• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How many PRK'ers on this forum gotten accpeted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
I see all these posts about how everyone has gotten the PRK procedure done, but I haven't seen much of people actually getting accepted to OCS. I would like to know how many people have had it done, got the waiver, and got accepted to OCS with no problem. It seems like although you can get the surgery, you have to wait for a long time and I haven't read much about guys getting accepted. So let me know. I only ask this because I will need to have the eye correction surgery too. Just want to make sure it's a possibility of getting accepted. Anyone wish they would of have done anything different about it all? Thanks.

"For he who serves his fellows, is among his fellows greatest."
- Meteu -

jmac12

EA-6B,
I had the surgery and got picked up as an NFO, but my situation was a little different because I had signed before I had the surgery. From what I understand, the waiver is the same for pilots and FO's. I, and anyone who has had the surgery and gotten the waiver, has to participate in a Navy wide study which basically means they test my eyes every year. They may not need anymore people for the study though. I came through OCS in Sept. You do have to wait 90 days after surgery to apply, so that will push your OCS start date back a while. Another problem is that right now they are pretty well stocked on pilots in the training pipeline. FO's are a different story. I don't know if this would have any effect on actually getting the waiver. I know I babbled about a lot of stuff. If there is anything you want me to clarify, e mail me.

John

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Thats good news. Any others?

- Meteu -

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
anyone know when the study ends?

"Push the stick foward, the houses get bigger; pull back, the houses get smaller... unless you keep pulling back, then they get bigger again."

DBLang

PLC Candidate
Well i think the study is in existence to determine whether or not PRK is an acceptable operation for aviators and potential aviators to have. And it seems to be doing well from what I read, so I would assume that when the study ends, PRK will not be disqualifying.

kmc9280

I ha PRK done last year about this time. I checked out and finally received the waiver in November of last year. It's a long process, just be careful and go by the book. I haven't gone to OCS yet but the PRK thing hasn't held me back at all.

Kevin

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
what are the steps we need to follow when you say "by the book"? Just don't want to screw up here...thanks

"Push the stick foward, the houses get bigger; pull back, the houses get smaller... unless you keep pulling back, then they get bigger again."

jneagl01

I went through OCS last summer and had PRK in december. My three months are up and my papers are now being submitted for the waiver. If i dont get the waiver for flight status, can i still go in as ground?

DBLang

PLC Candidate
I would think so if you've already been through OCS, but I dont see why they wouldn't waive you if you if everything is OK with you eyes now.

kmc9280

your OSO should be able to gove you all the spec's to make sure you qualify for the procedure. You want to be sure you are within the range before you have it done. Once you know you're pre-surgery vision is within limits have it done by a doctor who is familiar with this. My doc had done this on Navy boys during the initial studies and is the director of laser surgery in Kansas City. She knew what post-op stuff needed to be done and so forth. After your 3 months is up you need to get with your OSO again to get checked by a military doc who then can write up the waiver info. Then it's all waiting.

Kevin

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
So after the procedure is done, you wait three months. Then you go to your OSO and get checked by a military doctor to make sure things are good to go. Then are you just a regular applicant again waiting to hear word? Thanks.

- Meteu -

kmc9280

After the military doc checks you out, he will put together a packet to send to NOMI saying you are ok and it has to be approved for waiver. If everything is ok, it will be approved within a couple months.

Kevin

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Anyone else out there? I'm trying to find all information I can about PRK.

- Quote on being selected for an OCS spot -
"If you are chosen, you will have been chosen by Men 'who have been there and done that' and have decided that they wished to have you in Their company, there is no such medal worth as much."

txpike

what do you need to know about it? There really is no secret about applying for SNA/NFO if you have had PRK or thinking about getting it. Just get all the Pre-op reports and Post-op reports from your surgeon and your recruiter will send all the reports to the head surgeon for the navy. It is all waiting until he qualifies you for flight. Good luck and let me know what if I can help you with anything. I just got my waiver last week and am swearing in today as a SNA.

"Is any man afraid or fainthearted? Let him go home so that his brothers will not become diheartened too." Deuteronomy 20:8

Status
Not open for further replies.