• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How long does it take to get a commission

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently enlisted in the Navy. I leave for basic in august and I have a college degree. How long should it take before I am eligible to be commissioned? My job will be AT, and I would like to apply for flight school as soon as possible, however I will turn 25 at bootcamp. Do I have enough time to get a commission and get accepted to flight school? I plan on getting my private pilot's license while I am enlisted, and I have heard that will influence whether or not I get accepted to flight training. I know I'm a little too old to go officer as a prior enlisted sailor, but with an english degree and a less than perfect gpa I was told that the Navy would not accept me as an officer candidate. Someone please give me some advice.

thanks,

derek

Cordespc

None
Contributor
Derek,
I commend your decision to enlist, and congratulate you on chosing to be an AT. I've been in for almost 7 years now and I've loved every minute of it. The AT rate is full of challenges and opportunities, but I have to wonder why you chose to enlist vice apply for a commission.

It sounds like you are motivated, and have an excellent ASVAB score. I would definitely attempt to apply directly to OCS if you have not already. Since you already have a degree, I am almost certain you will be ineligible for the STA-21 program, and will need to apply for OCS as an enlisted sailor. You will likely be able to do this as soon as you reach your permanent duty station (about a year after enlisting), but your package will probably get a lot more attention and help from your seniors if you have been there a while and earned a good name for yourself. The recommendations of your chain of command may make a difference, but you will still be applying with the same GPA.

I would strongly suggest seeking out an OSO and see if you are eligible to apply to OCS. At a minimum, make them tell you that you are ineligible, don't take someone else's word for it. Best of luck.

-Paul/AT1

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
jdreeves915 said:
I recently enlisted in the Navy. I leave for basic in august and I have a college degree. How long should it take before I am eligible to be commissioned? My job will be AT, and I would like to apply for flight school as soon as possible, however I will turn 25 at bootcamp. Do I have enough time to get a commission and get accepted to flight school? I plan on getting my private pilot's license while I am enlisted, and I have heard that will influence whether or not I get accepted to flight training. I know I'm a little too old to go officer as a prior enlisted sailor, but with an english degree and a less than perfect gpa I was told that the Navy would not accept me as an officer candidate. Someone please give me some advice.

thanks,

derek
Curious as to why you enlisted when you already have a degree. If your goal is a commission, I think you just made your task more difficult by enlisting.

Brett

NEED2FLY

Wow, after reading your post, I thought "Oh no, why didn't he just do NROTC" and get his commission upon completing college. That's the route I took and I think it is definately the way to go(kill two birds with one stone - so to speak). But like Cordespc said, try to get accepted to OCS (STA-21 program)> and remember...gpa isn't everything, and the support of your seniors really help. Stick out from among your peer..but in a good way. Hope everything works out for you.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Not due to leave for RTC until August...still time to talk to an officer recruiter before then. Nothing's "official" w/ no going back until you go to MEPS the second time around... Agree w/ Brett - would be easier to just submit a package for OCS rather than work it from inside I think.

beyond1984

Derek,

You still have time to tell the officers at MEPS that you are interested in applying for OCS. As soon as they know that, they will halt the process of you going to Enlisted Boot Camp in August. You should definitely apply for OCS while you are a civilian. Once you are Enlisted, it will be difficult to go through the application process. Trust me on that one because I have been through it. Again, do not waste your time enlisting if your ultimate goal is to get commission. Good Luck.

Do any of you know how I can get in touch with an OSO? I had a couple of arrests in my past, and I believe that would keep me from being accepted to OCS. I live in Mississippi, so if any of you know of an OSO nearby I'd love to speak with him/her.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Apply to OCS now! Look at the Navy Recruiting website (http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/) or the Navy's website (http://www.navy.com) or look in your phonebook under Navy and find an OFFICER recruiter. If you don't get it before you go to Boot Camp, you can apply after you are in. CORDESP is correct, you are NOT elgible for the STA-21 program..it is for Navy folks that have not finished their degree. Good luck.
ea6bflyr

Status
Not open for further replies.