• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How much time do I have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tessone

Hi folks. I'm heading off to Des Moines tomorrow for a Thursday MEPS date, and my final PFT for my package will probably be sometime late Oct.

My question is, how late is too late to be applying for PLC? Secondly, should I wait until I'm really really confident on my PFT score, or am I better off applying when my OSO wants me to and just reapplying if I get rejected on the basis of PFT?

I know I'll be ready soon (I'm PTing as much as humanly possible, in addition to martial arts classes four days a week), but I'm not sure if I'll be ready soon enough.

Thanks,
Chris

megrey06

Kingsville
Chris,
I had the same dilemma and ended up waiting about 6 weeks to take the final PFT. I just took it this past Saturday and was glad that I waited. My run time came down about two minutes (20:50)and my pull ups went up a few as well (13, still need some work). For the Marine Corps especially, I would make sure that your PFT is where it needs to be.

Check with your OSO and make sure that you get it done in time for the January class (if that's the one your shooting for). The board meets for that class on 9 December, so I would think the package would have to be in by early November at the latest.

-Matt

JF

from my understanding the selection board only considers OCC packages for the next immediate class. I.e. this December's board will only consider applications for the January class. I don't know how it works for PLC. So I wouldn't sweat your PFT score tto much right now if you are applying for say June 2003. It is better to have everything in now and not have to worry about it. You can always keep taking the PFT and your best score will go before the board. For the June class I would imagine the board meets in May.

Tessone

I'm not applying for OCC, though, I'm applying for Platoon Leaders' Course in the summer. Aren't those applications done on a rolling basis? The way my OSO talked, I'd send in the package, wait a little bit, find out if I got accepted, and then contract (i.e., I'd be contracted before Dec. and go to Quantico in June).

JF

That could very well be right. My only experience is hearing ofpeople applying for OCC. They don't know whether they are going to OCS for sure until about a month before the class.

Tessone

Yeah, I'm just hopin' and prayin' that my shin splints get better and my run time gets lower with dedication to PT. I think pullups and crunches will take care of themselves (I'm lifting and doing crunches at least 3x a week--my targets are 12+ pullups and 100 crunches). Running is worrying me, though. I guess the worst that can happen is I have to wait and go to OCS after graduating college, right? But I'm going to PT til I drop to try to get into PLC this summer.

--
Chris Tessone
http://www.polyglut.net/

JF

You could try icing your shins after you run.
Also, since I decided to pursue OCS, I ve stopped lifting all together.
Right now all I do to try is "self-weight" exercises for high reps i.e. pushups, pullups, situps, dips etc. I figure, I ll never be asked to bench press 225 lbs at OCS right? Also, for me at least, when I lift, I tend to gain alot of weight. This unnecessary weight hinders my run times, pullups etc. and place more stress on my joints and shins. I was told to be a light as possible before shipping out. By the way, if I had to do it all over again, I probably would have done PLC before graduating college.

kmc9280

Hey JF,
I read somewhere that the board meets December 9 for the January class so the deadline would be mid Novemberish. I have pretty much limited myself to push-ups, sit-up and pull-ups as well. I need to start doing more dips but the weight training takes more time and energy I think. The main thing I can suggest if possible is to lose weight! I have an athletic build but had room to lose. I weighed in at 190 at MEPS. I've been dieting, taking vitamins, drinking lots of water and watching the labels- I splurge on caffeine free diet coke sometimes. I'll be at about 175 soon, that's another 3 or 4 pull-ups! I have used the Armstrong program and weighted pull-ups but now use a mixture of the two, it works well. For the shin splints I ice 3 times a day, take some tylenol and I bought a compression wrap. I must admit they are not gone but they are much better to deal with.

Kevin

JF

Cool. I know my package needs to be complete Nov 7th. I am all set just need to pass the ASTB and take a final PFT. Right now, I am totally focusing on those two things.

kmc9280

The ASTB wasn't too bad the part you need to ace is the spatial apperception, it's important. I did fairly well on the math/verbal part the spatial is what carried me through, I got 34 out of 35. My final scores were 6AQR,7PFAR,7FOFAR,6BIPilot, 9 BINFO and a 52 OAR. I know half those scores aren't even looked at though. All I have left before submitting is the PFT and i'm doing that next week I think.

Kevin

Tessone

As for lifting, I'm not talking about bench presses and barbells. I do a routine that uses dumbells and involves pushups and free squats. My focus is pretty much on endurance--I'm not going for a Rambo look or anything. :)

--
Chris Tessone
http://www.polyglut.net/

Status
Not open for further replies.