• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How long until my first check?

hotwings

First, i just want to say I am not just in it for the money. I understand how this question can give the wrong impression, however I have a family so I was wondering if anyone knows how long it takes to get your first check. My guess would be about a month after you start OCS.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
It depends, you'll get everything set up when you get there. Of course it's the military and pay is probably gonna get fucked up...sometimes it takes a little bit for things to iron out but things usually work out. Also, if you notice anything jacked up they will work with you on getting back pay for any pay you were entitled to but were not getting. You'll be so stressed during OCS that they know you won't want that major stressor weighing too heavily on you. Your Class Chief will really be on you guys about making sure your pay is squared away.

I saw my checks coming in as soon as was possible if I recall.

Stayafloat

Professional API Student
Took me one month to get my first paycheck, and you'll get your travel allowance even before that.

SticknRudder

Don't ever apologize for asking about pay...let's be realistic -- you're not going to work for free, and you do have a family to feed. My only military experience is the Guard, and I can tell you that what I experienced was a constant battle to keep my drill-pay coming in. My brother (active-duty Marine) had some problems with pay through basic, but said they've been on the ball every two weeks since.

hotwings

My recruiter just asked me to bring in a voided check so we can get my direct deposit done before i even leave for ocs (march 28). So it sounds like this will not be an issue.

NUFO06

None
trust but verify, pay issues will happen, had a few myself already and i only have 3.5 years in.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Agree wtih the trust but verify. You will do the "bring me a voided check" numerous times throughout your career. I'm still waiting for my DLA from when I moved to Corpus. I have been here since October and no money still. I was asked to bring a "voided check" too on check in day :)

Always keep a weary eye on your finances every pay period. I was once missing 1200 bucks..granted it fixed itself but that was a painful month until they fixed the glitch Office Space style.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Agree wtih the trust but verify. You will do the "bring me a voided check" numerous times throughout your career. I'm still waiting for my DLA from when I moved to Corpus. I have been here since October and no money still. I was asked to bring a "voided check" too on check in day :)

Always keep a weary eye on your finances every pay period. I was once missing 1200 bucks..granted it fixed itself but that was a painful month until they fixed the glitch Office Space style.

And on the flip side it can get painful when they screw up in your favor. I've got a buddy who was paid too much BAH while at OCS, they just caught it now even though he commissioned over a year ago. Guess who isn't getting a paycheck this month?!

NUFO06

None
The worst part is alot of times they dont even tell you. They just take half your paycheck and you dont find out till payday. Even on deployment pay is getting messed up. I am still working a pay issue that I had before I left for deployment, its so annoying, especially when the government credit card people get involved. But all you can tell them is, you get paid when I get paid.

Shakeszilla

Question: Is there a signing bonus or any advanced pay before you leave for OCS? I hear that uniforms are expensive and it would be nice to schedule a few credit card payments ahead of time so that I wouldn't have to worry about any of that during OCS.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
You don't pay your uniform bill until the end of OCS when you've built up some income. You do not get a pay advance, but you do get reimbursed for your travel expenses to OCS. I suggest driving and staying at decent hotels along the way...it was nice when it was on someone else's dime.

Yes, definitely make payments or call your bill collectors in advance and tell them your situation. You will have orders to back up what you have to say. Also later on in training you will have access to the computer to do whatever business you need to conduct. Another simple thing is to delegate a family member to take care of your affairs. My wife (then my fiance') handled all my finances when I was at OCS. She would pay my bills out of my bi-monthly checks.

nativeofsandieg

Maybe this questions has already been asked, and if so I apologize. But what about things like credit card bills, car payments, insurance etc. Will I have access to a computer after the first month of OCS to pay all of this stuff? Just curious...

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Maybe this questions has already been asked, and if so I apologize. But what about things like credit card bills, car payments, insurance etc. Will I have access to a computer after the first month of OCS to pay all of this stuff? Just curious...

Do yourself a favor and set it up to auto-draft out of your bank account.

Jynx

*Placeholder*
Contributor

Yea, but the connections are shoddy and you're pressed for time. Set up an auto pay in advance with as many things as you can and save yourself the aggro. If you have something that you just plain can't automate, call that company and tell them your situation. More often then not, people are happy to help a (respectful and unassuming) serviceperson.