• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How does one select the UAV out of Primary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
I started thinking, and I noticed there's not much talk about the UAV. What kind of grades does one need? Is it an airframe sought after a lot? What's the vision requirements to be a UAV pilot? Will I need PRK? Do UAV pilots still wear the flight suit and the aviator glasses? What's life like as an UAV pilot? Is the time logged considered PIC? Thanks so much for the info.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Just put it on your selection card. I forget what the minimum NSS is...

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Join the Air Force. Their UAV pilots wear flight suits. Why?...I'm not sure.

trt23

dude, i don't know if your questions are a joke or not. if they aren't, then you might be better off buying ace combat 4 and some 12 dollar glasses from wal-mart.
UAV pilots (especially the fact that they wear flight suits) are teh ghey.

thumper

You have to be careful when selecting the UAV...I heard that is the same pipeline as the Blimb Corps.

-Thumper

"I hope both sides lose."

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Navy ones wear flt suits too. The UAV det on the LPD on my 1st deployment was headed by an F-14 RIO LCDR, assisted by 2 flt school flunkies. I still haven't figured out why one needs a flight suit to operate a remote-control airplane.

Don't worry, future Marine pilots! UAVs are still a B-Billet opportunity to excel! Actually, they're such high-demand items these days, it probably isn't a bad deal.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Funny because its so true:

Attachments

• small broadside.JPG
    small broadside.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 184

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
phrogdriver said:
Navy ones wear flt suits too. The UAV det on the LPD on my 1st deployment was headed by an F-14 RIO LCDR, assisted by 2 flt school flunkies. I still haven't figured out why one needs a flight suit to operate a remote-control airplane.

Don't worry, future Marine pilots! UAVs are still a B-Billet opportunity to excel! Actually, they're such high-demand items these days, it probably isn't a bad deal.

you never know when the computer monitor might arc after he rubs his bare feet on carpet.... causing that little spark that would send a regular khaki shirt to go up in flames... lol

Rotorhead

Officers don't fly UAVs in the Marine Corps. If you end up there (on a B billet), you will be a supervisor, not a flyer. Enlisted folks are the ones who fly them.

Why in the heck would you want to fly a model airplane instead of a real aircraft anyway?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
You still get to go to the school, regardless. You fly UAVs instead of real aircraft because the alternative might be a completely non-operational billet. There can also be other bennies. For ex, at Cherry Point as of 2yrs ago, the VMU unit had jobs still on DIFOP orders, so you could still get your 100 hrs/yr flying your flt airframe during a B-billet and stay current. I don't know if that's still the case, but it's not a bad deal. The VMUs are deploying a lot now, so if you're due to leave a squadron, it might not be a bad deal, if you're into that kind of thing.

UAVs are the wave of the future, guys. 30 years, and strike pilots will be waiting in line for gov't cheese! :sly_125:

Jaxs170

www.YANKEESSUCK.com
My boss here at Vance is going to to UAVs (Global Hawk) pretty soon. If this is a serious question write back and I will ask him what the selection process is on the AF side. As far as the Navy side goes, I have no idea other than a lot of P-3 guys being very worried that they may end up flying them if the new MMA ends up having a UAV element attached to it along with the 737s.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What P-3 guys are seriously worried about this? All that's been mentioned is a UAV control post onboard the MMA. I sincerely doubt any winged naval aviators are going to be in an operational squadron, and only qualified to pilot a UAV. The more likely scenario is an AW type enlisted guy onboard whose job is to put the UAV where the TACCO wants it, while the pilots fly the "mothership" or whatever you want to call it.

Status
Not open for further replies.