy. I enjoyed API. The first four weeks you'll study your butt off, but I still had a blast. The last two weeks, when you get to finally wear your flight suit, made it all worth it. Then of course when you strap on a T-34C.....
On my first fam in the T-34C, my instructor did every Aerobatic maneuver in the book, then topped it off with a short break.

It was awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.