• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How does order of choices affect selection?

EmperorBrandonI

Unless I'm getting the wrong impression from reading this forum(and the OCS application form), when you apply for OCS you put down three choices of the job you want. How exactly does that work as far how you get selected and for what? Do you go through a general selection process and then career specific boards based on your preference? Do they look at what you have down and forward it to the appropriate board based on what the Navy needs?

For example, if I have 1. SWO 2. IW 3. Nuclear Engineer, but the Navy doesn't need that many SWOs or IW, but does need nuclear. Would I just get forwarded to the nuclear board right away?

Also, while I'm here, I got VA disability for sleep apnea(auto 50%) and an extra 10% for a minor back issue. Neither of these anything that would have kept me from reenlisting when I was still in, and don't affect my physical performance as far as being able to to meet physical training requirements. Will that be a major stumbling block for me? I did notice that there is a section of the application that specifically states that I agree to waive my disability pay if selected and go to OCS , so I suppose it's not an automatic disqualifier, but I was just wondering how much it would hurt my chances.

tomcatfan

Final Select OCS 25 MARCH SNA
Your package will be sent to the individual boards that meet for the specific designators. If that designator does not have a board, your package will still be seen by the boards that are meeting on your designator list. I put down 1)SNA and 2)SNFO and only the SNA board met, there was no SNFO board that month. Also you don't have to put 3 choices, only the designators you want. I hope that helps. As far as the med stuff, you'll have to check with others that have more knowledge in that area.

exNavyOffRec

Unless I'm getting the wrong impression from reading this forum(and the OCS application form), when you apply for OCS you put down three choices of the job you want. How exactly does that work as far how you get selected and for what? Do you go through a general selection process and then career specific boards based on your preference? Do they look at what you have down and forward it to the appropriate board based on what the Navy needs?

For example, if I have 1. SWO 2. IW 3. Nuclear Engineer, but the Navy doesn't need that many SWOs or IW, but does need nuclear. Would I just get forwarded to the nuclear board right away?

Also, while I'm here, I got VA disability for sleep apnea(auto 50%) and an extra 10% for a minor back issue. Neither of these anything that would have kept me from reenlisting when I was still in, and don't affect my physical performance as far as being able to to meet physical training requirements. Will that be a major stumbling block for me? I did notice that there is a section of the application that specifically states that I agree to waive my disability pay if selected and go to OCS , so I suppose it's not an automatic disqualifier, but I was just wondering how much it would hurt my chances.

We just had a person with 40% disability attempt to get back in, they were denied, anything 30% or over and the odds of N3M appoving it are slim to none.

EmperorBrandonI

Thanks. While I do have some specific ideas of what I want to do, at the end of the day, I just really want to become an officer, so I'll probably fill out all my choices. Heck, I'm I might even to apply for Army OCS and Air Force OTS just to further broaden my chances of getting back into the military as an officer this time(though Navy is still my first choice).

EmperorBrandonI

We just had a person with 40% disability attempt to get back in, they were denied, anything 30% or over and the odds of N3M appoving it are slim to none.

Do you think the nature of the disability would come into play? Sleep apnea is that weird one where you get a high percentage automatically despite it not even affecting you while you're still AD. I suppose the best I can do is just apply though.

EmperorBrandonI

I wonder if there is anyway to get a disability downgraded by the VA and if that would have an effect. The 50% is because I was prescribed a CPAP machine, but I don't actually use or have one.

EmperorBrandonI

I've been researching the VA disability issue, and it appears that if I were to go to the VA and show improvement to get the disability rating lowered, especially since I'm within my first 5 years of benefits. So assuming that I can get my rating lowered, I would then need to find out if N3M would pay attention to the current rating or any historical rating.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I wonder if there is anyway to get a disability downgraded by the VA and if that would have an effect. The 50% is because I was prescribed a CPAP machine, but I don't actually use or have one.

I'm not a doc but I do have a lot of experience with sleep apnea. If you were prescribed a CPAP machine and don't use it EVERY time you sleep you are asking for serious, life threatning health issues down the road. Congestive heart failure is a very likely result of untreated sleep apnea. That's no joke my friend. It WILL shorten your life and you will eventually die from it. Ask me how I know.

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...

Did they do a sleep study? I'm guessing so. Yeah you can get things downgraded but I'm sure you would have to endure some more testing to prove that the downgrade is there. The way the 2807 and 2808s that you fill out at MEPs are worded, they ask "have you ever recieved payment for disability?" then you have to answer YES, I'm guessing you could do a half truth if you got it reduced and just put what you were rated disability for. I'm just throwing my 2 cents in because I went through MEPs yesterday. I do not have a disability rating.

LFDtoUSMC

pilot
Contributor

So, you are getting paid for a 50% rating (50% because of the need for CPAP). However you just admitted that you don't need the CPAP. But are still accepting the 50% payments????

Correct me if I read that wrong. But that seems very dishonest in my mind.

However. As Rocket alluded to; if the docs think you should be using CPAP then by God use it. Not using will cause irreparable harm over time.

I would be willing to bet a significant percentage of the people I deal with at work are sick because of nothing more than their own non-compliance with medications and physicians recommendations. Just a little food for thought.

exNavyOffRec

So, you are getting paid for a 50% rating (50% because of the need for CPAP). However you just admitted that you don't need the CPAP. But are still accepting the 50% payments????

Correct me if I read that wrong. But that seems very dishonest in my mind.

However. As Rocket alluded to; if the docs think you should be using CPAP then by God use it. Not using will cause irreparable harm over time.

I would be willing to bet a significant percentage of the people I deal with at work are sick because of nothing more than their own non-compliance with medications and physicians recommendations. Just a little food for thought.

The use of the machine has nothing to do with receiving the money, the money is because of the condition and the effects it has on a persons life, in order to reduce the issues the doc says use the machine, if he doesn't use it he is risking his own health. It would be no different if a person had arthritis and was given pain meds but decided not to take them. Given what I know about sleep apnea he should be using the machine, I would not want to take the chance by not using it.

LFDtoUSMC

pilot
Contributor
The use of the machine has nothing to do with receiving the money, the money is because of the condition and the effects it has on a persons life, in order to reduce the issues the doc says use the machine, if he doesn't use it he is risking his own health. It would be no different if a person had arthritis and was given pain meds but decided not to take them. Given what I know about sleep apnea he should be using the machine, I would not want to take the chance by not using it.

Understood. I don't know much about the VA or how they handle ratings and pay. It just sounded a little off. Thank you for the clarification.