• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

how hard is it to become an intelligence officer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pip

I was wondering if anyone out there could tell me what are truly competitive test scores if you want to go into crypto or intel. And do you know how things are weighted in the application process, i.e. GPA, life experience, recommendations, etc... also, is there anyone out there who could verify some of what I am hearing: the military is hungry for cryptology and intelligence officers but there is a 4 to 6 % acceptance rate. Any infomation regarding getting accepted into either of these programs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

mimisoko9

Not a highly informative (or informed) response, but my recuiter was saying the other day that intel is the community hardest to get applicants accepted. I was surpised to hear this. He made it sound like they're interested only in the most academically accomplished individuals and it's tough to find or place anyone who's up to the standards.

And also-though he and I didn't talk about this-intel applicants are more closely scrutinized when it comes to security clearance. A little thing in your past may be a big deal to the navy now.

Enishi1983

Solid Snake
yeah, i know a commander that works for the pentagon (well actually, he retired, but the pentagon+navy called him back offering more money b/c of 9/11; he didn't have to ask for the raise either!!!). i have to say, he is VERY careful about what he says, and VERY introverted. i remember going to a friend's party where practically everyone was either warrant officers or officers in the navy and the usmc; this guy was the only person that looked like he wasn't having fun! though he looked pretty depressed, he was very intelligent and interesting to listen to when he was talking about his experience with the pentagon and the navy.

i'm not saying all ppl will be like this, but it's just a warning~~~

twidget

Deskaholic
Pip,

I don't know about Intel, they were my second choice but I never heard back from them. I was selected for Crypto with an OAR of 62 7/7/7. I'm an Active Duty ET1(SW) with 12 years in. I had a 3.2 in Engineering Tech. from ODU. I also had excellent interviews and COs endorsement (all 10s), and 3 letters of recommendation, 2 LTs and 1 CAPT.

c0bounds

I don't know if this helps...but I was pro req'd for cryptology just last week. I have no prior military experience. My GPA was 3.89 with a political science degree, I got a 60 and my recruiter told me that my having some ability with a foreign language really put me over the top.

twidget

Deskaholic
c0bounds,

Congrats! Maybe I'll finally get someone else in my 17 April Class. It took me about 3 weeks between getting a pro rec and the selection letter.

Status
Not open for further replies.