• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How long from OCS to API?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michaela

Hey all! I posted this question on studentpilot.net, but was told I might get a better answer if I came over here. I'm leaving for OCS in January. After graduation, what's the average wait right now to begin API? I've heard anything from 1 week to a year. And then, after API, do we start flying right away or is there another wait? I was told prior flight experience doesn't get you in any faster. Is this true? Messages posted on the studentpilot.net forum indicated prior training may get you started earlier (USAF) because you are not held up finishing IFT as long (if you're going USAF of course, but was wondering if the process is similar in the Navy).

Michaela

Dave Shutter

I just heard from a gal on her to API and she says currently there is a 4-6 wait for API but only 1 week afterwards for Primary. I start OCS in a month and if that's true I expect to start Primary the middle of next spring. This is all subject to change at any instant.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
I was told that the wait for API depends on what time of year you are going through API and what base you want to goto for primary.

Dave

Michaela

Hey, thanks for all your responses!

Matt- I didn't realize there was an accelerated program in Primary. What is the difference between that and the regular primary program?

Michaela

Hey again,
If I'm offered this program, do I have a choice? How many people are actually selected to go accelerated... based on your experience, what do you think the chances are I'd be chosen?
Also, any other websites you would recommend I check out regarding OCS, Navy flying, etc.?

OCS in Jan!

Michaela

Same here... 05 JAN. I just got my start date a couple days ago. Looks like we're in the same class.

quote:
Michaela - When in January do you start OCS? I start on 05 JAN.

Rory

OCS in Jan!

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
Michaela,
i am just finishing up OCS right now and i will graduateing in a couple of weeks. i just had my API brief last week and they officaly told us that we would be waiting for 4-6 weeks. However i also have the holidays to contend. But you might have a shorter wait because you wont have to deal wit NROTC or the acadamey. but that is basicly the wait you are looking at right now.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
quote:If I'm offered this program, do I have a choice? How many people are actually selected to go accelerated... based on your experience, what do you think the chances are I'd be chosen?

As Matt mentioned earlier, whether you go through the accelerated program is based on the number of flight hours you have. You may start off on the accelerated program, but if you aren't "hacking" it, or aren't ready for it in the IPs view, you will drop back to the regular program. Basically, the program is taking in to account you are more at ease flying and understand how to at least talk on the radios.. etc.

A guy going through Primary when I was at VT6 just blew through the program, he was a former Instrument Instructor, and he was teaching the IPs things during his Radio Instrument syllabus!

In the end, it all boils down to your comfort level. If you don't like the accelerated syllabus, speak up!

Mahler

I for one am looking forward to the accelerated program. I'm already a pilot and have been studying aircraft my whole college career. When I went to ACES this summer, I found the T-34 an easy airplane to fly. I think I would go crazy with someone expalaining to me for two hours what happens you pull back on the stick. I've had enough of that in Stability and Control class this semester :)

Speaking of class... Our senior design is wrapping up in a few weeks. We're designing a four seat, three surface (canard and horizontal tail) powered glider called the Whisper, and it kicks a$$. I'm in the process of designing it for X-Plane and FS2002 so we can make some videos of it flying around for our final presentation. I'll send the files to anyone who's interested. Tomorrow I'll post a few pictures of it (don't have them with me).

James

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
I might be wrong but the acclerated version of primary is the same as the non accelerated but they expect you to know quite a bit already. So dont be surprised if you do get the same lessons that youve already had in college.

Dave

Mahler

It's been my understanding that the accelerated program assums you know the basics; therefore, they can move on to more advanced lessons sooner - hence the term "accelerated".

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Well, you are still going to get taught the same material, but the IP is going to tell right away how far along you are if for example you are trimming the aircraft with out being told to, can spit out position reports, handle the comms, and manage to do some of these at the same time! From what I recall, it was all on a case by case basis, and depending on how well you performed, that was how quick they pushed you through. You are still going to demo the level speed change, turns, stall buffet, et al, but more than likely you can blow right through that stuff quicker than the average bear (namely myself, who had zilch time in ANY aircraft at the controls). But, the playing field levels off after the first 8 or so flights (got it right Matt?), as mentioned by the IPs and by the end training numbers, when comparing an SNA with flight hours VS. another without any hours. In the end, I don't think you will get bored, if anything, you will get overloaded, and more will be expected of you! Which is as it should be, since you should be more comfortable in the plane, whereas I wish I could have gotten a recording of my first time in the landing pattern as I tried to spit out the radio comms, god that must have been a pitiful sounding thing.... All the best..

Status
Not open for further replies.