• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How many Carriers are enough?

jmcquate

Contributor
Let's just convince the Japanese to build the Akagi II and teach those great grand kids of Val, Kate, and Zeke drivers how to fly Hornets...........problem solved........that's what I do, I solve problems.;)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Regardless of its imperial grandeur of yesteryear, SBMA is a crap hole and was one of the few places that made the boat seem appealing. On top of it all, the boat picked up a nasty GI bug there that worked its way through the crew. SWOs were standing double watches and the Marines were ready to cancel whole flight skeds because of the number of people shitting and barfing their brains out.
Ah . . . the double dragon. Ours reared its ugly head(s?) after Thailand. Just in time for OEF ops. Seems like half the crew got sick and the other half became germophobes if they weren't already.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
On top of it all, the boat picked up a nasty GI bug there that worked its way through the crew. SWOs were standing double watches and the Marines were ready to cancel whole flight skeds because of the number of people shitting and barfing their brains out.

Sounds like Peru. The only time I almost called Emergency flight quarters for non-aircraft requirements. In retrospect, I'm amazed I made it through an entire 3 hour bag.

Lawman

None
Yeah, you are correct; those PI Marines are tough as nails....this is a bit better story with incredible photos.

That whole concept is a trip. Those guys are resupplied by the Phils driving a riverine boat by every couple weeks with a dingy full of shit they need and thats life for months on end.

I imagine the green of jungle over growth encroaching on the Clark AB I remember.

The parts of the bases Ive been too where they arent actively occupied look like something out of the walking dead... the parts where they are tend to look like a jungle version of the Book of Eli. Hell yesterday we went up to work with one of the groups of there FAC's... these guys were living in what appeared to be a condemned industrial building. If these guys saw housing on 29 Palms they would think they were in Heaven let alone some place that isnt a hole in the Earth.

Kaman

Beech 1900 pilot's; "Fly it like you stole it"
Had to make unscheduled crew swap for the H2P...We were in PG, and the normally talkative LTjg was very quiet...And, announced, "Sir ( the old man was the HAC ) I need to take a crap" "ok, as in you feel sick?" UMMMM, YES! We came in between cycles, landed on spot 1 ( not our usual on the angle due to re-spot) and climbed out with a massive shit-stain on seat of his pants...He tried a little pressure relief, and "shared".
Had a similar situation befall me on one of the rare occasions I decided to be a good guy ( AW1 with 16 years at this point ) and flew swimmer with a newbie TSO/AW3 to give him a break and let him get some experience in the seat and run the show while I took a nap...BAD chicken or something...another land between cycles...Dash for the head...IN FULL SAR GEAR...You know wetsuit...not so fun times and memories

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Basing in the PI for a FDNF unit is pretty much impossible with the way the PI constitution is written. Short duration rotational forces are much easier to accommodate.

The Filipinos want US forces there, that whole agreement that Presidents Obama and Aquino signed a few months ago lends itself to that. However, there are factions in the Filipino Senate that will expectedly fight it.

As for a buildup, regardless of opinion on the condition of Subic, it's logically a sound choice as a large majority of the facilities are still in place since it's a very large industrial port.

Unfortunately, the Cubi Pt O'Club now looks like a bomb went off inside of it and condos are built right outside of the patio so the views of Subic harbor aren't quite what they used to be.

jmcquate

Contributor