• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How does homeschooling affect NROTC

Spatz

3 Green
Hey,
I would like to know how homeschooling changes your chances at being accepted into the NROTC program. Most colleges don't seem to accept it nearly as much, and I'm interested in seeing how NROTC sees it.

Thanks,
Spatz

croakerfish

pilot
Hey,
I would like to know how homeschooling changes your chances at being accepted into the NROTC program. Most colleges don't seem to accept it nearly as much, and I'm interested in seeing how NROTC sees it.

Thanks,
Spatz
As long as you have a diploma and a GPA from somewhere it should be fine. If you are off the grid or something it could be a problem.

Spatz

3 Green
Thanks for replying!
What about an NROTC scholarship, does the same apply for this as well? I've also heard that they look for things like leadership as well, but with homeschooling, there isn't much of a chance for leadership/school politics and the like on a school level. What can I do to raise my chances in this aspect?

Thanks,
Spatz

croakerfish

pilot
Thanks for replying!
What about an NROTC scholarship, does the same apply for this as well? I've also heard that they look for things like leadership as well, but with homeschooling, there isn't much of a chance for leadership/school politics and the like on a school level. What can I do to raise my chances in this aspect?

Thanks,
Spatz
I would recommend extracurricular stuff like Boy Scouts to get some leadership. You’re right, in your case school alone won’t cut it.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for replying!

Thanks,
Spatz
Leadership can come from many activities: church, athletics, clubs, community centers, and anywhere you can volunteer hours. Volunteer to run an activity, then put it on your application. Some of these volunteer activities may also result in a favorable Letter of Recommendation. Go, do good things.

Spatz

3 Green
Leadership can come from many activities: church, athletics, clubs, community centers, and anywhere you can volunteer hours. Volunteer to run an activity, then put it on your application. Some of these volunteer activities may also result in a favorable Letter of Recommendation. Go, do good things.
This makes sense, thanks! I'm involved in several of these things actively, so this certainly helps. Much appreciated!

exNavyOffRec

This makes sense, thanks! I'm involved in several of these things actively, so this certainly helps. Much appreciated!
How long until you graduate HS.

I worked with several home school students that completed college and went in via OCS, they all did fantastic in college.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Hey,

Thanks,
Spatz
As a former-homeschooler, I didn’t have a problem getting into any college, undergrad or grad and it wasn’t an issue when I received my commission (I didn’t attend OCS though). There are umbrellas and co-ops that deal directly with the state for your diploma and state graduation requirements.