• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How do you make yourself "like" to run

Feliks

Dont judge me new guy - oh wait...
DanielSon said:
I dunno, I'm pretty dangerous over short distances. I could always just catch it using sheer manliness. (see avatar and note hairy shoulders)

If hairy shoulders increase your manliness then im doin pretty good!

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Coota0 said:
You might try looking at your running style...are you a tense runner? Do you "pound" the pavement when you run? trying to stay lose helps and it keeps those muscles from getting quit so sore.
I read an article that said to try leaning forward from you ankles, I tried it, my bones and muscles didn't get sore as quickly and momentum upped my speed and helped me to force myslef to keep going.

I used to hit the ground too hard. Picking my heels higher up worked out my legs more while running, but made my stride bigger. IT took running with someone else to point that out to me.

batman527

Banned
KBayDog said:
Or repel it based on sheer B.O. (see avatar and note hairy shoulders)

I think we may have stumbled upon a new form of propulsion that requires no oil to produce! It only takes a sixty hour work-week cleaning toilettes and an unwillingness to shower on a regular basis.

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
Coota0 said:
I read an article that said to try leaning forward from you ankles, I tried it, my bones and muscles didn't get sore as quickly and momentum upped my speed and helped me to force myslef to keep going.
Sounds quite a bit like one of the focuses incorporated in the running form Danny Dreyer recommends in his book ChiRunning. Might sound a little silly, I know, but he's a student of a Tai Chi master and uses some of the same stuff in his training for ultramarathons, which he's won in his age division, so he knows what he's talking about. He's got some pretty good ideas in his book for ways to focus on your technique to a) not get so bored and b) run more efficiently. Just something you guys might like to check out.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
I guess that makes sense. You're pushing more ground behind you instead of pushing up into the air and slamming back down.

Lawman

None
Slammer2 said:
I guess that makes sense. You're pushing more ground behind you instead of pushing up into the air and slamming back down.

I used to have this problem. Started picking up my knees and leaning forward as well as purposefully letting my shoulders go almost limp. I know, it may look all sexy to those girls around the campus to have your arms locked in a rigid 90 degree stance, but it causes your neck muscles to stay tensed and after about 1.5-2 miles my back and neck were always cramping up.

Another good question, have you looked around at good running shoes. I started running in cheap 30 dollar tennis shoes from Target.... bad idea. By week 2 I was so sore with shin splints and running just plain hurt. Went and tried out a bunch of differnt running shoes, found one that I really liked, pain is gone and I was almost 2 minutes faster because I could push myself harder without beating myself up.