• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How do you make yourself "like" to run

jbright44

So I'm preparing to apply for Marine OCS as a civilian. I'm a lot out of shape right now (it's a struggle for me to just run 1 mile, let alone 3). I'm also about 25 lbs over weight. I've never been a runner because I always hated it. I did it in highschool while playing football but not religiously. When it came to cardio, I always did something else like biking, rowing machine, eliptical trainer, etc. I find myself trying to prepare for the PFT and once again it's back to running.

I really want to become a Marine Officer and I really want to become an aviator. I really want to be able to pass this PFT so I can get my shot.

So, with that said, how many of you were civilians before going into OCS that were terribly out of shape? Provide me some inspiration here.

Second, how do you guys that hate running make yourself "like" to run (or at least tolerate it for 3-7 miles?

Jameski

Samsonite... I was WAY off!!
Hey jbright,

I know what you mean. I had surgery a couple of months ago so I haven't been able to run or do much of anything besides sitting at my desk at work for awhile. Although I have my packet in for a SNA and not in the Marines, I am still trying to get back in shape so that I can PASS the PRT. Since I can't really run yet, I have been using my rowing machine (Erg) everyday after work as well as one of those exercise balls. I'll be honest, I thought those things were kind of dumb at first but when I started during sit-ups, push-ups, ect. on it, wow!! It really helps a lot!

Anyways, I don't like running much either but I try to force myself to do it. I also listen to a CD I made with more upbeat songs on it...I put songs my crew coach in college had us listen to when we would do those piece of crap 10,000m sprints (those who have rowed know how crappy those are) and seems to motivate me through 3-4 miles. Good luck! :)

JTD

jbright44 said:
I've never been a runner because I always hated it. I did it in highschool while playing football but not religiously.

Didn't you say in an earlier post that you had 7% body fat while you "ran track" in highschool. Are you just screwing around?

jayjiggums

Once you force yourself to run, and start to get in better shape, it'll begin to grow on you. I always hated running, but now that I'm pursuing a commission, I'm on a strict routine. I hated every step at first, but now I can't wait to prove to myself that I can run an extra mile. Give your self some time (about a month in my case) to start enjoying it.

BurghGuy

Master your ego, and you own your destiny.
zab1001 said:
camelback

gatorade + vodka

Theadjack:
We did that a few times. Margaritas work well too. Picked the idea up initially at a Jimmy Buffet concert, pain in the butt to clean though. Recomend buying a seperate bladder. My roomate would do the gatorade and vodka trick all the time with a gatorade bottle. People just thought he was staying fit...
End Theadjack.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
"liking" to run is rare. I'm an aquatic athlete by nature, and have never been a big fan of running. That aside, I force myself to get out there very day. It sucks, and I hate it, but its a part of the lifestyle. Plus, it helps me maintain my girlish figure...

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I actually saw a guy smoke during a PRT. I mean...DURING THE RUN. He finished around 9:30...just....awesome...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
zab1001 said:
I actually saw a guy smoke during a PRT. I mean...DURING THE RUN. He finished around 9:30...just....awesome...

We had a Masterchief that was like that. I never actually saw him smoke during the run, but definitely before and after, and he ran at the front of the group (probably about the same time).

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Running with friends, at crazy locations is for me really inspiring and (used to) take up a good deal of my time. And about music, The Rocky IV soundtrack, (hearts on fire) really, really motivating. Set goals for yourself, watch PRE (short for Prefontaine) Running Brave, and other >CC> (cross country) movies. Run at dusk, Run at dawn, run along the beach, run into the beach. The best wayto get excited about running is to just plain RUN, and then look back at your improvement.

I hate running with no purpose but to run. Try running a mile or as much as you can and then playing a pickup game of soccer or basketball (any sport that requires a lot of running). Or play one of the above said sports and then try running. Also you could try riding an exercise bike for 10-15 minutes and then go running. Invest in a mp3 player to help take your mind off of the fact that you are running.

Just things that helped me.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
BurghGuy said:
Theadjack:
We did that a few times. Margaritas work well too. Picked the idea up initially at a Jimmy Buffet concert, pain in the butt to clean though. Recomend buying a seperate bladder. My roomate would do the gatorade and vodka trick all the time with a gatorade bottle. People just thought he was staying fit...
End Theadjack.

You wanna know what that drink is called? It's referred to as the "Jockstrap.":tongue2_1

:D

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
jbright44 said:
Second, how do you guys that hate running make yourself "like" to run (or at least tolerate it for 3-7 miles?

just keep doing it. I started running because I sucked at it and needed the practice, but I still hated it. After several months, it wasnt something I did for fun, but I didn't hate it anymore. I just didnt like it. Then it progressed to me running as an excuse to get out of the house, cure boredom, etc. Just keep doing it as much as you can. Now if you're talking about some kind of training program, then dont just do it as much as you can. But if you're trying to learn how to like it more all you need is repetition.

Repetition penetrates even the dullest of minds

But I would agree that its more fun running with someone, unless of course that person constantly smokes you on the runs (good for training but not esteem)