• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How much does a high PRT score help?

GlennH

How long does it take to get a meps appointment?

Does anyone know/remember how long it takes to get into meps (for a day of bliss) after you've submitted all your medical documents to your recruiter?

I'm leaving for South America for 2 months on January 5th and I'm trying to get my package done before I leave... hopin thats feasible.

Also, is there a pretty significant amount of bullshit you have to wade through if you've gotten surgery(s)? I'm assuming there is.

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
Dont know about the processing time but when I was ready to go to MEPS it only took a week to set up my appointment.

I'm sure it probably depends on the MEPS location. My recruiter setup my appointment for the week following my pro-rec.

Everyone's experience is going to be somewhat different. I have absolutely zero past/present major medical injuries to report BUT my minor ones were explored thoroughly! :crazy_125

Just a warning...they have a new questionnaire you have to fill out and depending on how you score they make you come back for a psych consult. My psych consult couldn't be scheduled sooner than a month after my initial MEPS visit.

1st MEPS visit: 0545 - 1230 (Busy day - lots of poking/prodding)
2nd MEPS visit: 0600 - 1300 (Sat around till 1130 just to talk for maybe 10 min then sat around again till 1300) :sleep_125

GlennH

Do you HAVE to go to meps and do a PRT before you can get Pro Req'd? Is it possible to submit your package w/o having gone to meps and done a PRT (in which case you would just do those things before your final select)?

If the answer to that is yes, would that hurt your chances of getting pro req'd if you haven't done a PRT?

I'm going to be able to dominate the PRT, and if that's something that WILL help me then I definitely want to make sure I do it before I apply.

Reason I ask is because I'm sort of in a time crunch for getting my application in. I'm going away for 2 months in January and I want to try and have everything processing while I'm living the vagrant lifestyle in South America.

arianjalali

I do not know if submitting your PRT before or after your board application will make a difference. I'm sure others will chime in soon and answer that part. However, I can tell you that any time you spend outside of the United States will make the clearance review take longer (believe this occurs during the time period between Pro-Rec and Final Select). I am in the process of receiving a 'secret' clearance and one of the questions I was asked during my interview was about foreign travel. Depending on which South American country you're visiting, how long you stayed, who you know that lives there, and what the general reason for your travel was will determine how much of an investigation it requires. This will be especially more thorough if you're applying for IW or Intel as these require TS clearances. Just a thought! Best of luck to ya.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
no kidding. I'm going for SNA so hopefully the security clearance wont be too intense.

Best thing to do is talk to your Recruiter about your planned travel so you'll know what info you'll be required to submit and whether you're inadvertantly going someplace that will raise a flag.

arianjalali

If I'm not mistaken, then SNA requires a 'secret' clearance. So it shouldn't be too awful. Follow what heyjoe said, though.. He knows what he's talkin' about

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
If I'm not mistaken, then SNA requires a 'secret' clearance. So it shouldn't be too awful. Follow what heyjoe said, though.. He knows what he's talkin' about

True, though if you go Tailhook they will open up a TS/SBI investigation on you when you check into advanced.

nugget61

pilot
Do you HAVE to go to meps and do a PRT before you can get Pro Req'd? Is it possible to submit your package w/o having gone to meps and done a PRT (in which case you would just do those things before your final select)?
If the answer to that is yes, would that hurt your chances of getting pro req'd if you haven't done a PRT?

To answer your original question, you can do both meps and prt after the pro-rec. They don't really help your application, they're actually just a check in the box. Its good to know you're not a fatass but your OR should have screened that before he sent you to the boards.