• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How long did you wait for TBS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
Crowbar said:
IIf your student staff is a bunch of ****tards like ours, they will tell you to have all five laminated. Don't waste your money. And don't waste money on that stupid little $6 laminated ops orders for moron flip notebook.
Good point on the Maps, its been about two and a half years since I had the land nav class, so forgot all about that. I was mainly thinking about the people that lost their map, and what a cluster that was for them. For example doing land nave on a sheet of Ice and snow, some poor chuck drops the map, and watches it slide about 100 yds into the nearest river and float off.

Malice 1 said:
You guys keep talking about binders. What is stopping you from going to Wal mart and buying 3 black 3" binders for like 2 bucks each? Are you buying empty binders or do they come loaded?

Nothing is stopping you from spending $3 on a binder, just when I was there, I looked around everywhere, and the cheapest ones I could find weren’t so cheap. Just imagine that when all of a sudden 6 platoons of 40-50 need 3” binders, or some other dumb little thing, it can tend to clean a store out. If you got the time, make a little list of some of this bullsh;t and show up prepared.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
BigWorm said:
If you got the time, make a little list of some of this bullsh;t and show up prepared.

Great idea! Worm, I guess that's why you're flying jets and I'm not.

OR you could show up to TBS with YOUR OWN LAMINATOR and charge your platoon half as much as it would cost them out in town and everyone would make out like Bandits.

Malice 1

pilot
E5B said:
Great idea! Worm, I guess that's why you're flying jets and I'm not.

OR you could show up to TBS with YOUR OWN LAMINATOR and charge your platoon half as much as it would cost them out in town and everyone would make out like Bandits.

I am soo doing that. I'm going to office depot right now.

E5B, I would love to get base housing, but that is kinda out of the question. I am living in my mom's basement right now, in Alexandria VA. My fiance is moving to woodbridge with me in 3 weeks. We need our own place really soon.

I am not going to TBS until 0?/??/200?.

I highly doubt that I can get base housing before TBS, considering I don't even get a paycheck. Pre-TBS 2LT's are nothing but civilians with a fancy uniform getting dusty in the back of thier closet.

lance

Hey "Malice" if you wouldn't have blown your engine trying to show off to corvettes, you might have a little extra cash in hand.

Just joking---Hows Virgina treating you, besides the DEBT. Andy and I stopped by travis's to check on your tires. You get them yet?

P.S. Andy rode with me for the flyover this year. Had to pull up to miss the West Hanger. We were showing just a little under Vne on the old "BONANZER" She was running for all she was worth- T.L.F. and Tompson were still pulling ahead of us when we went over the school.

KBayDog

Malice 1 said:
I am soo doing that. I'm going to office depot right now.

E5B, I would love to get base housing, but that is kinda out of the question. I am living in my mom's basement right now, in Alexandria VA. My fiance is moving to woodbridge with me in 3 weeks. We need our own place really soon.

1. Going to Office Depot right now to get a laminator is probably not the best way to pay off debt.

2. BAH for O-1 w/dependents is currently $1298. I, too, would recommend base housing. It is readily available, there are no hassles, and (like E5B said) you don't need deposits. You can't get it now, but what is wrong with living with your mother until you report to TBS? I'm not in your shoes, but if you have so much debt and no place to live, perhaps the time is not right for your fiance to move "in" with you...

Also, bigworm is right on the money. There are NO $2 binders out there. If you are lucky, you'll find a place within 30 miles that actually carries them after a TBS class picks up, and if you are even lucker, they'll be less than $10 a piece. DO be worried about the nickle-and-dime stuff - it adds up very, very quickly.

Finally, be concerned about the debt. When you are up for a clearance, they do a credit check - having loads of debt will affect your ability to get clearances. (Do a search - this topic has been covered on AW recently.)

Malice 1

pilot
Whats up Lance?

I am living in my moms basement rotting away. Seriously, you are gonna have your wings before I do.

LOL about the corvettes. You would slap me if you could see what I have done to my camaro. It is insane. The turbo is cool as hell. I was at the drag strip last friday, and I blew away a dodge viper. I felt cool.

I just blew up my transmission on saturday. There goes another chunk of change. It couldn't handle all that torque in it's stock form.

I haven't touched an airplane in 4 months. The punks out here have the nuts to charge $90/hr for a C172.

I am coming your way in a few weeks. We'll go out for a beer.

Malice 1

pilot
KBayDog said:
1. Going to Office Depot right now to get a laminator is probably not the best way to pay off debt.

2. BAH for O-1 w/dependents is currently $1298. I, too, would recommend base housing. It is readily available, there are no hassles, and (like E5B said) you don't need deposits. You can't get it now, but what is wrong with living with your mother until you report to TBS? I'm not in your shoes, but if you have so much debt and no place to live, perhaps the time is not right for your fiance to move "in" with you...

Also, bigworm is right on the money. There are NO $2 binders out there. If you are lucky, you'll find a place within 30 miles that actually carries them after a TBS class picks up, and if you are even lucker, they'll be less than $10 a piece. DO be worried about the nickle-and-dime stuff - it adds up very, very quickly.

Finally, be concerned about the debt. When you are up for a clearance, they do a credit check - having loads of debt will affect your ability to get clearances. (Do a search - this topic has been covered on AW recently.)

Perhaps I painted the wrong picture. I am not sitting here awaiting the grim knock of the repo man. I was bored this morning so I started playing with a microsoft excell spreadsheet, and I realized that things might get a little "tight" with my current meager wages as a construction worker. $1298 is sizzlin' for BAH. That just made my day.

KBayDog

It sounds good, but you'd be surprised how far that money doesn't go in the Quantico area. You don't want to live too far from Camp Barrett (the 0430 on deck times start to suck). You also need to factor in utilities, insurance, etc., etc., etc.

You know it's coming, so do yourself a huge favor and start budgeting for it YESTERDAY.

VAmookie

KBayDog said:
There are NO $2 binders out there. If you are lucky, you'll find a place within 30 miles that actually carries them after a TBS class picks up, and if you are even lucker, they'll be less than $10 a piece

Does it have to be a specific 3 inch binder, or can i just go to office depot and pick out a black Avery Brand binder like what was used in high school/college?

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
Maybe this was the case for my platoon, but we've never had an instance where the ops fund rep was always asking for money. All he ever asked for was the monthly ops fund dues, which turned out to be a problem in and of itself - what's so hard about paying $36 a month and turning the check in on time when you've had PLENTY of notice? Anything else that needed to be paid for came up for a vote by the platoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.