• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How does the selection process for the USNA work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrUSNA05

Unicorn NFO
None
The selection process is very long and complicated. It starts at the end of your junior year in high school. First you send in to get the application packet. There are many essays and the typical stuff in a college application. There is also an interview that must be completed with your local admissions officcer and a medical exam to ensure you are fit for military service. Then you must also apply to your senators and congressmen for a nomination. That is how they limit the number of people actually at the Academy at one time. I don't know how specific of an answer you wanted, but I hope this helps some.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
My admission process was kind of non-standard, I would recommend the first step being talking to your area Blue and Gold Officer. He or she can help guide you through the process and let you know when to do what.

WFU2USN

kawika,

You may want to post this question under the Navy Forum at www.military.com. There's a guy there, Mr. SWO, who can be a bit, blunt, but can give you some good info.

Good luck!

IS2(SCW)

heerothewizard

I heard the main selections process was a set of "rolling boards" wherein if you weren't selected the first time your packet was reviewed, you were bumped to the second board, then third, etc. So, the earlier your package is in the better! I'm not quite sure of the steps, but you see a Blue & Gold officer, get your official packet turned in, do your physical test, get medical testing, and finally get reviewed by the admissions board. Then the real "fun" begins :-D

McNamara

Copilot, actually.
pilot
As for the "who" of the decision, I know a bit about how the selection boards work. It's basically made up of various officers who review each candidate's profile and give a yes/no/maybe type of decision. I can't remember how much time they spend on each candidate, but it isn't long. By the way, you didn't hear this from me. ;) Good luck!

Check out http://www.usna.edu/Admissions/steps.htm. The process is described in detail there. If you're not yet a junior in high school, you might look into the USNA Summer Seminar. It is a week-long program offered in the summer between your junior and senior year of high school that is a spectacular opportunity to see what the place is like.

McNamara

Copilot, actually.
pilot
Absolutely do Summer Seminar if you can. It was a big part of my decision to attend the Academy, even though I went to the Seminar with the attitude of "let me see what I don't like so I can have an excuse to go to a different college." It turned out to be a positive experience, and I knew more about what to expect out of Plebe Summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.