• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How hard is the FALANT test?

Robbie

Hello,

I am 15 years old and slightly colorblind when it comes to those Ishihara plate tests, but some of them I can get. I think I can pass the FALANT/Optec 900 test. How hard is the FALANT/Optec 900 test? I want to be a naval aviator. I live in Southern California and was wondering if I can go somewhere to get tested and take the FALANT test? Let me know if you have any info! Thanks

MikeMillerUK

Nearing the end of Primary
Contributor
FALANT is very easy. It uses actual lights on a little lantern, and you have to call out what color you see. I think it shows red, white, and green. Super easy; if you can differentiate colors at a traffic light, you'll probably be okay. Granted, this was my personal experience with the test, so take it with a grain of salt. Your mileage may vary.

Robbie

I just hope I can pass. It has been my lifetime goal to fly for a long time and to lose it for a simple thing like this will be very very disappointing, and I can differentiate traffic lights pretty easily haha

Last edited:

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
I don't know if it's really a question of easy or hard, but there are many Naval Aviators who can pass the the FALANT but not the PIP, myself included. I also think the FALANT is more representative of the type of color differentiation required to safely fly. Why the Air Force insists on the plates, I don't know.

ltedge46

Lost in the machine
None
Same here, blue/green hue colorblind so I usually pass about 70% of the plates but ace the Falant. 2 small dots of light on top of each other and you call out the colors (red-white, green-red, white-white etc)

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
It's incredibly easy (and I can't pass the Ishihara plates). To be frank, if you can't pass the FALANT, you probably wouldn't be confused by a green santa claus, assuming that you have a red-green deficiency.

Here's some more information on the Farnsworth (FALANT) lantern test. I don't know if there is a simulation online. Some AME's (civilian flight surgeons) have them in their office. The Air Force is moving to a test (can't remember name) that's even more stringent than the PIP test.

The cone contrast test. And I've heard it is a pain.