• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How much to Tip

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
This came up in the commissary thread, so I thought it was worth discussing on its own merit.

At the commissary, I never tip. Usually I bring my own re-usable bags and carry everything out by hand to the car since I am shopping for only one.

In general though, maybe I am cheap, but I think my generation Y compatriots tip too much. What the HELL is the deal with a tip jar at places like Starbucks, or fast food? Seriously? Unless you have to walk back and forth to my table multiple times you aren't getting tipped. Some of my buddies consistently tip 25% and call me cheap (in a good natured way of course) for leaving less

I tip 15% for average service, 20% for excellent service, and try to pay the bill in cash if the service was bad so the server can't "improvise" on what I wrote on the credit card slip. Also, if I am in a large group and you split checks that bumps you up to the 20% category as long as you don't screw up too badly.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
I don't usually buy tons of stuff since I'm usually shopping for 1 or maybe 2, and I give them a dollar or 100yen (about $1.30).

I pretty much never tip at Starbucks et al., and I mock my husband mercilessly when he does. Those people are paid a full wage so even if they were coming back to my table for refills, they still wouldn't need a tip.

I usually tip 15-20% at restuarants and for other services where tipping is expected (haircuts, spa services, etc.).

I have to say I love that there is no tipping in Japan.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
I'll tip at my local coffee shop, if there is a line when I go in my coffe is ready 99% of the time when I get to the register. To not have to wait another 5 minutes is worth a 20% tip.

wplax26

Gold Club
pilot
None
Contributor
As a former waiter I'd say paying me in cash is actaully a favor. I think very few people will try to "change" your credit card slip, but at the end of the night a server may "forget" to claim a portion of his/her cash tips. For that reason, if I had good service I try to tip 20% with cash.

Do you ever tip before hand or mention that a tip might be involved? For example, movers or plumbers?

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
One of my 3 jobs is a server at a restaurant. I make considerably less than minimum wage. I have to claim 15% (which includes tip share) of my tips. So if someone gives me a 10% tip I am having to pay to work (who wants to do that and this happens more than you would think) and I have been told by the majority of my customers that I am a fantastic waiter. When I have busted my hump for a table to only receive 10% it pisses me off. I have come to the conclusion some people tip great all the time regardless of service and others tip terrible regardless of service. I tip people based on their service to me. I always start with a tip of at least 20% then adjust accordingly. If the service is great I will jump up considerably depending on how great. There are too many people that haven't worked in an industry driven by making your money off tips that need to in order to gain a better understanding of the challenges those individuals face.

That being said you should give someone a couple of bucks (or more depending on how much they are doing) if they handle your groceries or luggage even though they are not solely obtaining their income off those tips. This is obviously just my opinion.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
One of my 3 jobs is a server at a restaurant. I make considerably less than minimum wage. I have to claim 15% (which includes tip share) of my tips. So if someone gives me a 10% tip I am having to pay to work (who wants to do that and this happens more than you would think) and I have been told by the majority of my customers that I am a fantastic waiter. When I have busted my hump for a table to only receive 10% it pisses me off. I have come to the conclusion some people tip great all the time regardless of service and others tip terrible regardless of service. I tip people based on their service to me. I always start with a tip of at least 20% then adjust accordingly. If the service is great I will jump up considerably depending on how great. There are too many people that haven't worked in an industry driven by making your money off tips that need to in order to gain a better understanding of the challenges those individuals face.

That being said you should give someone a couple of bucks (or more depending on how much they are doing) if they handle your groceries or luggage even though they are not solely obtaining their income off those tips. This is obviously just my opinion.
If a waiter or waitress takes my order and only comes back to give me the bill they will not even get 10%. If service was good and they were friendly I'll gladly leave more than 20%. They know they are working for tips; they should at least do their job to get a tip.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Two bucks on a normal grocery run. Considering they gave me about 10 minutes of work, that works out to $12/hour, which I think is a decent wage for a job which has as its main qualification knowing that milk is heavier than bread.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I do $1 to $2 if they just bag the groceries.

$2 to $3 if they bring it out to the car.

I appreciate the service they provide, so I have no issue paying them what I feel the service is worth. I have a big problem with them assuming they'll get a tip and getting miffed when I tell them I will take the groceries out to the car myself, or when I don't have cash and can't tip them.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
I always feel strange when going through the express line with just a sandwich. Why do they even have baggers in the express lane. They aren't going to walk it to the car for me. I just feel like all the baggers are a make work deal.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I just feel like all the baggers are a make work deal.

Around here it's "Paid Volunteer Work." During the week, it's elderly people who I think have been dropped off by their kids so the old folks wouldn't get into trouble at home while the kids are at work, and on the weekends, it's all high school kids with a desperate need for cash but too little work ethic to get a real job.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot

When I said pay the bill in cash, I meant with little or no tip, just the leftover coins. It doesn't happen often, but I hear more and more anecdotes about a server fudging the credit card slip. Its always higher, never lower...hmmmm... I'm guessing its not them forgetting. Granted if this happened once to that person, and they ate out with a credit card 40 times in the last year, I guess the occurrence is still pretty rare.

One other thing, if they tax you on assumed tips of 15%, that doesn't mean you are LOSING money if you get tiped less, it just means you are paying more tax. For example, if you are in the 15% tax bracket and a bill was $100, and you get tipped $10 you pay $2.25 in tax. You still made $7.75. You are not "paying" to work.

Lastly, some states (like CA) require wiaters to be paid minimum wage BEFORE tips. Something to think about

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
When I said pay the bill in cash, I meant with little or no tip, just the leftover coins. It doesn't happen often, but I hear more and more anecdotes about a server fudging the credit card slip. Its always higher, never lower...hmmmm... I'm guessing its not them forgetting. Granted if this happened once to that person, and they ate out with a credit card 40 times in the last year, I guess the occurrence is still pretty rare.

One other thing, if they tax you on assumed tips of 15%, that doesn't mean you are LOSING money if you get tiped less, it just means you are paying more tax. For example, if you are in the 15% tax bracket and a bill was $100, and you get tipped $10 you pay $2.25 in tax. You still made $7.75. You are not "paying" to work.

Lastly, some states (like CA) require wiaters to be paid minimum wage BEFORE tips. Something to think about

Let me clarify... I don't have to claim 15% of my tips it is actually worst than that... I claim 15% of the total sales that night... If I have a single table that night and they have a total bill of $200 I have to claim 15% of 200... So if you tip me $20 I have to claim $30... The other $10 I claim is money I haven't made. Also, you should know that although you tipped me 10% I only keep 7% because I have to do tip share. That makes even more money I am having to claim. You are right... I still technically make some money but I am also getting taxed on money that is already in my pocket. But then if you factor in gas, food, etc... I would be lucky to walk away making anything... So I consider myself having to pay to work in this situation. This does happen enough to piss me off but I am typically in the green with the job so I have kept it... For now... ;)

Concerning the CC charge issues. I am sorry you have experienced that. I have personally been informed that if I was caught doing something like that I could face a fine, prosecution, etc... plus I lose my job. That isn't worth it in my opinion not that I would actually do that. In fact, you would be amazed about how many people can't do math on a CC slip. If the tip and total is not the same then we are required to put the lowest total for the customer in the system.

I wish I waited table in CA because this doesn't happen here in Missouri at least not that I know of...