• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How do i look?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan02891

Im just looking to see how competitive i am for a SNA slot with the Navy. Heres a little about me.

-Im a sophmore at Keene State College (NH) majoring in Business Managament. 3.7 GPA.
-Asvab score putting me in top 5-10%, 1360 SATs.
-Bi-Lingual (English and German) and semi-fluent in French.
-I have a Private License + Instrument Rating.
-Beach lifeguard for 3 years.
-Volunteer with sick children at local hospital.
-Planning on staying with a friend in Daytona this summer and finishing up my flying (Commercial, Multi and CFI) and working as a Volusia County Lifeguard.
-I have a job lined up with the local FBO here in Keene to give instruction. Could average around 800-1000 hours a year for 2 years, giving me close to 2000 hours at graduation.
-Getting PRK this winter, lets assume it goes well.
-Good shape, can run 3 miles in around 20 minutes. Lift 3 times a week and have no health issues.

Im interested in both BDCP and OCS. Also, when are you selected for a Pilot slot (Both for OCS and BDCP). Is it before signing, or after you complete OCS? Thanks!

PS. If i took a minor in computer science, would that help me?

Bevo16

pilot
Don't worry about the CS minor. There are probably more pilots with history and political science majors than something math or computer related. The hours will help, just keep the grades up and don't get in trouble. If I were you, I would start applying to whatever programs that you might be elligable for ASAP. Even if you don't get picked up right away, your chances go up with the more you apply.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Echo what bevo said. Don't ever, ever, delay an application. On completion of your Soph year you can apply for BDCP. Don't let flying or other work drop your grades. 3.7 is ok for a non tech/sci major. You didn't mention age. They are loking for the youngest candidates they can get. Can't apply for pilot until after PRK and a specified wait, don't recall what it is. See a recruiter ASAP. If he recomends taking the ASTB do so. Good Luck.

Sophro

SNA--13 Nov 2004
Just apply, dude. Try your best to keep the GPA up. Play a sport. Don't worry about the flying, believe me. Stay healthy. Most importantly, score at least a 50 OAR on the ASTB. Try to get straight 7's or above on the individual sections, especially aviation-related ones.

sassen

don't want to burst your bubble but it's a crap shoot, you sound **** hot but as i've gone through the program i've met a ton of dumbasses and i've met a ton of really smart dudes, you need to rock the ASTB, it's how the navy evens out the playing field for people from so many different backgrounds, oh and honestly the navy doesn't seem to care how much private flight time you have, the more time you have the more they will have to unteach you so you can learn things their way, don't worry about what everyone else is doing and just apply, if you get in great if not reapply until you do

you will have to get a prk waiver from medical, but that doesn't seem to be a big issue provided it's done correctly

Ryan02891

Thanks for all the advice, you've definatly helped me out alot. As far as me logging more time, thats my backup plan. If for some reason i dont get picked up by the navy, i can go fly for a regional when i graduate. And as far as the ASTB goes, im not too worried. Test taking has always been a strong point for me, i scored in the top 5% in the asvab my senior year of high school. Any other advice in how i can strengthen my resume would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if selected for BDCP or OCS, are you assigned a flight slot before or after signing the contract??

R

RickyDT34

You will apply for and get BDCP, OCS, and flight school at the same time. Do not sign your contract without the flight slot (if that is what you want).

Status
Not open for further replies.