• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How intense is NROTC physically?

swampertness

I'm sort of worried about the pt part of nrotc. I currently run about 5 miles on average each day 5 days a week in track and field. My upper body strength isn't that good since I can only do about 52 push ups at once. My core strength is even worse and I can only manage 63 curl ups in 2 minutes. Do you think I would be able to handle nrotc? I'm a girl, btw, and I'm wondering if I was competitive enough for a scholarship

jtmedli

pilot
Google the Navy PRT standards. I think that, for a girl, you running 25 miles a week and doing 52 pushups and 63 curlups means you should be pretty good to go. I wasn't a ROTC guy though so they may have more stringent standards than the minimums during the admissions process.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The curl ups done IAW PRT standards really don't test your core strength as much as your leg strength IMO since your feet are anchored down when doing them, forcing a lot of the strain to go into your legs. For leg (and overall core strength as a matter of fact) start doing some lifting, as in deadlifts, squats, and cleans. If you don't know how to lift safely, find someone who knows what they're doing to show you.

CAMike

None
Contributor
It's all about being a homo / semi physically fit human being. Meet the expectations and let the chips fall where they may...

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Challenging, no, but you might want to practice max curl ups in 2 minutes, (2 min rest), max push ups in 2 minutes, (2 min rest) followed by a timed 1.5 mile run. If you can meet the min (aim for GOOD category), then you'll be fine. Running 5 miles is wholly different then running 1.5 miles for time. It's all about time. Once you practice the Navy PFA and "get it", you'll have no issues.

Female 17-19 PFA Standards said:

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
How about when visiting campuses swing by the local NROTC unit and ask in person? Each NROTC unit has its own PT regiment and it might be beneficial to talk to someone already in the program and could give you a better scoop on how to prepare and what to expect.

swampertness

Challenging, no, but you might want to practice max curl ups in 2 minutes, (2 min rest), max push ups in 2 minutes, (2 min rest) followed by a timed 1.5 mile run. If you can meet the min (aim for GOOD category), then you'll be fine. Running 5 miles is wholly different then running 1.5 miles for time. It's all about time. Once you practice the Navy PFA and "get it", you'll have no issues.
My mile time is about 7 minutes.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Based on the avatar swampertness is female, so 7 min mile is well above what she'll need. Good on the 1.5 mile is a 13:30 for 17-19 year olds, so a 9 min pace. I doubt after max sit-ups/pushups she'll drop that far.

Narishma

At the unit I'm currently a part of, we do unit PT once a week, usually Wednesday mornings at 0530. Workouts can vary from a 5 mile run to doing calisthenics or sprints on a track. Another popular one for when there is inclement weather is doing stairs indoors. I'm in pretty good shape, so the workouts are easy for me, but we do have midshipmen who have trouble with 3 mile runs while running in the slow group, which is usually at a 10 min pace. It is important to keep up your own physical training though, as running once a week isn't going to help you stay in shape.
From what you put though, swampertness, you'll be fine, and as long as you get your curlup score up, you'll probably one of the top performers at your unit. The best way to increase curlups is just through practice. Just do them for 2 minutes each evening, and you'll see your numbers going up little by little.