• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How many flight physicals are there?

love2fly

Hello,

This is my first post here. Anyways, I just graduated college w/ a degree in ATC. My goal has always been to become a pilot, but I couldn't afford to go about it through the civilian route. I do have my PPL though. Anyways, I was diagnosed w/ ADD as a fourth grader and continued on the medicine (Adderall) until my freshman year of college. In order to get my FAA medical, I had to sell my car and drop thousands of dollars to have long psychiatric exams and testing from a psych. who specializes in aviation. As it turns out, the psychiatrist's report said that my test results and grades were incompatible with a diagnosis of ADD. Fast forward to today and I graduated w/ a 3.6 GPA and also finished top of my class at an Aircraft Dispatcher course. Contrast that to my 3.1 GPA in high school when I was on the medicine. It's been almost four years now since I've been off of the meds.

Now that I've graduated, I'm seriously considering joining the US Navy and applying for OCS. I've been reading through the forums somewhat and have a few questions concerning the flight physicals and how my past history of ADD medications could affect them. First, I was wondering how many physicals a prospective Naval Aviator must go through? I read something about MEPS & NAMI. I have absolutely no military background so if someone could explain to me the different physicals one must get I'd be really appreciative. Second, if say I passed this MEPS physical and they waivered me for my prior history of ADD, which I assume is the first one an applicant must take, would I automatically have a waiver for the subsequent physicals? If I couldn't get a waiver, would I still be obligated to serve? Finally, a few months ago, I was taken to the ER for chest pains. They found absolutely nothing wrong with me and thought that it was probably just gas. Would that have any consequences in a physical?

Sorry for all of the questions. Like I said, I have no military background and am looking for some answers before I start the OCS application process.

Thanks

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
L2F,
You will get a physical examination prior to receiving an offer to join the military (MEPS physical). That physical will determine your suitability for commissioning. If a medical condition, either active or historic, is found on that physical, and is disqualifying for commissioning or general service, you will need to get a "waiver of physical standards" to move the process forward. For conditions that are disqualifying for general service, and which will need a waiver, refer to DOD instruction 6130.03.

To even get to an aviation physical, you must have been found fit for general duty, or have waivers for any medical diagnoses. If you are applying for a flight program, you will get another physical after commissioning (NAMI flight physical) which will determine your eligibility for aviation. The NAMI waiver guide link on this website has information regarding the physical standards for aviation, and some requirements for potential waiver recommendations.

A medical waiver for general commissioning will have little to no impact on any waiver recommendation for aviation for the same condition, and conditions that have been waived for general commissioning may not be waived for aviation as the physical standards are higher. In fact, because the physical examination process for aviation is more detailed than the MEPS physical, additional conditions that are disqualifying for aviation programs may be discovered even after you have been found "fit" or have valid medical waivers for general commissioning. As a candidate, there is little recourse to appeal an unfavorable waiver recommendation, which essentially terminates any chance at an aviation career in the Navy. That phenomenon is known as the "NAMI whammy", which comes up fairly frequently in any Naval aviation setting.

I defer to the recruiters on this site to answer whether or not you would be required to serve if you were not qualified for aviation. Used to be that decision had a lot to do with how much money Uncle Sam had spent on you up to that point.

Recommend bringing you ER records to MEPS so they can see them. From your description, don't see that causing any problems.

R/

love2fly

Thanks for the reply sir. After looking at that guide, it looks like I'd have to have an aeromedical summary by a flight surgeon and complete comprehensive testing from a neuropsychologist after stopping the meds. Back when I got my FAA medical, I had to go through what seems like the same hurdles. I had all of the comprehensive neuropsych testing as required in the NAMI waiver guide. Let's say I made it through the MEPS physical and got to OCS to take the NAMI physical. If I brought a copy of all my transcripts, medical history, and the neuropsychologist's report and test results that I already have, would NAMI require me to do all of the testing again, or would that be sufficient for issuing the waiver? According to the waiver guide, it just says the report must be made by a licensed neuropsychologist and after stopping the meds, which it was. Also, does NAMI issue the waiver right there at OCS, or do they send it somewhere for further review?

Thanks Again,
Rob

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
L2F,
If you decide to go through with the recruiting process, and make it to OCS, definitely bring any records for review at NAMI if you want aviation. NAMI may require you to under neuropsych testing, but they may use the information you already have. As a medical command, NAMI only makes recommendations to the line, which has waiver authority. The granting or denial of a waiver always resides with the line; medical is only an advisor. Now, the line generally follows medical's recommendation, but it could go either way. That said, you might have to spend some time in limbo after OCS if the waiver process is slow or complicated.
R/

love2fly

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to go through with the process of applying. Nothing worth fighting for comes easy. I've already overcome all of the hurdles the FAA put me through, and am willing to do it again.

Regard,
Rob

love2fly

One more thing. Would they probably look favorably on the fact that I got approved by the FAA and was able to get my private pilot's license? My situation really sucks because according to the waiver guide, the considerations for waivers are different if you weren't on the meds for ALL of college. I got off them a few weeks into college and as a consequence, my requirements are now different.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

Hello,

This is my first post here. Anyways, I just graduated college w/ a degree in ATC. My goal has always been to become a pilot, but I couldn't afford to go about it through the civilian route. I do have my PPL though. Anyways, I was diagnosed w/ ADD as a fourth grader and continued on the medicine (Adderall) until my freshman year of college. In order to get my FAA medical, I had to sell my car and drop thousands of dollars to have long psychiatric exams and testing from a psych. who specializes in aviation. As it turns out, the psychiatrist's report said that my test results and grades were incompatible with a diagnosis of ADD. Fast forward to today and I graduated w/ a 3.6 GPA and also finished top of my class at an Aircraft Dispatcher course. Contrast that to my 3.1 GPA in high school when I was on the medicine. It's been almost four years now since I've been off of the meds.

Now that I've graduated, I'm seriously considering joining the US Navy and applying for OCS. I've been reading through the forums somewhat and have a few questions concerning the flight physicals and how my past history of ADD medications could affect them. First, I was wondering how many physicals a prospective Naval Aviator must go through? I read something about MEPS & NAMI. I have absolutely no military background so if someone could explain to me the different physicals one must get I'd be really appreciative. Second, if say I passed this MEPS physical and they waivered me for my prior history of ADD, which I assume is the first one an applicant must take, would I automatically have a waiver for the subsequent physicals? If I couldn't get a waiver, would I still be obligated to serve? Finally, a few months ago, I was taken to the ER for chest pains. They found absolutely nothing wrong with me and thought that it was probably just gas. Would that have any consequences in a physical?

Sorry for all of the questions. Like I said, I have no military background and am looking for some answers before I start the OCS application process.

Thanks

There is a wait time after you stop taking the meds (I think it is still 5 years), it sounds like all your ducks are in a row you just have to make sure you meet the wait time.